Hey this is my first post!

Basically, I disconnected the battery in my 2001 octavia 1.6 mk1 to try start another car! When I reconnected it two lights showed up on the dash! One light is the ABS and the other is the ASR light! Then I was driving it and hit a pothole (hole in the road), at some speed and the brake fluid level warning light came on! It beeps 3 times when the car is started then keeps flashing!

I'm just wondering what this could be?

Iv checked all the fuses and checked the brake fluid level! There is no difference in the performance of the brakes!

Could it the that the fluid sensor is just not working?

The car is going into the garage on Tuesday! And won't be driven until it's fixed!

Thanks

So what light is it? You've mentioned the ABS, ASR and fluid lights. Or is it all 3?

The ABS and ASR are part of the same ECU, if you have a fault on the ABS system, the ASR can not work.

You'll need to get it on a diagnostics machine (preferably VCDS), and check for fault codes. Most common problems are the wheel speed sensors. 

All three lights are on now! I'm wondering if its actually a problem with the brakes or did the abs and asr lights come on because I connected the battery in the wrong order and have blown something like a sensor or something in the process of connecting the battery and hitting the pothole triggered the brake fluid sensor light to go off? Or can this happen?

I know very little about cars by the way!

I don't think it's a fault in the abs or asr system because the asr light and abs light came on straight after I reconnected the battery! The brake fluid light came on a day later when I hit the pothole!

It may not have any connection with the battery at all , you said you got in a hole that may cause problems with any of abs sensors in the wheels , that happened to me so it may help you  ,check with vcds .

• 4 years later...
14 hours ago, Bingicus_McMaximus said:

Larry did the fuse stop the handbrake light from flashing and beeping ?? If so which one I’m chasing the same issue lol really annoying brake fluid is at max 

Alternatively, is the HB lever applying pressure on the switch?

• Like 1

On 14/03/2019 at 21:06, Bingicus_McMaximus said:

It is when it’s in the off position yes it will light up handbrake then after few seconds will start beeping and flashing even stationary it’s flashing and beeping 

I’ve sorted it was wire to brake level sensor it’s abit dodgy lol