DSG Brake Pedal too High

BD314

The brake pedal on my DSG 4x4 is about 40mm higher than the throttle pedal. This means when I brake, rather than slide my foot across, I have to lift it first which can be very annoying, especially if I have to brake in a hurry and I sometimes catch my foot on it. I'm not sure if this is particular to the 4x4 or does anyone else have this problem?

The brake pedal on my DSG 4x4 is about 40mm higher than the throttle pedal. This means when I brake, rather than slide my foot across, I have to lift it first which can be very annoying, especially if I have to brake in a hurry and I sometimes catch my foot on it. I'm not sure if this is particular to the 4x4 or does anyone else have this problem?

I have to agree with andrehj - I think this is the same in nearly all cars, in fact I can't think of any car (auto or manual) where the throttle is not set back quite a bit in some instances. The only exception is maybe some very old cars where pedals were set at odd levels

I'm inclined to agree that there is something in this and not just with DSGs. I've been driving the manual for a couple of months now and have noticed my shoe catching the side of the brake pedal occasionally when sliding across during a quicker stop. It is definitely in a slightly different(?) position, maybe sticks out slightly more in relation to the throttle than on my old Mondeo. I don't think it is a safety problem, though - just something to which a new driver needs to adapt.

The brake pedal is higher intentionally, its to reduce the risk of the wrong pedal being pressed by mistake. IIRC every VAG car has the throttle pedal lower than the brake pedal, even my 11 year old Audi has this setup.

• Like 2

It's not only VAG. Our Renault Twingo has it as well, and so did our 1999 Renault Laguna. In fact, I think that in all the vehicles I have ever driven (cars, tractors etc), the brake pedals were positioned higher than the accelerator pedal.