60 Plate Superb HID upgrade, help please!

Only had the car for a few weeks but already fed up with driving round by candle light.  Quite fancy some 4300k hids.  I definatley dont want to enter into the age old debate on whether or not to install them or not.

Basically I am looking for a friendly fellow member either in the West Oxfordshire area or North Swindon / Highworth area to help me install them plus negate any potential problems by using VCDS.  I have the technical abillity of a 2 fingered monkey and would not know where to start.

There is a garage relatively local to me that charge  £130 for the conversion but if the kits most people buy off ebay are only £30 -60 then i would rather do this.

Do i buy canbus 'friendly' or not?

Your help really would be appreciated and shown with a few beers or a donation to the charity of your choice ;-) 

Edited by copper2482

I'd check the alignment of the lights you have first. I had no problems seeing where I was going in my non HID Octavia. The HIDs are slightly brighter (I was running +30% brightness bulbs in the Octy), but that seems to me to be more due to the adaptive headlight functions while cornering than the light output.

My previous FL Octavia VRS had decent non HID lights, but on the Superb these appear aligned ok but are just very poor. I contemplated some Osram Nightbreakers but for a slightly bigger investment that may last longer I fancy the increased light of HIDs.

From what I've seen on threads about this it's almost down to luck whether you get lights that work perfectly or give can bus errors. The only advice I can give is to buy from a seller who allows you to return the lights easily if they don't work for you.

I have installed many cars with the hid kits, most fit sweet, even the H4/3 kits with the moving shield for low/high beam make sure your friendly with your MOT tester as Hid kits should be self levelling and have head light washers, as the beam pattern is different with Hid's.

I have a HID kit on my 2011 Superb. Well recommended.

The difference is night and day!

There is only one kit to buy, a non-CANBUS 35W 4300K H7 kit from the eBay seller - London Colour...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270591842156?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The price has increased recently but for £39 these are unbeatable value.

Of course you need to then code the car, but this takes seconds with VCDS.

Do not be tempted to buy a CANBUS friendly kit. These are well documented to fry CCM's and wiper motor's.

My HID kit has been in almost two years now, I cover 30,000 miles a year which involves 3 hours use per day during the winter and they are still as good now as the day they were fitted.

Use the VCDS members map to find someone close to you...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

I have had my HIDs in for 2 years now, and have passed 2 MOT taxi tests with them in.

Do you drive with the light switch in the on position or the auto, leave it in the auto position, at all times,

You never have to touch it to turn the lights on or off again

Edited by skippy41

I am aware that you don't want to get in to the legal/illegal debate, but don't forget to tell your insurance company if you modify your headlights otherwise your insurance could be invalidated, and to risk knowingly driving without insurance is really not where you want to be going.

Read this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7861184.stm

• Like 1