Is this a good deal?

New MK3 Octy 1.6 TDi SE in Arctic white.

My 2012 Octy is coming to the end of its PCP deal in a few months.

Been offered the MK3 for My current Octy+£1500 for £198 per month on the 0% deal.

GFMV was £8772.

As far as i can see the total price of the car would equate to £19791

Does this seem pretty good to anyone?

Its the best i have managed to get and is making me re-consider the Mazda 3, which i was leaning heavily towards if i am honest, mainly because of all of the kit you get with it. lol

Edited by Guest

The Mazda 3 doesn't have a small diesel and the 2.2, whilst frugal and sporty, pushes up the cost too much imo. However, a 2.0 120ps petrol Sel-Nav comes in at around £18,900 on their 0% PCP deal. You'd get through a lot of miles to make up the £2350 extra the oil-burner costs, given the official 55mpg average the 2.0 120ps supposedly does.

If I was considering an Octavia 1.6 diesel, I'd go for the Greenline, for the extra 14mpg it (supposedly) does, 6 gears (5 for 1.6 non-greenline) plus the extra 5ps it has over the non-Greenline.

'Course, what do I know, I drive a box on wheels. Great fun chucking it through the bends though! :|

The Mazda 3 doesn't have a small diesel and the 2.2, whilst frugal and sporty, pushes up the cost too much imo. However, a 2.0 120ps petrol Sel-Nav comes in at around £18,900 on their 0% PCP deal. You'd get through a lot of miles to make up the £2350 extra the oil-burner costs, given the official 55mpg average the 2.0 120ps supposedly does.

If I was considering an Octavia 1.6 diesel, I'd go for the Greenline, for the extra 14mpg it (supposedly) does, 6 gears (5 for 1.6 non-greenline) plus the extra 5ps it has over the non-Greenline.

'Course, what do I know, I drive a box on wheels. Great fun chucking it through the bends though! :|

Been looking into the SE-L 2.0 petrol. Off to have another drive of one on Saturday so will see how that goes first probably

The Sel-Nav is more than £18900 though. The SE-L is £18795 list. 

Ok a year ago but, I got a (140ps) 1.4 TSI DSG Elegance for £20,305 now, I chuck mine about so I don't but, others are getting 42mpg outta the 1.4 petrol, kinda makes me understand why no manufacturer is spending any money developing diesel engines.  With the uproar thats starting on about diesel emissions I've gotta think diesel is a thing of the past, maybe not right now but soon and possible sooner than you all realise.

Ok a year ago but, I got a (140ps) 1.4 TSI DSG Elegance for £20,305 now, I chuck mine about so I don't but, others are getting 42mpg outta the 1.4 petrol, kinda makes me understand why no manufacturer is spending any money developing diesel engines.  With the uproar thats starting on about diesel emissions I've gotta think diesel is a thing of the past, maybe not right now but soon and possible sooner than you all realise.

I would have considered a petrol octavia, but the 1.2 won't be good enough for me, both power and mpg wise i suspect and the 1.4 is more expensive in road tax that the Mazda 2.0 l petrol, i think, but i stand to be corrected. 

Mazda3 Zero deposit, 0% APR* Representative
includes £500 Mazda Deposit Contribution on Mazda Personal Contract Purchase

The 2.0 120 ps petrol SEL-Nav (with Arctic white non metallic paint, the configurator initially adds £600+ for their fancy red metallic) is £19,395. With the £500 Mazda deposit contribution on their PCP finance, this brings it down to £18,895.

The thing is though the Se-l is £18295 after the 500 deposit contribution so it's like the navigation is £500 itself. I can live without the navigation. Use just my smartphone.

That Mazda 3 is a great deal. Like you said, the amount of toys! If it was available when I was buying back in summer 2013, I probably would have gone for one. Hope your drive goes ok and it would be interesting which comes out on top between the 3 and the Octavia mk3 1.6 diesel, especially given you've got the mk2 version to compare them against.

I agree.  The efficiency of diesel engines isn't what it used used to be.  It's a good example of technology going backwards.  I took mine on a very sedate 30 mile trip on the M54, about half was a 50 mph limit and the other I drove about 65/70.  The result was 48 mpg.  I'd have got more than from almost any diesel engine I've owned and I've owned lots. This engine has done almost 16k now so it's not exactly new.  I've no idea how some people return their figures but for me, they are woefully inefficient and way off the official figures. Go petrol would be my advice too.  

List price for the Octy SE with Arctic White paint is £20,100 so your total price to buy of £19,791 equates to a 1.5% discount. I understand that on the 0% PCP the best deals are around 7% discount so in theory the dealer still has around 5.5% or £1,100 to play with. I think if you push them a bit harder, you should be able to get at least another £20 per month reduction assuming its a 3 yr deal, poss £30 if you drive a very hard bargain! Good luck!

That Mazda 3 is a great deal. Like you said, the amount of toys! If it was available when I was buying back in summer 2013, I probably would have gone for one. Hope your drive goes ok and it would be interesting which comes out on top between the 3 and the Octavia mk3 1.6 diesel, especially given you've got the mk2 version to compare them against.

I drove a mazda 3 sport nav last week. The one with the head up display. Lol. Top gadget. Can't stretch to one of those though and wouldn't want the 18 inch wheels anyway. Had a couple of dealers come in around the £200 a month for one of the Se-l trimmed ones. So hopefully will be able to hammer out a deal soon. As good as the mk3 Octy is, I just think I may get bored of it sooner than trying another brand. And the mazda 0% offer for a car with do much equipment keeps drawing me back.

Had a "best and final offer" of £196 a month. 10k a year, 42 month pcp. Total price of car would come out at £19347. Still not sure this is good enough to keep me in the Skoda camp. Lol.

Managed to get a bit more off the Octavia. To the point where it is as cheap of not cheaper than the Mazda. That is the clincher for me. It's a matter of a few quid a month more than I currently pay on my pcp deal. So I am staying with Skoda. :-) went for a candy white one of anyone is interested. Lol. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

So sorry I didn't suggest this before (I didn't think you gonna were make your move that fast) but, get a carwow quote, give it to the dealer in question and ask the question "Can you match that", mine did £1,730 off list, if you haven't signed anything it ain't too late.

So sorry I didn't suggest this before (I didn't think you gonna were make your move that fast) but, get a carwow quote, give it to the dealer in question and ask the question "Can you match that", mine did £1,730 off list, if you haven't signed anything it ain't too late.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't signed anything yet. I have used carwow to get as far as i have. I think as i am chopping in the oct i currently have that it will be a struggle to get that much off tbh

You will only get 14% off if you don't take the finance and have no trade in. With 0% finance 7% is about the best you can expect. If you have to trade in, aim for about £1k more than We Buy Any Car would give you for your old banger! Don't forget the stealers have got to keep the coffee machines stocked up!

• Like 1

I took mine on a very sedate 30 mile trip on the M54, about half was a 50 mph limit and the other I drove about 65/70.  The result was 48 mpg.

Yikes.

Id be asking the stealers why they sold you a petrol when you asked for a diesel!

Best ive got on a Scotland to Kent trip is over 68mpg. Albeit that isn't a vRS. Got to be in summer as well. You wont manage those figures in winter. Looking around 60mpg in winter, no matter what sort of driving. Unless its fully stop start, then itll be less.

Yikes.

Id be asking the stealers why they sold you a petrol when you asked for a diesel!

Best ive got on a Scotland to Kent trip is over 68mpg. Albeit that isn't a vRS. Got to be in summer as well. You wont manage those figures in winter. Looking around 60mpg in winter, no matter what sort of driving. Unless its fully stop start, then itll be less.

Grrr. I knew I should have bought that Superb I went in for rather than this bone shaker with no suspension and a hole in the fuel tank. I actually did ok yesterday, similar journey was low 50s.

• Like 1

Grrr. I knew I should have bought that Superb I went in for rather than this bone shaker with no suspension and a hole in the fuel tank. I actually did ok yesterday, similar journey was low 50s.

The Octavia Estates are actually OK. Perhaps that would have been your best bet.

Problem with Superb, is the leather on the leather seats is rubbish. In fact, diabolical is a better word for it. Ive seen one ripped to shreds.

If you ask nicely, Matt will sell you his bone shaker Octy when his wife takes charge of buying their next vehicle. Believed to be a Citigo :D  Then you can compare the vRS with an Elegance lol

• Like 1

The Octavia Estates are actually OK. Perhaps that would have been your best bet.

Problem with Superb, is the leather on the leather seats is rubbish. In fact, diabolical is a better word for it. Ive seen one ripped to shreds.

If you ask nicely, Matt will sell you his bone shaker Octy when his wife takes charge of buying their next vehicle. Believed to be a Citigo :D  Then you can compare the vRS with an Elegance lol

My 6 year old 85,000 mile Superb interior is unmarked , maybe my arse is softer

My Berb seats also wore quite well but they were damn hot in the summer or on long journeys. Even 30 sec blast on the heated seats in winter and my jacksy was burning for the rest of the journey. If I go leather in future, will have to tick the ventilated option!

Happy to take a pic of my arse if it will help

With a name like Rich, I will have to decline that offer. If your name had been Rach however, then it could have been a different matter :D

As for the seats, don't worry, I believe you. I suspect part of the problem in the Superb I saw, was that it was a taxi. So perhaps not treated as well as it could be. Who knows.

Anyway, I shall take back my comment about the Superbs seats, and do beg the forgiveness of Rich and his backside :p

To be fair, the rest of the car was very nice. Albeit the Octy has a nicer steering wheel, and associated controls.

• Like 1

My Berb seats also wore quite well but they were damn hot in the summer or on long journeys. Even 30 sec blast on the heated seats in winter and my jacksy was burning for the rest of the journey. If I go leather in future, will have to tick the ventilated option!

Much cheaper and easier to not use the heater in the first place. Then you don't need to use the ventilator afterwards :p

You Yorkshire folk can be a strange lot :D

• Like 1