Service Schedule

Sippo

Is there anywhere online I can find a service schedule and what type of service needs doing when. For example, 2 years ago my Octy had a major service with cambelt. Then it had a minor service. Am I right in thinking it is a major service next. The car is on a fixed annual service.

they might do. I got Honda to update my service book for one of my old civics and it didnt matter which dealer I went to to get the info

Also, a major service at a skoda dealer is a rip off. You might aswell just get a minor service and as you have a older car I personaly wouldnt bother going to a dealer at all.

I service mine every 10k but write it all down on a spread sheet rather than worrying about dealer stamps. Done it for previous cars and a spread sheet full of info impressed buyers more than a few dealer stamps

Edited by ryan-re

If you ask the dealers you'll end up paying more than you should.

There is no such thing as a major or a minor service.

All the services are minor, and then depending on age or distance extra parts are replaced as required.

The issue is Skoda dealers will quite happily charge you the £259 for a 'major' service and do nothing more to the car than a 'minor' service.

The basics:

An oil filter change and fresh oil, together with a diagnostics check and visual inspection of the brakes, tyres and suspension. A stamp in the book, quick wash and vac and voila - a £139 minor service.

This varies by year, model and engine type, however as a rough guide the air, fuel and pollen filters are required every approx. 60,000 miles or 3 years.

These extra parts add about £80 when selected off the menu pricing at most dealers (varies by region).

They are listed under a 'major' service BUT in the small print "these are only replaced if required", so more often than not they aren't!

So, unless you can guarantee that when in for a 'major' service that the dealer will be replacing the air, fuel and pollen filters DO NOT pay for the £259 major service.

Other extras':

Cambelt - mileage varies but is always over 100,000 miles. Time is 4 years (on cars built before September 2010) or 5 years for those after.

Brake fluid. First change due at 3 years from new, then every 2 years after that. Mileage plays no part.

See all of Skoda's fixed pricing here. Click across the service and maintenance tabs...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing/

Oh I won't be paying the major service price, I will pay the minor cost just to get a stamp. I can then get someone else to do the other parts. What I wanted to know was how often should filters/spark plugs be changed? I only do 7k miles per year maximum.

Spark plugs on the petrol are done at the same interval as the fuel filter on the diesel.

I wouldn't be worrying about a Skoda stamp in the service book on a pre-FL car. It must be at least 7 years old now, receipts for parts are just as valuable as a main dealer stamp (the same book that contains the stamps will tell you at what time/mileage the spark plugs need changing).

If you are planning on asking someone else to do the air and fuel filters then get them to change the oil too, give the main dealers a miss altogether.

Saying that the £139 for a minor service isn't at all bad these days. This is why if you are determined to use a Skoda dealer then you may as well get them to do the spark plugs and fuel filter too. Buy the air and pollen filters from the parts department and fit them yourself. Even the wife could do it. Check out the clips on YouTube, takes minutes.

Edited by silver1011

• 7 months later...

i got a quote of 600 euros(Live in Germany) as i'd let the servicing slip (last done 2010) so now doing myself oils,filters, spakplugs, for 100 euros then the brake fluid done for 30 euros the rest is all checks according to the service schedule next up is the timing belt but got about 10000 miles til that's due just wish i could get a Haynes manual for my model (1.6 fsi petrol 2007 ) just a quick question though , do i need a screw back tool for pushing the pistons back in when i do the brake pads or can i just compress them back in , Thanks 

i got a quote of 600 euros(Live in Germany) as i'd let the servicing slip (last done 2010) so now doing myself oils,filters, spakplugs, for 100 euros then the brake fluid done for 30 euros the rest is all checks according to the service schedule next up is the timing belt but got about 10000 miles til that's due just wish i could get a Haynes manual for my model (1.6 fsi petrol 2007 ) just a quick question though , do i need a screw back tool for pushing the pistons back in when i do the brake pads or can i just compress them back in , Thanks

The 1.6 FSI doesn't have a cam belt, it has a cam chain.

Read this about proper maintenance of cars.

I push my car hard and co-operate with oil analysis lab.

REMEBER one most important thing - manufacturers RECOMMEND. You have to use your intelligence and common sense.

New cars engine oil change:

max. 10k km if driven long distances (over 50km)

max. 5k km if driven on short trips. Cold oil/engine causes 80% damage on engine parts.

Old cars over 100k km:

5W-40

max. 8k if driven long distances

max. 5k if driven short distances

If you like fun with your car, earlier your change the oil the longer your engine lasts !!!

Engine suppose to "eat" oil; people just don't understand engine lubrication. Put higher viscosity engine oil.

My Fabia has got 300k km on ODO and I never added extra oil !!!

Edited by sniper29a

5 or 8 k km seems to be a bit too soon. I know people with old cars and they do not change oil so often (usually 15k km, depends on the oil type - syntetic/other). They still got their engines rather fine.

By the way, I asked my friend how often should I change my fuel filter. He said that his father hasn't changed his petrol Mazdas filter for ~250k km and still there aren't any issues related to that... That's petrol, though. As far as I know, diesels need more frequently filter change.

5 or 8 k km seems to be a bit too soon. I know people with old cars and they do not change oil so often (usually 15k km, depends on the oil type - syntetic/other). They still got their engines rather fine.

By the way, I asked my friend how often should I change my fuel filter. He said that his father hasn't changed his petrol Mazdas filter for ~250k km and still there aren't any issues related to that... That's petrol, though. As far as I know, diesels need more frequently filter change.

Check out this post - you'll find a lab report about authorised service in Germany who change oil according manufacturers recommendation. Especially, read their WARNING.

I wouldn't compare old cars with modern over-sensitive cars. My old Skoda 130L did run without oil :-D Run on any fuel you can imagine. Try to do it with your new-age Octavia ;-)

It depends on the fuel and your driving style. I change fuel filter every 30k km, which is one year for me.

If you consider short-term saving with long-term damage...I rather change all filters more frequently. Air filter costs few Euros, fuel filter is slightly more expensive. In my case, it cost nothing compared to long-term damage.

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT MANUFACTURERS DON'T WANT YOUR CAR LAST - THEY NEED TO SELL/MANUFACTURE/MAKE PROFIT.

Skoda Octavia I - 950k km is record

Skoda Octavia II - around 600k km is record as far as I know

Skoda Octavia III - 300k and engine is dead.

WELCOME IN NEW CONSUMER'S AGE.

I agree that the new 30k km "long life" oil change interval seems to be too much...but I still think that 5k -  no need to hurry. I've seen a lab report that oil (OK, not often used for short distance trips) was good after 12 or 15k. Probably it depends on oil, on car, on driving habits etc.

Anyway, I won't change my habits. Here in Latvia we haven't got such annual mileages as in Austria. The engine is not the first part that dies for an old car. Usually the car is rather rusty, there are numerous problems with suspension etc.

By the way, I've heard about mk2 Octavia with 1million+ mileage. It was some kind of courrier or taxi that worked 3 shifts a day. Basically it was moving all the time. I can't say for sure that it's 100% true but I've heard about such case. And there were some pics on Facebook with Skodas (mk2) with high mileages. I remember one with 800k. So, it's possible.

yep, it is all about driving style. I push it hard and my car usually runs at 50+ % loads.

High mileage is possible if you drive long trips.

Oils are questionable. The report I've got from my Octy is German authorised dealer with Shell Helix. But nobody knows how previous owner drove and if oil was even changed.

I always suggest to send few samples of oil and then live with it. Each analysis cost about 50€ and you need about three or so from beginning.

I had an interesting conversation with one guy from lab - he said that most teams use most rubbish oils from shelf and change it after race for example.

Invest into analysis and do the math. You may find out that cheapest oil from Lidl lasts 8k km and it cost less than so called premium oils changed at 12-15k intervals.