Disc corrosion

I have just had my Superb serviced at a Skoda main dealer at 17500 miles. I had an 'advisory' on disc corrosion, and the sums mentioned to replace were eyewatering. I have had a lot of vehicles over the past 30 years and the only one that ever needed new discs was an Alfa GT Junior that was 12 years old at the time.

I mentioned that I couldn't see any visible corrosion on the outside through the holes in the (steel) wheels, to be told " oh, it's on the inner faces". They had not taken the wheels off during the service as the covers still had the zip ties I put on them. now I haven't had the chance to check this yet, but is it common for this problem on Superb's at such a relatively low mileage?

Wasn't for , they do rust up quickly but heavy braking seems to clean the discs ok .

As long as they perform ok I wouldn't worry

My wife's ten plus year old Yaris discs "cokes" up with grunge on the inner and outer faces and I used to get warnings that they will need to be replaced, so now and again and especially before an mot I give the car some hard braking. This clears up all the discs so they look very shiny and no more issues at mot/service time.

As above: get yourself on a nice quiet dual carriageway and do some hard braking. Doesn't need to be an emergency stop.

The MOT inspector is just worried about the amount of braking surface area available, and if you're normally light on your brakes and it has been raining at the time that you present your car for the MOT, then you will inevitably have some surface rust on your discs. This may have disappeared by the time you got your car home, under the course of normal braking.

If you're still concerned about it, then some hard braking from 70 to 50 a couple of times on a quiet dual carriageway plus some late heavy braking coming up to the roundabout should get rid of the surface rust.

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1

Just a dealer trying to drum up more business by putting the frghteners on.

Ignore them.

I did wonder. I must say I was annoyed when I first queried it on the phone when I got home and had a look, they said " we take the wheels off to check during the service" I pointed out that they hadn't done this as the covers stiil had the zip ties, she came back with, "oh sorry, we only take the wheels off for drum brakes". Doesn't inspire confidence. I have also just checked the oil and it is over full- well above the max mark on the dipstick. There are big warnings about not doing this in the handbook.

Disc corrosion happens in two places

On the outer circumference of the vented bit and on the surface after washing the car which is easily removed once you brake,

Sounds like they fancied a nice £700 for 1 hours work plus £100 of parts to me, discs generally only need attention if the the pads have worn a substantial lip or the facings are showing heavy scoring or cracks, cracks can explode the disc so do require replacement as soon as spotted, hth.

Edited by Supurbia

The oldest trick in the book.

They only need one sucker out of every 10 to make the scam worthwhile.

I'd be complaining, there is no excuse for this scaremongering from a main dealer.

They tried it with me on my 2 year old Octavia several years ago. Guess what, it's still on the original discs and pads.

As mentioned above it is good practice to give the brakes a good work out from time to time.

No need for any emergency stops but scrub some speed off as quickly (and as safely) as possible to clear the discs of any surface corrosion.

Oh, and find another dealer. Make sure you tell the current dealer why you'll never be back.

• Like 1

I mentioned that I couldn't see any visible corrosion on the outside through the holes in the (steel) wheels, to be told " oh, it's on the inner faces".

Looks like this?

post-68145-0-18089700-1424547535_thumb.jpg

Edited by safari hunter

The oldest trick in the book.

They only need one sucker out of every 10 to make the scam worthwhile.

I'd be complaining, there is no excuse for this scaremongering from a main dealer.

They tried it with me on my 2 year old Octavia several years ago. Guess what, it's still on the original discs and pads.

As mentioned above it is good practice to give the brakes a good work out from time to time.

No need for any emergency stops but scrub some speed off as quickly (and as safely) as possible to clear the discs of any surface

corrosion.

Oh, and find another dealer. Make sure you tell the current dealer why you'll never be back.

I was told the same as mentioned above some 7 years ago on my wife's Yaris, still on the same discs.

• Like 1

Looks like this?

No, I believe they mean the inner swept surface. As they had not taken the wheels off, they couldn't have seen the hub.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try some braking excercises and check the discs properly when I put the summers back on in a month or so.

• Like 1