Coolant problem

LESCOOPER

Les Cooper - Skoda Fabia 1.4 2002. Coolant warning light flashing 10 seconds after switching on ignition - does not repeat when restarting after warm up. Also happens after plugging in diagnostic tester - this indicates no code errors. Garage has also checked with same results. Problem started prior to replacing coolant expansion tank, temperature sensor and radiator (all by garage). It recently returned after heavy overnight frost. Could faulty thermostat be part of this scenario? One final thought - after run this morning, checked coolant and it appeared dirty. Not done this before, but when checking from cold previously coolant has always been clear.

Les Cooper - Skoda Fabia 1.4 2002. Coolant warning light flashing 10 seconds after switching on ignition - does not repeat when restarting after warm up. Also happens after plugging in diagnostic tester - this indicates no code errors. Garage has also checked with same results. Problem started prior to replacing coolant expansion tank, temperature sensor and radiator (all by garage). It recently returned after heavy overnight frost. Could faulty thermostat be part of this scenario? One final thought - after run this morning, checked coolant and it appeared dirty. Not done this before, but when checking from cold previously coolant has always been clear.

Hi,did you change your expansion tank due to an overheating issue? Do you have any early signs of sludge or milky deposits on the underside of the oil filler cap ?

faradaycage - changed expansion tank because of warning light on dash - it temporarily did the trick. Had temperature sensor changed because garage detected this as fault through diagnostics. Changed rad because it was leaking.

Sathit - first time I have posted - still finding my way. How do I determine a better section - never been part of forum before and at 79 it can be a little confusing.

Sathit - first time I have posted - still finding my way. How do I determine a better section - never been part of forum before and at 79 it can be a little confusing.

the section relivent to your model is the classic fabia section, found by scrolling down the main forum menu.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/26-skoda-fabia-i/

welcome to a senior new member

Edited by mobilone
  • Like 1

What mobilone said, you're more likely to get better responses specific to your car if you post in that section.

Pretty impressed you can even use the internet :P, my parents are 58 and 63, they don't have a clue about typing lol, let alone manage to find their way around google. 

Edited by Sathit

Thanks for responses - to clarify some of points made:

Expansion tank changed because of warning light on dashboard - no overheating. Problem disappeared and only re-emerged recently. Don't know relevance - but it happened after heavy overnight frost.

Obviously with new tank coolant (pink) was changed and since it is only a matter of months since job was done has retained its colour.

Have not checked underside of oil filler cap - will do as next job.

Car is generally running well - still has plenty of power. At the moment this is a niggling problem that I am trying to sort on the basis of prevention better than cure in case there is a greater problem developing. Like me, at 92,000 miles it is feeling the strain and has had a few visits to a & e this year for different faults.

Will look to transfer to another page as suggested by Mobilone.

Thanks for responses - to clarify some of points made:

Expansion tank changed because of warning light on dashboard - no overheating. Problem disappeared and only re-emerged recently. Don't know relevance - but it happened after heavy overnight frost.

Obviously with new tank coolant (pink) was changed and since it is only a matter of months since job was done has retained its colour.

Have not checked underside of oil filler cap - will do as next job.

Car is generally running well - still has plenty of power. At the moment this is a niggling problem that I am trying to sort on the basis of prevention better than cure in case there is a greater problem developing. Like me, at 92,000 miles it is feeling the strain and has had a few visits to a & e this year for different faults.

Will look to transfer to another page as suggested by Mobilone.

When you do check your filler cap, also check your oil level, if it's above what it's meant to be accompanied with having mayo/milky oil on the lid, your most likely looking at a coolant leak into the engine, if that the case it may end up being expensive, could be a leaky head gasket, cyclinder head crack, crack in engine block, but I doubt it'd be the latter.

A moderator has already moved the topic for you :P

Les, it's rare, but a friend of mine had to have the coolant level/temp warning light on their Fabia mapped out to get rid of this spurious warning light indication (This also mapped out the "lights on" buzzer).

If you're sure it's not head gasket failure, check the VCDS forum for someone near you who might be able to do this.