Ride quality on 19" extremes

As title really,

I've ordered a Tsi hatch VRS and the anthracite Gemini's, but the extremes are growing on me.

I have a long term back injury that's not going to get better, and anything to crashy is painful so hence the question about ride quality.

Just picked up our new car today on 19" extremes. We have a 2009 vRS on 17" rims and my first impressions are that the new car on 19" ride better, more compliant than the old car on 17". Only driven it a 100 miles so will see how I get on.

baf4a32782574ba693c13938eb00d9aa_zpsa69d

Edited by Johntyboy
  • Like 4

Surely if you have a long term painful back injury you would want comfort above anything else, so it seems a bit odd to be considering larger alloys, but I guess it depends what you are used to.

Have a read of this http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/334698-opinions-on-the-19-extreme-alloys/

The vRS is a firm ride to start with, even on the standard 18s with 40 profile rubber.

I really like the extremes but the combination of lower back issues and naff Sussex roads mean they will stay on the wish list, not on the car.

• Like 1

I've had back surgery this week and as a result my new vrs is being delivered to me tomorrow rather than me picking it up (not able to drive for a few weeks).

From a back problem point of view its the driving position itself rather than the ride that matters as this is what puts stress on your back. In my case I've opted for the dsg to save my left leg having to make hundreds of gear changes as it was the left side of my disc that ruptured!

Having said that a smooth ride is always welcome! I'll let you know what I think of the 19's in a few weeks.

Edited by Brooksuk

Just picked up our new car today on 19" extremes. We have a 2009 vRS on 17" rims and my first impressions are that the new car on 19" ride better, more compliant than the old car on 17". Only driven it a 100 miles so will see how I get on.

baf4a32782574ba693c13938eb00d9aa_zpsa69d

Johntyboy

That really does look good, and the 19's set it off  :thumbup:

The 19's just seem to fill the arches better than the 18's.

Yes I should consider my comfort, but I want a "sports saloon".

Maybe stick with the 18's, space them out 5-10mm and use an Eibach spring kit.

AAhhhh, what do I do?

• Like 1

3 weeks in and 2700 miles and it is a firm ride as expected but it is more controlled as opposed to uncomfortable.  My Mk 2 when it found a pot hole used to bang and scare the cr4p out of me!  Whilst I've not found any epic holes yet I don't find them as crashy.  On the plus note you'll save your back in the shorter time it takes to clean them as they are far more accessible!

16355516757_b56a949487_b.jpgIMG_0606 by A16NSV, on Flickr