Electric Mirror Switch Replacement Help (NOW FIXED)

I laughed at someone and questioned how they had managed to snap off the little knob for the electric mirrors with their knee months ago................ Then a couple of weeks after I did exactly that, in a hurry boarding the green mk1 Ambient. I superglued it back together and it worked a treat for months and months until I did it again, this time it's not repairable. I have managed to get the knob back on but can only rotate it to turn on heated mirrors, but not move it around at all to adjust mirrors.

My issue is that all the ones I see on ebay are different to mine, they all have the heated mirrors mode in the middle, while mine is at the top. Does anyone know if it would still work? My heated mirrors worked independently to the heated rear screen and worked fantastically, with both mirrors controlled on the middle position and just one on the bottom one (meaning a nice neat central position. If I got one of the ones on ebay I have no idea how it would operate if at all. 

What I have
20150306_222112.jpg

and this is all I can find all over ebay! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/skoda-Octavia-vrs-2003-1-8-T-O-S-DRIVERS-ELECTRIC-MIRROR-SWITCH-1U2867186B/151506913352?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dee3e5384b9394457acafe2dfaee2a4c1%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D251850329798&rt=nc

• Like 1

When mine seized on the fabia I took it apart and found that inside the knob was effectively a plastic tube which contained a spring and a small rod. The small rod was supposed to telescope in and out of the tube but had jammed so the knob wouldn't move up or down but could rotate. With this in mind is it worth having another look at your existing one to see whether you've managed to superglue the bit that's supposed to telescope in and out?

• Like 2

When mine seized on the fabia I took it apart and found that inside the knob was effectively a plastic tube which contained a spring and a small rod. The small rod was supposed to telescope in and out of the tube but had jammed so the knob wouldn't move up or down but could rotate. With this in mind is it worth having another look at your existing one to see whether you've managed to superglue the bit that's supposed to telescope in and out?

The spring bit works fine, it pressed in and came back out freely, it's just some bloody glue has seeped down (tenth of a ml) second time I glued it I had the door in bits sorting out a pin in the multiplug and glued it on it's back sat on table (fatal error). 

The part number all the genius breakers on ebay use, is the one for the trim surrounding the switch, not the switch itself sadly. My switch part number is 1U2959565J and all the others I can only suspect are the pikey version 1U2959565L  :( I fear UK models didn't come with this switch. I found one on google in a poor state second hand on some Russian site. :(

Edited by FUBAR

I'd suggest they will be close enough to be able to swap parts if the k version isn't a direct replacement and to be honest I would don't the wiring loom and connectors were changed just the switch layout

• Like 2

Have ordered one of the 'L' part number ones on Ebay.... some testing to be done I think. Worst comes to it I can always strip both down and take the mechanism I want out of ebay one I suppose :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Job done and all working now. Got one on ebay and stripped both down to get at the clear bit inside that the joystick is held by and took it out swapped over. Nightmare getting the actual switch out of the trim and even worse squeezing it back in as the switches are a good 1.5mm bigger than the cut hole! As a result when putting my spares one back together tidying up I ripped open the palm of my hand blooooooody deep! :( Now licking my wounds and have to scrap taking the bike out today :o 

Ebay one at bottom

20150315_113646.jpg

Ebay one on left (click for big resolution if interested)

20150315_114700.jpg

The 'L' part number one which I got on ebay seems to be the one fitted to most UK Skodas. It's entire pin assembly is thinner, the spring is weaker and it has a plastic tip at end of spring rather than the metal one my old one had. This means that although it's all working correctly now and looks like it did before for me with my old board and facia back in with a new stick, it isn't as solid and smooth a feel as the old one was. Feel a bit cheaper. 

• Like 1

Job done and all working now. Got one on ebay and stripped both down to get at the clear bit inside that the joystick is held by and took it out swapped over. Nightmare getting the actual switch out of the trim and even worse squeezing it back in as the switches are a good 1.5mm bigger than the cut hole! As a result when putting my spares one back together tidying up I ripped open the palm of my hand blooooooody deep! :( Now licking my wounds and have to scrap taking the bike out today :o 

Ebay one at bottom

20150315_113646.jpg

Ebay one on left (click for big resolution if interested)

20150315_114700.jpg

The 'L' part number one which I got on ebay seems to be the one fitted to most UK Skodas. It's entire pin assembly is thinner, the spring is weaker and it has a plastic tip at end of spring rather than the metal one my old one had. This means that although it's all working correctly now and looks like it did before for me with my old board and facia back in with a new stick, it isn't as solid and smooth a feel as the old one was. Feel a bit cheaper.

I hear you about unclipping the switch from its surround it is a serious pita. I did it trying to get a wrap round it, waste of time and effort frankly, at least I learned how to put it together after it all fell apart in my hand.

Now watch where you're sticking those knees!

• Like 1

I removed a door panel off a Roomster and the mirror switch exploded all over the workshop floor, the springs behind the contacts - never to be seen again.  I found some similar and got it working.

Yea had one or two spring escapes, but easily found with my hawk like senses lol. 

I hear you about unclipping the switch from its surround it is a serious pita. I did it trying to get a wrap round it, waste of time and effort frankly, at least I learned how to put it together after it all fell apart in my hand.

Now watch where you're sticking those knees!

I will :D New alloys 'should' arrive today.......... But I keep looking for wind deflectors and am having no luck at all :( Delivery being the issue ffs! 

Mirror control looks like the bottom one in my car 2004 TDi ambient

Yea, it's an oddity. UK spec cars have that one, but my car was originally ordered new from the Republic of Ireland for immediate personal export to the UK (a substantial tax saving to buy it tax free then pay tax when registering in UK at the time). As such the Irish spec car has this other switch (which I prefer it's operation of tbh). But the issue is that while this layout is common in many other countries on them, not in RHD cars, so the switches are all made the other way round for other door :( . That is why I ended up taking the bits I needed from the replacement. Luckily mine was cosmetically in better condition anyway :D 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I am having the exact same issue as the OP FUBAR. My unit is heat at 1 o'clock, L+R at 3 o'clock and L at 5 o'clock. All I need is the joystick assembly. Guessing from the thread that buying any old unit and ripping the guts out to repair my unit is the most sensible way to go about the repair. Very useful thread and proves that a bit of clever thinking can overcome annoying situations.

• Like 1

i am going to try fit the alloy look switch knob off the lhd mk2 to my rhd mk1 next week when it arrive  :peek:  fingers crossed it goes smoothly as like the alloy look finish 

• Like 1

I am having the exact same issue as the OP FUBAR. My unit is heat at 1 o'clock, L+R at 3 o'clock and L at 5 o'clock. All I need is the joystick assembly. Guessing from the thread that buying any old unit and ripping the guts out to repair my unit is the most sensible way to go about the repair. Very useful thread and proves that a bit of clever thinking can overcome annoying situations.

Yea essentially that was just it, get cheapest one you can find on ebay and cannibalise it. Just watch for the springs popping out when you take it apart and going AWOL! 

i am going to try fit the alloy look switch knob off the lhd mk2 to my rhd mk1 next week when it arrive  :peek:  fingers crossed it goes smoothly as like the alloy look finish 

Sounds good, any pics of the one you mean? 

• Like 2

For-font-b-SKODA-b-font-Octavia-MK2-II-1

OH that is nice, not sure how it will go with the whole LHD-RHD thing though, wouldn't that mean it would be upside down if it fitted? 

• Like 1

FUBAR I have already removed and disassembled my broken unit and didn't lose any bits. Being an engineer helps some times lol.

I will have to take your word for it :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...