Saw it today in Geneva

Kingsley, did you take pics of SIII btw? I mean...any interesting pics? So, would you say cabin material quality is definitely better than SII?

My phone pics are useless. The stand was crawling, but I would say yes to your question. The interior quality seemed to me at least as good as the Passat. Very convincing, very neat, businesslike and pleasingly 'technical' , which I believe is part of the thrust of the car. I can see why Mr Vahland wants us all to think that it is not 'aimed' at be Passat, because he could be in big trouble with parent VW if we really compare it to the boring Passat. Oh dear, the Superb is a much nicer car...

• Like 2

Thank you Kingsly for the detailed update.

I cannot wait for this car to appear in the German showrooms. I will be visiting for a proper nosey around and will if I have time compare it to the new Passat. I have sat in that and was mildly disappointed with its safe comfortable style. Bland perhaps.

I will see if the much better looking Superb is worth the Passat money that Skoda are asking. I for one hope it is and that the estate looks just as good. 2.0ltr TDI 150bhp SE L combi would have my deposit already if it were out. Pity they want £2200 extra for the 190bhp TDI, that is my only sore point with the press release (unless it has a flux Capacitor under the bonnet) so shouldn't moan too much!

I have an initial impression that the Superb is in fact priced below the Passat. Interestingly the Superb can be had with a 280 horsepower engine but the maximum power offered in the Passat is 220 hp petrol or 240 diesel! Just had a young friend here looking at 2013 Passats with top specs and the 3.6litre engine and 4x4 as offered in the current Superb, having done about 5000 miles, at half new price! Crazy, partially because of the hike in the Swiss Franc exchange against the Euro, and partially because of the new model (which I don't like as much). There are outrageous bargains to be had online right now.

• Like 1

There are bargains out there which is why I purchased mine a short while ago (3.6).

It helped that it was at a BMW dealer (part exchange) and the guy said that it was attracting more attention than the 5 series estates due to the levels of standard kit so wanted to shift it on quickly  :D

I do like the look of the new Superb though....will pop to the Geneva show again tomorrow to have a last good look (and maybe try bag a couple of Skoda items as they break down the show  :notme:  )

Pick up the wife's new Superb on the 1st April fully loaded nearly every extra possible Combi with the 170 hp engine for the princely sum of £19k(tax free). Brilliant price as it should of cost over 36k tax paid. Unfortunately won't be around to take advantage of a tax free mk3 Superb my timing as ever is rubbish. This will be a popular car in British Forces Germany as the Skoda brand as a whole already is, us squaddies love the space, pace and value for money(still) that Skoda give you.

I am on the look out for a used 3.6 combi as Wile7 knows just not that many around YET.

• Like 1