Powder coating or respray wheels

Chriswright03

Having just bought a fantastic set of wheels from RichC of this Parish I am just pricing up a respray in gloss black.  Easier said than done really.  Local place obviously isn't really interested as they told me to go and have them powder coated.  They will repaint them but at £360 plus! 

So which is better to powder coat or respray?  I realise that this has been discussed before and a search has pulled up some threads but I cannot find out which is the better in respect of kerbing or damage.  I am assuming powder coating will sustain more damage but I would also think that either once damaged would require a full refurb.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Regards Chris

I take it that is the ones in Garforth Chris?  Might have to book in with you for a bit of a do and then combine it all with a visit to my lad in Bingley.

Regards Chris

Having just bought a fantastic set of wheels from RichC of this Parish I am just pricing up a respray in gloss black.  Easier said than done really.  Local place obviously isn't really interested as they told me to go and have them powder coated.  They will repaint them but at £360 plus! 

So which is better to powder coat or respray?  I realise that this has been discussed before and a search has pulled up some threads but I cannot find out which is the better in respect of kerbing or damage.  I am assuming powder coating will sustain more damage but I would also think that either once damaged would require a full refurb.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Regards Chris

Once done, if you still have concernes about damaging them, you might want to consider a set of these.................

http://www.alloygator.co.uk/

• Like 1

My local outfit in Exeter does £50 + VAT per wheel for my usual size (17"), but it is basically a factory not just someone with a spray gun.  There's a booth for all stages of the process, inc wheel straightening, and tyre removal and refitting.  They also have facility to leave cars on axle stands so can be a "drive in, drive out" if you have a spare car to use for a few days. :)

OK just been in touch with the company who do the powder coating and they want £170 for bare wheels or an extra £30 to take tyres off and refit.  So that is a bit more like it. :thumbup:

Regards Chris

PS Spell checked to save Devon a bit of time. :giggle:

• Like 1

They are similar in as much as they are trying to do the same job.

`Alloygators` are a little better quality than `Rimblades` but are more tricky to install.

Well I have put my name in the thread for some so when the wheels are done they can be protected.  My good lady has form for clouting kerbs!  Not to say that I will never do it but if I am pulling up at a kerb I think about where I am rather than use braille to park.

Regards Chris

Maybe I've never used the right people but I've always had a better finish from painted wheels than powder coated ones. Our local place charges around £75 a wheel all in for tyres off, strip the finish, paint, clear, tyre fitting and balancing.

Some places are cheap but only paint the front of the wheel.

The Monte Carlo wheels that were on my Passat had a finish like glass. I've had lots of stuff coated over the years like wishbone parts and components for hotrods and kitcars but I've never seen anything look as good. Paint is also easier to spot repair or touch up

Also there are several wheel manufacturers that state not to powder coat wheels as it can weaken them due to the oven temperatures affecting the heat treatment?