Here we go again

So, 6 months old and just turned 10k miles, my car has broken down. Again.

Similar symptoms - flashing glow plug light and engine light on all the time, and the car in limp mode. Last time it was an air flow sensor or something, this time breakdown guy reckoned it was a turbo sensor fault. 

Not amused.

Car is being recovered back to the dealers in the morning and a replacement car delivered in its place.

I do a fair mileage with work, and over the years covered tens of thousands of faultless miles in diesel Subarus, BMWs, a VW and a Mazda. The is my first Skoda, and its the only car to break down, and its done it twice - at 2 months and at 6 months old. 

So it'll be my first and last Skoda. As soon as its back (maybe with a bit of luck the dealer will loose it or something), I'll change it. 

I actually quite like the car. I'm not sure theres much else on the market with similar space and pace. My car has plenty of spec so is a nice place to be. But reliability is everything to me. Unfortunately the car is anything but reliable.

I can't help but think Skoda have deliberately made the car poorer than they could have to distance it from VW / Audi. It seems thats been to the detriment of quality and reliability.

There's nothing Skoda in the engine and running gear. That's all VW.

The only thing Skoda is the design and styling and the badge.

You've obviously just been unlucky with your car. All cars have issues, nothing to do with Skoda making the car a bit carp compared to its VW brothers.

• Like 1

These sensors aren't manufactured by Skoda. Probably find the same ones in many other marques. My mk ll had similar faults. It's a pain I know. But they were replaced under warranty.

I'm sure you are right. There seems to have been a large number of failures though going by other threads on here.

There's nothing Skoda in the engine and running gear. That's all VW.

The only thing Skoda is the design and styling and the badge.

You've obviously just been unlucky with your car. All cars have issues, nothing to do with Skoda making the car a bit carp compared to its VW brothers.

I'm aware the engine and running gear is VW. My previous car, a Mk7 Golf developed clonking suspension at 2k miles. Googling Mk7 golf suspension problems throws up reams of owners reporting the same problem. Many that VW couldn't or wouldn't fix. So I'm not sure that the VW brand is as high quality as they'd like you to believe. I think they mastered the art of perceived quality though. 

This Mk III forum has become a right old ' Moanfest'. Mine has been fine. Sounds like I'm in the minority.

I'm glad you've not had any issues. And its not moaning, simply fact. Any new car breaking down twice in its first 6 months would be poor. Especially one from VAG

• Like 1

Buying any car is like the lottery. You either win and have no issues or lose and have issues.

Hopefully Skoda will sort your problem out quickly and get you back on the road!

But two minor issues in 10k isn't too bad. It's not something you expect with a brand new car but sometimes that's how it goes.

Agree with others, sounds like you have been unlucky. I've been moaning about my suspension and had a few niggly build quality issues but got to say mechanical reliability has been faultless, covered almost 44k miles so far and not missed a beat. My previous Superb had a couple of issues similar to yours, 1st time was the sensor, 2nd was the turbo intake manifold, but that was at about 70k. Prior to the S2, I had a 2006 Passat and it was a lemon, had it for 3 yrs, 63k and it had new fuel pump, new clutch, new turbo, and the rear body stiffener under the parcel shelf was not welded correctly in the factory, so had to be completely stripped and re-welded at 1 month old to cure severe creaking!

Despite your issues, I certainly couldn't justify chopping in a 6 month old car just because it had been in for a couple of warranty fixes.

Count yourself lucky, I'm on a 3rd engine in my 2012 Ford Focus ..... two catastrophic engine failures as a result of incompetent Ford mechanics.

Personally I can't wait to get back into a Skoda again!

• Like 1

This Mk III forum has become a right old ' Moanfest'. Mine has been fine. Sounds like I'm in the minority.

Internet forums always distort the situation. The people who have trouble are always more likely to write a post than those who's cars are functioning as expected.

• Like 1

Internet forums always distort the situation. The people who have trouble are always more likely to write a post than those who's cars are functioning as expected.

Indeed, but there seems to be more complaints on here about the MK III than there ever were on the MK II forum. If I came on here looking to buy a MK III I just would not buy one. Too many bad marks. I think a lot of people here are first time Skoda buyers and seem to be bitterly disappointed with their cars. We are getting comparisons to Jags, BMW's etc I'm sorry but Skodas are still cheaper than these executive marques. This WILL be reflected in build quality etc. I know they are getting expensive, but spec a Beemer up to the same levels and you will soon see your bank account nosedive.

I owned my last VRS for 11 years, I wouldn't say it was totally fault free but never actually let me down, hence I'm buying another.

I think someone else started a thread that mentions the TDI's seem to be failing a lot more than the TSI's, I know there's something like a 70/30 split, but still, the majority of break downs seem to be sensor faults on the TDI's.

I wonder how many Octavia 3s are out there... For a couple of failures on the forum there are probably thousands with no issues. Often forums make things look bad.

All manufacturers have some issues and some cars are just problem cars. The more complex cars get the more likely something is to go wrong but if its fixed promptly under warranty they are doing their best surely?

Indeed, bar a dodgy boot bulb and the occasional laboured starting (been looked at twice but no obvious faults or error codes...and its never not started) mine has been peerless over 20k miles/13 months.

Mines no more rattly than my Mk6 Golf was at the same age...it doesnt feel quite as robust as that car or my previous Mk2 but then much of that is bound to be down to it being a good 140kgs lighter.

In fact its that good I am rather taking it for granted that its never in the garage for anything other than routine maintenance....cant argue at that.

You can just be unlucky with cars and its usually in the first number of months if its going to exhibit any issues thats when it will do it.

I think the OP's reaction to a 2nd failed Boost sensor (whilst I understand their annoyance and inconvenience) is perhaps a little strong to consider getting rid of the car.....also will do their nuts in depreciation but their car their choice I guess.

Indeed, bar a dodgy boot bulb and the occasional laboured starting (been looked at twice but no obvious faults or error codes...and its never not started) mine has been peerless over 20k miles/13 months.

Mines no more rattly than my Mk6 Golf was at the same age...it doesnt feel quite as robust as that car or my previous Mk2 but then much of that is bound to be down to it being a good 140kgs lighter.

In fact its that good I am rather taking it for granted that its never in the garage for anything other than routine maintenance....cant argue at that.

You can just be unlucky with cars and its usually in the first number of months if its going to exhibit any issues thats when it will do it.

I think the OP's reaction to a 2nd failed Boost sensor (whilst I understand their annoyance and inconvenience) is perhaps a little strong to consider getting rid of the car.....also will do their nuts in depreciation but their car their choice I guess.

I'm glad your car has been good. You say that its never been in the garage for anything other than routine maintenance but has has looked at twice for laboured starting. Hopefully its not the start of a sensor fault you have.

As for my reaction, I do a high business mileage. I work for myself and rely on the car. I have to travel to some remote places, so, after 2 breakdowns in 4 or 5 months (the car is 6mths old but lasted a month or so from new to 1st breakdown), every time I get in the car I'm going to wonder if it'll get me where I need to go. Also consider that over the years I reckon I've covered around 200k miles in company and privately owned Subarus, and not had to fix as much as a light bulb. Faultless ownership experience. So to go from that to 2 breakdowns in the first 6mths is a shock.

I like the thing, but can't live with my fingers crossed. One breakdown, fair enough, bad luck, law of averages, whatever. But 2, no. The forced regenerations, with the mileage I do doesn't seem right either, so have been wondering if that was the beginning of another issue.

Haven't heard from the dealer yet. Skoda assist given my a 2.0tdi Elegance as a replacement.

Active regen is not a fault. I also cover over 500 miles per week and it still regens once or twice each week. Don't forget that in top gear at 70mph on a run, the revs are well below 2000rpm, so I think the car is designed to regen as a precaution.

So, 6 months old and just turned 10k miles, my car has broken down. Again....

I can't help but think Skoda have deliberately made the car poorer than they could have to distance it from VW / Audi. It seems thats been to the detriment of quality and reliability.

Some very valid points, also considering that if it's doing high mileage, that a diesel is meant to be best. Also fully understand your irritation with the breakdowns and lack of confidence it causes. However I don't imagine that Skoda would deliberately source inferior components or manufacture a car poorly to simply enhance other Audi/VW products. I wonder if this issue has struck cars with similar engines /components in the VAG group.

Active regen is not a fault. I also cover over 500 miles per week and it still regens once or twice each week. Don't forget that in top gear at 70mph on a run, the revs are well below 2000rpm, so I think the car is designed to regen as a precaution.

I didn't notice the regens in the first few months of ownership, just the last couple of months or so. My mileage is mostly on fast A roads, and the car is driven frequently as a vRS should be so I'm not sure why its doing it now.

Some very valid points, also considering that if it's doing high mileage, that a diesel is meant to be best. Also fully understand your irritation with the breakdowns and lack of confidence it causes. However I don't imagine that Skoda would deliberately source inferior components or manufacture a car poorly to simply enhance other Audi/VW products. I wonder if this issue has struck cars with similar engines /components in the VAG group.

I don't think they'd manufacture the car to a low standard, rather the components and fit and finish are where the savings are (and the distance kept from VW / Audi). The door cards are a case in point - £27k car with plastic door cards?. So perhaps the QC isn't as good either, or similar but lower spec comports used. Its not just my car thats had these sensor issues either so perhaps the quality isn't quite as it should be.

My guess is that Skoda have had an accountant look at the failure rate and calculated the repairs will cost £x. A recall would cost £y, so as long as x is less than y, no recall.

• Like 1

New water pump on mine after 12 months and now a water leak which has led to a nightmare 7 weeks without the car and still counting. I tend to agree that most new cars are fine, haven't had any major faults with my last 4 or 5 new cars, but there's always the odd lemon out there irrespective of manufacturer. The issue with mine is in effect minor but the resolution is taking an eternity which sadly does put you off a brand. 

Indeed, but there seems to be more complaints on here about the MK III than there ever were on the MK II forum. If I came on here looking to buy a MK III I just would not buy one. Too many bad marks. I think a lot of people here are first time Skoda buyers and seem to be bitterly disappointed with their cars. We are getting comparisons to Jags, BMW's etc I'm sorry but Skodas are still cheaper than these executive marques. This WILL be reflected in build quality etc. I know they are getting expensive, but spec a Beemer up to the same levels and you will soon see your bank account nosedive.

It indeed may be a different type of purchaser with different expectations. It may also be greater use of online media and awareness of briskoda than when the O2 was launched. It may also be that there have been relatively more O3 sales in the first year, 18 months of launch then there were the O2.

I view forums like these in the same way as I view tripadvisor - if I took every tripadvisor review at face value, I'd never go anywhere. Some pople like to moan. Some people need taking with a dose of salt. Some people just have more exacting standards than others.

When one considers all the possibiities, it's not as straightforward as it might initially seem.

• Like 1

I can understand how the OP must be frustrated by his experience so far, although only sensor faults, they have both disabled his vehicle which then impact on his business.

I'm not sure that the O3 is any worse than other cars out there though (for unreliability try a Vauxhall), and it may be that the OP is just unlucky with his car. My mk2 Blackline was a pup, being off the road for over 12 weeks in two years (final straw was two replacement drive trains which still did not fix a transmission judder). A friend has an identical car which has been a paragon of reliability. So far my O3 has been great - just hope I'm not tempting fate.

Also, for what it's worth, a forum does attract a lot of posts from users seeking advice with faults etc, a lot of users with faultless cars just don't bother posting on them.

After my car was taken away on a breakdown truck yesterday morning, I'd heard nothing since. So I phone Skoda assist to see what had happened to my car. Initially they told me it was at some other dealer other than the one I bought it from (and who fixed it last time), and that I'd asked it to go there. I replied that I told the breakdown driver where to take the car, and that both myself and the breakdown company had practiced this 5 months ago, so if it turned up at the wrong dealer its not because I'd asked it to go there. I only called as after the first breakdown the dealer phoned me as soon as it arrived to tell me they had received my car and that they'd keep me informed as to how the repair was going. This time for some reason, no phone call, hence me calling Skoda assist back. After being on hold for 5 minutes she came back on and said my car was indeed at the correct dealer.  :dull:  :swear:

Once put through to the dealership, they told me that after speaking with Skoda the car was having its turbo sensor wiring replaced. Can't say that fills me with any confidence, nor does the fact that he said some cars have had their sensors unnecessarily replaced. That implies then that after replacing the sensor the last time it broke down, that hadn't actually rectified the issue. Replacing wiring sounds like its come from the "what can we try now?" school of thought. As I say, it doesn't fill me with any confidence. 

I'm glad your car has been good. You say that its never been in the garage for anything other than routine maintenance but has has looked at twice for laboured starting. Hopefully its not the start of a sensor fault you have.

As for my reaction, I do a high business mileage. I work for myself and rely on the car. I have to travel to some remote places, so, after 2 breakdowns in 4 or 5 months (the car is 6mths old but lasted a month or so from new to 1st breakdown), every time I get in the car I'm going to wonder if it'll get me where I need to go. Also consider that over the years I reckon I've covered around 200k miles in company and privately owned Subarus, and not had to fix as much as a light bulb. Faultless ownership experience. So to go from that to 2 breakdowns in the first 6mths is a shock.

I like the thing, but can't live with my fingers crossed. One breakdown, fair enough, bad luck, law of averages, whatever. But 2, no. The forced regenerations, with the mileage I do doesn't seem right either, so have been wondering if that was the beginning of another issue.

Haven't heard from the dealer yet. Skoda assist given my a 2.0tdi Elegance as a replacement.

Sure I think if my car had lots of build quality issues and was going wrong every five mins Id be pretty miffed off with it.

Im not in any way suggesting that the car breaking down on you twice in six months is in anyway OK but to consider getting shot of it just because it has by bad luck experienced the same issue twice in my book is a bit unnecessary...particularly given you seem to have no other complaints of the car.

I'm just thinking what a packet of money you'd stand to lose by trading it now...if you dont mind and can stand to lose thousands of pounds fair shout to you, its your perogative but Id personally have to be really desperate (and the car to have severe lemon status) to consider doing the same.

My laboured starting issue.....ive not taken it into the garage at any point specifically for that to be investigated...rather I do quite a few miles so my car has been serviced twice in just over a year so have mentioned it. Its been into two dealers for the servicing so I asked the 2nd dealer to check it out too and unsurprisingly no fault found.

It doesnt bother me and wont do until such time the thing refuses to start at all which I thinks quite unlikely. Im at that point where I feel I am probably trying to find a problem that simply isnt there so Im just going to forget about it.

Dealer called today. After replacing some wiring, they decided it wasn't a wiring fault after all and another sensor needs replaced. He won't know until tomorrow when the sensor will be sent from Skoda. :(