Gearbox problems...opintions please.

J3NK0

So my gearbox has been making a bit a of a noise for a while.  Slightly in 1st and 2nd, mainly in 3rd.  Sort of grinding, but not constant, more sort of fluttery and quite faint.

Car is a Mk1 Fabia VRS with 120,000 miles on the clock.  New Clutch and flywheel around 95K.

In the last week it's got considerably worse.  end of last week I started getting a whine in 1st and 2nd.   Now that has extended to pretty much all gears to some extent, plus some extra noises in 5th.

Now, I didn't post something up about the original noises a while ago, but can't seem to find the thread.

My options.... I've found a box on ebay for £250 from West Midlands Salvage in B'ham.  only 54K Miles on it.  28 day warranty.  Probably going to cost me £250 ish to get the box fitted.

Or

I take it to Gloucester Road Gearboxes in Bristol.  Who have been recommended to me by a few people (any other opinions?).  Pricing there is £1025+VAT for a box rebuild PLUS 200+VAT to refit the box.

They will take the box out, diagnose the problem and see if there is option for repair.

What are peoples thoughts on going for a 2nd hand box?  Am I going to just have to bite the bullet and pay the £1500 quid for the rebuild?

Guy in the office recently paid £450 inc VAT for a recon'd box for his Passat.

Useless to you saying where from as it was oop north* but I can't believe the south premium is nearly 200%.

* unless you think its worth the trip and a night in a travel lodge to save 800ish quid. The guys who supplied the gearbox come recommended from some on the CCUK. PM me for details.