Superb rear seat arrangement

As numskull says, there are two metal U-shaped wire tangs (part of the seat) that engage into two recessed, plastic receivers on the front edge of the seat base.

To release, just pull up sharply at the front of the seat base at about the mid-point of the left hand and right hand seat (2 clips to undo in total). There will be a noise as the catches releases suddenly.

Once they are up and loose, the seat base needs pushing backwards (compressing the seat foam a bit), then upwards, then forwards to disengage the rear edge of the seat: it's part of the wire seat frame that just fits over a pair of rear pointing metal tangs.

The seat base is very light, but If you removed this very often then I wonder if the (hidden) front female clips would end up wearing out eventually.

When refitting it is easy for the front clips to misalign (and then bend?), so make sure they are just gently sat into the females, then press down the front edge of the seat sharply with your hand. Job done.

I think this is all in the manual btw.

Edited by CombatWombat

yep as said , just be careful of the wires if you have heated seats

I popped mine up occasionally perhaps twice a year or so

I think this is all in the manual btw.

Thanks for the advice :-) 

I did have a look in the manual and it only seems to reference seats in the combi.  Or do those apply to the hatch as well?

Thanks for the advice :-) 

I did have a look in the manual and it only seems to reference seats in the combi.  Or do those apply to the hatch as well?

I just tried removing mine and the instructions given by CombatWombat are perfect - out they came and went back, no problem. 

I just tried removing mine and the instructions given by CombatWombat are perfect - out they came and went back, no problem. 

Yeah I had to put a load of cardboard in the car last night to take to the tip and was able to remove the seat base.

It seems like a cheap option to do this rather than have it hinged like other cars do.