Paiting brake calipers

As per the title I find that standard ones look a bit unsightly as they have a small amount of surface rust on.

I am not sure what colour I am going to go but I am going to paint them with a brush whilst still on the car.

I have not done it before but was just wanting to see if others had done it and if there were any tips..e.g don't paint over certain bits on the calliper.

Thanks,

• Like 1

It would be a total bodge to paint them on the car, and would quickly suffer given the conditions that calipers are under. This is because you would not be able to clean them properly; preparation is everything in any form of painting. If your car was 6 plus years old, I would say go for it, as above, but it sounds tidy. Refurbed calipers are fully stripped, shot blasted, and chemically cleaned, before powder coating. I think folks who notice would be coming over to have a look, and thinking "kin ell, what`s he done there ?"  Rub the rust off and treat it.

It would be a total bodge to paint them on the car, and would quickly suffer given the conditions that calipers are under. This is because you would not be able to clean them properly; preparation is everything in any form of painting. If your car was 6 plus years old, I would say go for it, as above, but it sounds tidy. Refurbed calipers are fully stripped, shot blasted, and chemically cleaned, before powder coating. I think folks who notice would be coming over to have a look, and thinking "kin ell, what`s he done there ?"  Rub the rust off and treat it.

Disagree with you on this fella

I did mine whilst still on the car, and they look fantastic still

I took a full day to do two coats on each caliper, using an artist's paintbrush and masking tape where necessary.

Every visible bit was painted

I used evaporating brake cleaner and then 2 coats of halfords brake caliper paint.

Finished them off with Skoda decals

If you take your time, you don't need to remove them 

• Like 1

Cheers for that damo I was thinking that £10 sounds better than £200. I have got wire brushes and other bits ans pieces to get the surface rust off. Do you have any pictures of yours damo?

During

20140712_144246_zpsc947c7cc.jpg

The blue gets darker when dried!

Front (ignore the wonky decal, I replaced it lol)

20140718_184939_zps99b7ed5a.jpg

Rear

20140718_185053_zpsdbe6b7af.jpg

finished with original alloys

20140718_185137_zps533b3ddb.jpg

Close up with new alloys with new alloys

IMG_20140803_102026_zpsa06e1b63.jpg

I think they look great anyway, and different from the usual red callipers.

Really rate the halfords caliliper paint, and it comes in red, blue, yellow, black and silver

Good luck, and go for it :)

Cheers

Damo

• Like 1

Fair play, if you have attention to detail. How long have the decals been on so far ? I just had visions of red ones, which to my mind don`t really go on non sports car. The blue looks good.

Decals have been on since last August

Just be careful with pressure washer on them, but that's all.

I do like the blue, and your right attention to detail is vital. Take your time and mask off, so no unsightly over paint. Everyone who has seen them say how good they look in the flesh anyway.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics damo they do look good! I am thinking I will wait for the weather to get a bit warmer before setting myself up for a full day outside.

Just pop down to Halfords today to get the bits with my £10 xmas voucher...

• Like 1

Damo,

I think your choice of colour is spot on both with the blue and decal choice as well, really suits the cars colour,

Me,

For,

Silver = Black calipers

Blue  = Silver or blue

Red = Black,Gold or Silver

White = Any colour, black would be my choice

Green = Gold,Silver or Black

Brown = Gold,Silver or Black

Red   = Gold,Silver or Black

Maroon = Gold,Silver or Black

Black = Gold,Silver,Blue,White or Black

Not keen on yellow,green or orange for caliper colours tbh but they'd go on White,Black,Blue cars ok

Edited by Supurbia

I have been thinking red as the callipers and brakes fill the 18" wheels quite well.

I have a grey car with black tinted rear windows so I am not sure whether it will look a bit OTT or if it will give it a more sporty look?

Might post a side on pic of my car in the photo section and see if somebody can photoshop me some red/other colour callipers.

I am not very good at imagining the different colours against the colour of my car to decide what's best.

I have been thinking red as the callipers and brakes fill the 18" wheels quite well.

I have a grey car with black tinted rear windows so I am not sure whether it will look a bit OTT or if it will give it a more sporty look?

Might post a side on pic of my car in the photo section and see if somebody can photoshop me some red/other colour callipers.

I am not very good at imagining the different colours against the colour of my car to decide what's best.

I'd go black or Skoda Green myself with gery.

• Like 1

I think red is trying too hard, and as Surburbia says, I would go with something more subtle. I guess that was why I had initial reservations, and visions of red, splattered brush strokes. Red does go with grey well, but at the end of the day, a V6 Superb is not a sports car. I have personal experience, as my stage 2 Impreza wagon has red calipers, and I am not keen on them. It`s very subjective, and depends which way you want to go; stealthy or up front ! I would never have considered the blue ones above, but they look excellent, so go with your heart.

• 2 months later...

Hello guys i just bought new set of rims for my superb and i'm looking forward to paint calipers as there is little bit of rust on them. Is there any guide around how to easily remove calipers or should i paint those still mounted on car. And suggestions for color are welcome car is white and rims are black/gun metal.

Edited by keijox

I think its better to remove them..then yoy can manage to clean and paint more easily...I did it in my BMW vouple of years ago...easy job. And belive me or not I painted with red hammerite and it lasted years:)

I plan on doing mine when it warms up a little.... I'm going to brush paint all four on the car which is how i've done it previously on other cars.

Just got to finalise the colour now..... Probably black for this car i think.

Hmmm. I hate you lot. More time and expenditure :D

I quite like the Gold but also the green (black decals) or blue (white decals)....

Decisions, decisions.....

I always liked silver as a nice understated but clean look... Removed my calipers from my Cali turbo a year or two ago and did them with silver hammerite

8a857aa4.jpg

c956b334.jpg

c859883d.jpg

Then on vxr8 the calipers were a bit faded so just really stuck into the cleaning and used machine polisher to get back the gloss and added some HSV decals made up by local company for about £2 each

Ignore the tatty brake disks they were replaced lol

4F32E7CA-01BC-4A67-966A-EE61C270EE3B_zps

0B557ABF-16E0-4859-99C4-ED72D9100675_zps

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bearing in mind it's a cappuccino car I've narrowed it down to either black or gold for the callipers when I do them..... Let the umming and ahhing commence. :D

I'm going to go for Gold. Decision made :)

Now I just need to find a place where I can do the work (rule no.whatever in 'Canton de Vaud' regs - no fixing or maintaining of cars allowed in garage or parking space) I kid you not....no oil changing or just fiddling....

....Can't cut your grass (if you have any) or do any DIY on Sundays....can't wash your car (ever - you have to go to one of the millions of jet wash places) . Barmy place in many ways, great in others. I'm learning.

• Like 1