DSG 6 Speed vs DSG 7 Speed

The DQ 200 7 speed dry clutch has a 250nm/184lb/ft torque rating hence why it is generally seen only on lower torque petrol and 1.6 TDI engines.

Its a good box, less slip than the DQ250 wet 6 speed box with more positive shifts but as a catch-22 as it cant work in more automated clutch slip due to the dry clutch arrangement I found they arent as smooth at low speeds and feel very on-off. Pull away from a standstill is better though. I think there might be a slightly newer DQ280 box that is fitted to the 184 TDI models as its 280lb/ft torque exceeds the DQ250's rating (which is 350nm or 258 lb/ft).

There is a DQ500 7 speed wet box that is fitted to higher output VAG cars (examples the Tiguan diesels and also cars like the Audi RS5) which I think has a rating of around 500nm or 368 lb/ft torque. I think the Golf R, Leon Cupra and S3 all get the DQ280 as they meet the boxes 280lb/ft rating in OEM form.

I like DSG, have had a couple but the better auto boxes are now surpassing them in terms of capabilitt and smoothness....I also dont much like the fact that most of the wet boxes serve to worsen economy and emissions rather than improve it. I also find a decent manual box alot more interactive and in a car with high torque output its not like you end up changing gear all the while anyway.

Lots of info about DSG on Wikipedia.

Edited by pipsyp

I just like DSG, its smooth, quick and so much better than a TQ box that I've experienced on a couple of vehicles. I can't go to manual boxed cars now, too much leg trouble, so it has to be auto or semi-auto.

I'd like a DSG7 box in the next car & whether it's another vRS I don't know yet. I suspect that the guys over at Garland will be contacting me towards the end of the year or early next to change this one. But as long as it's DSG or dual clutch I'll be happy.

Agree with above ref leg trouble and an auto box.... i don't have any leg trouble but i just don't want to arrive home after hours of rush hour traffice with an aching knee and calf, so that why i want an auto next, they simply suit the majority of the driving we all do and the unfortunate road situation we all live with day to day.

• Like 1

May look at the Mk2 VRS with the DSG in Hatch form..... i do quite like the look of the Mk2 and i understand from a few reviews that the newer Mk3 is bigger.

I cannot tell you how much I miss my facelift mk2 Skoda Octavia vrs tsi dsg. I replaced it last year with a facelift Skoda Octavia vrs tsi manual and miss the dsg every day!

Its a good box, less slip than the DQ250 wet 6 speed box with more positive shifts but as a catch-22 as it cant work in more automated clutch slip due to the dry clutch arrangement I found they arent as smooth at low speeds and feel very on-off. Pull away from a standstill is better though. I think there might be a slightly newer DQ280 box that is fitted to the 184 TDI models as its 280lb/ft torque exceeds the DQ250's rating (which is 350nm or 258 lb/ft).

Isn't it the DQ380 and not DQ280? I believe they use the Nm torque figures for numbering and not lbf.