Which make of air filter

Looking for advice, just had my octavia Vrs tdi serviced but air filter was not included so going to change that myself. I have seen a Bosch, Mann and Crossland filter on eurocarparts site and was going to go for the Bosch one, would this be the best one to go for?

Also wondering if there's any guides for changing it, it's a 2006 pd engine

Avoid the Crossland one.

ECP bought the rights to the Crossland brand.

It's just Chinese rubbish.

I like Mann as they're OE in a lot of applications.

Are you sure they are Chinese?

An old girlfriend of mine used to work at Crossland Filters and they were based (at that time at least) in Bilborough in Nottingham.

Edited by Tilt

ON ECP, I've chosen the 'premium quality' option for the last 3 times I've serviced mine (I do it yearly) and each time a Bosch item has turned up. Doing that saves me 2 or 3 quid each time than if I'd actually chosen the Bosch. God knows why they do it,they are doing themselves out of extra profit but I'm not complaining  :clap:

I've done it on my 2009 PD and there were just a few torx screws to remove (and drop) assuming the 2006 is the same. I bought a German Mahle air filter. I see those as also being premium as they are an OE piston and filter manufacturer.

Picked one up this morning and were out of stock of Mann so got a Bosch one, wish I had tried the 'premium quality' option now lol but still under a tenner. Was only about 8 philips screws to undo and swap over filter, took two minutes to do. Must have been the petrol VRS which is a pain to change. Old filter had been there for about 40k so worth changing, garage said it didn't need done when servicing the car on friday

Skoda/VW/Audi etc original air/oil/filters as fitted in the factory and sold by your dealer are actually made by MANN. Mann are usually almost as cheap as any aftermarket brand. So why choose any other?

Sold by GSF 25% off online, often they run 35% weekend codes.

Are you sure they are Chinese?

An old girlfriend of mine used to work at Crossland Filters and they were based (at that time at least) in Bilborough in Nottingham.

I believe Crossland Uk went bust/closed down in 2005 and ECP bought the trading name. Reports they are made either in India (Guttmann- German sounding name but actually Indian and not related to Gutmann Germany Note the different spelling) or in China (Excel - possibly like their products?) Don't forget that ECPs former owner was an Indian, Mr Sukhpal Singh Ahluwalia and some say he set up this Guttmann brand Edited by xman

Lucas as well, which ECP are bizarrely branding their Chinese wheel bearings as.

Oh, they've also into Sachs so deep that Sachs are allowing them to have unbranded concentric slave cylinders that are made in China put into Sachs boxes with a fake Sachs number on them - IE - a Sachs number that doesn't exist in any catalogue.

Why not fit a washable foam filter (IIRC, mine is a Pipercross one - that what was put in 2012 after 3k miles after I bought the Oct II and was on when the remap was done about 7k miles ago in July 2014, and still is after 40k miles) and then wash it when it gets really dirty?

Edited by jeallen01

First I've heard of any of this. I'm suggesting that someone here doesn't like ECP......................

I've used Crossland filters in the part, and they are far from "rubbish". And I'm sure Sachs would never allow fake components to be marketed as their own. Just the same as Kelloggs don;t make cereals for anyone else.

Mike

Crossland filters don't exist anymore, the name was bought recently by ECP.

Oh and I've nothing against them.

I spend £15K+ with them per month so I know what to buy and what to avoid.

I'll post pics of the Chinese Sachs CSCs when I get back into my shop on Monday if you wish?

Gulp ! I just had the complete DMF, clutch and CSC replaced by Sachs stuff, and that does not now make me very happy :envy:

Don't worry about the clutch or DMF, they're all genuine European Sachs items. It just applies to some of the CSCs.

But, from what was said above, is "Sachs" really "Sachs"? And, specifically, was the CSC really Sachs because it looks like it might well not have been even though, I understand, it came from a reputable large motor factor - I will try to find out the P/N used, but I am not confident of getting the answer. :envy:

Edited by jeallen01

Do you have the box of the CSC?

It'll have an ECP number, either a fabricated Sachs number or a genuine one (which you can confirm on Sach's part number catalogue) and where it's made.

ECP often put their sticker over the 'Made in China' text I've found.

Do you have the box of the CSC?

It'll have an ECP number, either a fabricated Sachs number or a genuine one (which you can confirm on Sach's part number catalogue) and where it's made.

ECP often put their sticker over the 'Made in China' text I've found.

No, I don't but I know who might, and I have copied a link to this thread to him so that he can, hopefully, ask the person who does (I hope) still have the box.

Edited by jeallen01