Carista OBD2 - A cheaper alternative to (some of) VCDS

I'd like to use it to get real time data to display using Torque on Android, have you tried running it continuously to get boost pressure, throttle position etc.?

I've never left mine plugged in for extended periods, but it has worked when plugged in each and every time.

Mine came from Birmingham rather than Ireland, though I suspect they all originate from the Far East somewhere...

Hi, there does seem to be a lot of these being sold, some with feedback i.e. not working. Where have most of you guys bought your working ones from?

Thanks

John

I got this one from Amazon...... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DYOVXZ0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I've just got Carista and its working great. My reader isn't the one in the link above though mine is a bit bigger and black/orange. This reader worked fine on my last car with the torque app but for some reason couldn't get it to read the ecu on the mk2. I thought the coder was goosed but no it's working fine with the Carista app. Bought the pro version too really happy with it.

So I've just received and tested this reader.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006JJZVQE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It doesn't work so I'll send it back. Actually it half works, it connected first time and did the basic code reading in Carista. Clicked on the customisation button and it gave the "defective" message and then wouldn't connect. It now connects intermittently but still will only do the basic read.

I'm going to try the one WaveyDavey links to and see if I get on better with it.

Just tried my old ELM one, from when I used to use the Torque app and it works fine with Carista too.

Just not very impressed with the App.

It scanned and said no fault codes found, but absolutely everything I want to do is only available if you upgrade to the £15 version.

Just tried my old ELM one, from when I used to use the Torque app and it works fine with Carista too.

Just not very impressed with the App.

It scanned and said no fault codes found, but absolutely everything I want to do is only available if you upgrade to the £15 version.

It is a little steep price wise for an app but they aren't going to sell it for next to nowt when the alternative is £250 for VCDS.

It's a perfectly fine freebie for fault code reading which with me having maxidot is all I use it for anyway. If someone doesn't have maxidot though then £15 to be able to enable a few options maybe isn't too bad.

• Like 1

That's why I want it. Don't have maxidot but want to enable anti hijack and all doors on one click (want to do this to my T5 van aswell).

I'll also have a play with a couple of other bits like DRLS & CH lights but they're not desperate.

Any one tried Novascan? Searched this site but no results. The Apple App Store says not enough ratings to show. Strange way the do this.  :nerd:

Does Carista have access to the fault code definitions?

Well another fail! The mini one I just bought won't work, same defective message.

I'm wondering if the app has been updated to only work with their adapter.

What version is everyone using?

I'll try one more adapter than sack it off I think.

Really? Very strange.

Assuming you bought the same one I did (linked earlier) and are running Version 2.3 I can't explain why mine works but yours doesn't?

ad2e0d6f362857b0de3126fa4a9a2a49.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Yes I bought it using your link. It connects, scans for faults and doesn't find any. Then going into customisation says it's defective. Same as the other one I sent back. Tried it on my T5 aswell.

I've got another phone I could try it on too, an older Samsung Galaxy S3.

It's a Nexus 5 that it's not working on.

Infact I'll go fire up the old phone now

Well, I took the plunge (more of a splash at the price) and purchased the full version, and... well...

Im very happy I did :D

Just disabled the seatbelt chimes, enabled 1 press for all doors unlocked, activated beep on locking unlocking, disabled all windows down when key held in lock, and cleared stored fault codes.

Very happy bunny here :)

Well worth the money IMO

• Like 2

Well, I took the plunge (more of a splash at the price) and purchased the full version, and... well...

Im very happy I did :D

Just disabled the seatbelt chimes, enabled 1 press for all doors unlocked, activated beep on locking unlocking, disabled all windows down when key held in lock, and cleared stored fault codes.

Very happy bunny here :)

Well worth the money IMO

Stop yer moaning now then....... ;)

Ok quick question....... Under what section does the TPM come? I know when connecting to VCDS it flags up a fault code when the TPM has been triggered. I just checked for fault codes with Carista after having the TPM go off the other week and it comes back with no faults.

I thought it came under the Central Electrics section but is it that it comes under the ABS section? Which is obviously part of the pro package..... So i may end up paying for the pro package in the end.

Just had a visit from Dazz600 in his Fabia Monte Carlo.

Ive enabled/disabled everything he wanted doing... so big thumbs up from me for the Carista App  :thumbup:

Yes I bought it using your link. It connects, scans for faults and doesn't find any. Then going into customisation says it's defective. Same as the other one I sent back. Tried it on my T5 aswell.

I've got another phone I could try it on too, an older Samsung Galaxy S3.

It's a Nexus 5 that it's not working on.

Infact I'll go fire up the old phone now

Similarly, I got this one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291492731785  and it won't run the customisation menu on my 2011 VRS Octy.... :thumbdown:  Guess I'll look for another..

Very strange, that is the same as mine (albeit from a different seller) and it works fine on my 2008 Octavia and 2011 Superb.

Something strange going on here...