Rear caliper carrier removal

The shield plate behind the rear disk has broken all its mounts and I need to remove the disk to get it off, however I've come unstuck already as it seems I need some form of large torx to get the carrier off.  Anyone know what size?

I've temporarily bodged it by drilling some holes in the shield and cable tying it in position so it doesn't rub on the disk, but I can't find any threads on here about removing the carrier, which prevents the disc coming off.

IMG_6939.JPG

ETA:  Any suggestions where to get the replacement shield from?  EuroCarParts don't list it on their website, SkodaParts.com only seem to list the left one.  I'll give my local autofactors a bell tomorrow and see what they find unless anyone has any online shopping recommendations.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

These are real pain to get loose without proper tools plus space there is limited. I've spent around 3 hours hammering metal pipe attached on the ratchet just to undo 4 bloody bolts. Lots of sweat and swearing involved.

Apparently the bolts are stretch type so should be replaced but I haven't done it and all seems to be fine.

They are XZN bolts. They need angle tightening which is a right pain. I used a ratchet strap on the end of the ratchet and then backed off 20ft and pulled. Oh and getting them off is just as fun without a windy gun.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You need to take the hub off to fit a new shield unless you just plan on cutting it off and not bothering.

If you're taking it off be careful not to nudge the rotator magnet in the hub if your car is old enough for the guards to have rotted it's old enough for the rings to be fragile too.

I knobbled one of mine taking off a loose shield. Had to get a new hub after all :(

How fragile is the magnet or housing?  The shield's been rattling about a bit so could it have already damaged it?  Presumably I'd get an ABS warning if the sensor/magnet dies?

How much hassle/cost was it to get the hub done?

I eventually found this thread and Kevin's approach of cutting a section out seems eminently sensible

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/311521-rear-brake-disc-shield-replacement/

If the magnet is rusting already then very fragile and yes you'd get the 3x lights associated with the ABS if it went.

OEM hub is about £100 but patterns are cheaper. I don't do my own servicing but I think changing a hub is a pretty simple thing if you've got the right kit  (hub puller etc)