Sudden Clutch Failure

Hi, looking for some advice!

I have been driving around today with zero issues in my Skoda Fabia 1.2 Mk1. No clutch slipping or anything out of the ordinary.

Just drove a 1/2 mile absolutely fine, then went to pull out of a junction and the car went nowhere - the clutch pedal does nothing when lifted (the car moves very very slightly on flat ground).

The RAC came and did the quick 5th gear test and towed me home, but said he had never seen it happen so suddenly before.

Anyone ever heard of this or got any suggestions? Has the clutch suddenly gone completely or could it be something else? VAG-COM scanned no errors, just in case.

Thanks!!

Edited by cj919

A faulty slave cylinder wouldn't act like that, it would just not allow you to get in or out of gear. A faulty pressure plate wouldn't return to it's original position, it loses elasticity and it would act as described above. If it wasn't slipping before, you should have tried pressing the clutch multiple times and them getting the car into gear.

Edited by Alexandru

Thanks for the tips.

It's not the slave cylinder.

I have tried pressing the clutch multiple times, starting in gear, out of gear, every combination possible and it's the same - the clutch does nothing until fully released. The car moves forward slightly but there isn't even enough bite to stall the car.

I thought it was strange as for the clutch to go this quickly I would have expected some noise etc. Any ideas which part of it might have failed? The car only has 60,000 miles

I should add it's not the slave cylinder as I fitted a new one and bled the system (brakes and clutch). The clutch felt slightly better along with the brakes, but no good :(

Hi, looking for some advice!

I have been driving around today with zero issues in my Skoda Fabia 1.2 Mk1. No clutch slipping or anything out of the ordinary.

Just drove a 1/2 mile absolutely fine, then went to pull out of a junction and the car went nowhere - the clutch pedal does nothing when lifted (the car moves very very slightly on flat ground).

The RAC came and did the quick 5th gear test and towed me home, but said he had never seen it happen so suddenly before.

Anyone ever heard of this or got any suggestions? Has the clutch suddenly gone completely or could it be something else? VAG-COM scanned no errors, just in case.

Thanks!!

I have had this happen twice on 2 different VAG diesel cars, the first time I thought the gearbox had died, but when I stripped it down the clutch plate where it slides onto the input shaft on the splines is made of some sort of nylon material? over time I think they get brittle and suddenly shear, then the clutch plate spins but doesnt drive the gearbox. It was exactly the same problem on my MK1 Octavia TDI no noises just suddenly no drive.....so if the petrol clutch is the same design that is where I would put my money!! (If it does turn out to be the clutch plate DO NOT replace it with a cheap one off Ebay as they are crap and last about 3 months!!)

• Like 1

Any ideas which part of it might have failed?

My guess would be on the pressure plate. Have the clutch kit replaced.

Offtopic:

I also have toreplace my clutch kit and I can't decide which one should I buy. Luk/Sachs are about the same price, but for the OEM part I should pay with 75% more. This wouldn't really be a money issue since it's a long term service thing.

The question is, will it last as long as the one that has been fitted 15 years ago ? 

mhh ... a lot of con's and pro's here ..

Edited by Alexandru