Finding the car you previously owned!?

charles

Hi folks

After looking at old photo's of an MG Midget I had years ago, I wondered if the car still exists. Is it possible to trace by registration(?) if 'any' car still exists? I've looked at the DVLA site but cant see anything relating to this. There's loads of vehicle Reg check sites if your buying a car.

I often wonder about my first Skoda too, a 53 plate Mk1 vRS Octy, maybe someone on here has that?

Cheers.

Edited by charles

There was a part of the DVLA site which allowed you to search for a vehicle simply to find out whether or not it was taxed. All you needed was the registration number.

I cannot think where it is now though.

There was a part of the DVLA site which allowed you to search for a vehicle simply to find out whether or not it was taxed. All you needed was the registration number.

I cannot think where it is now though.

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

I'm not entirely sure how private parking companies find your info out. Must be a way of retrieving the info somehow if they can.

• Like 1

Just used the gov site & found out my first car was last taxed 6yrs after I px'd it & my second car which was declared a write off by the insurance was last taxed 6yrs after the accident! So someone bought it & fixed it..big job as it required a new roof, 3/4 panel etc............

I tried the gov site for a P reg MGB I once owned, I had a bump in it and caused £5000 damage  :x I had an agreed valuation on it and the insurance company took it away early 90's. Gov details show It was taxed until 2005 and now having a 4600 cc motor fitted.  :envy:  :D     

My first car is still taxed and looking good, it's nearly 44 years old now, a K reg VW beetle. Saw it in the flesh locally around 5 years ago, looked in fab condition.

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

I'm not entirely sure how private parking companies find your info out. Must be a way of retrieving the info somehow if they can.

Parking companies buy owner information form the DVLA.

tThere is some debate as to whether the practice is strictly legal or not but it brings the Gov a few million a quite a year so unlikely to be looked at too closely.