HWDeviceService64.EXE - NASTY OR NOT ?

VWD

I get my BB  via a dongle ( Huawei ) . Recently Avast blocked one of the start up files( ???dogupload.??)  and since then I've had messages that the system couldn't find it , but lack of it doesn't stop anything. Shortly after that I started to get requests to allow HWDeviceServer64 to run. I work on the principle that if it was a system file, Windows7 would run it anyway ,so I refuse. After a spyware check which only Rogue killer found anything iffy , the request to allow HWDeviceService64 returned and I hit it with Roguekiller. On the net, this application gets mixed results. Some say nasty Trojan, with programs (??) to remove it, others say it's OK.

As far as i can see,this program does not exist  - ( I've set explorer to view all files etc) and even run a registry check ( regedit /find) ,both return nil, and there's nothing untoward in the programs list on the control panel or using Ccleaner. Anyone met this one and suggest the name/location of the culprit ?

i would say it's genuine, except for fact that the request to run this program (HW.....) is only recent, and after Avast killed one program in the HW setup as viral . What is also suspicious is that Rogue killer kills this request off for a while. But when rogue killer is finished there's a few suspicious entries in the registry and some IAT Eat entries in the malware section .

I'd be wary of anything HUAWEI. :bandit:

Weren't they accused once of embedding chips/software that reported back to the Chinese squirrels?

Recently cleared. Now it only includes "NSA" spyware which is "Freedom approved" :ph34r:

HWDeviceServer64 -  is associated with Huawei kit.

If it's causing problems unblock it and allow it to run. TBH if the Chinese want your data they've already got it.

http://www.shouldiblockit.com/hwdeviceservice64.exe-7634.aspx

• Like 2

Recently cleared. Now it only includes "NSA" spyware which is "Freedom approved" :ph34r:

HWDeviceServer64 -  is associated with Huawei kit.

If it's causing problems unblock it and allow it to run. TBH if the Chinese want your data they've already got it.

http://www.shouldiblockit.com/hwdeviceservice64.exe-7634.aspx

Scary that a certain UK company actually use HUAWEI DSLAMS for the FTTC stuff, despite them being recently cleared. :think:

As said -

1) if request had been there from day one, I'd have no problems.

2) Any other program seeking permission appears in a blue box, this one is orange.

3) after running Rogue killer ,this request to run is not shown for some time.

4) Something has stopped certain scans from running on Avast.

Aspman - i know it's associated with dongle, but I learned years ago not to trust  things like this. Years ago at college ( sort of 486 days, pre w95), I had a virus checker on my floppy for software work , started from Autoexe.bat. Regular occurrence to get hits from certain PC. I took in my free ( in a mag)MacAfee floppy anf got one of the techs to run it in some.   All had a virus on them . The bloke who shouted loudest about my floppy having a funny virus finder got hit the most often by virus.

ETA - just downloaded latest version of SPYBOT and done a scan . 35 items, so it's wait and see if it shows again .

Edited by VWD