MF Cloth Question

laff82

hi chaps

I was thinking of sacrificing a drying towel, the towel from from sparkly's last GB in fact to get a couple more plush buffing cloths. Will the edges fall apart or will they hold together ok?

Next question and a bit of a random one, I appear to have picked up a few bits of debris on a few of my drying towels and cloths. They get washed separatly and any really rank cheap cloths go straight in the bin. I can only assume that they must have blown on whilst line drying as they dont touch the floor and the debris was too big to come off the car, even before a wash.

Do you guys ever comb your towels somehow or inspect for debris?

I might be over cautious but use four microfibres cloths when drying my Yeti.

First for bonnet and panels above bump strip height..

Second for glass.

Third for below the bump strip height.

Fourth for alloys.

I mark them with G for Glass, ABS for above bump strips. BBS for below bump strip and A for alloys.

I buy Kent Industries Extra Large Microfibre Drying Towels which are truly amazing... Five sq feet! B&Q sell them for four pounds each or two for six pounds. Amazon also sell them but they are £4.91 each.

SWMBO regularly washes them for me at 30 or 40 degrees and doesn't tumble dry them --- they come up like new. (Don't use conditioner) just follow instructions on packet.

• Like 1

I recommend drying the towels indoors, if you hang them on the washing line then they are prone to picking up debris/dust.

I can't emphasise enough that quality cloths are essential. I wouldn't touch car paint with a a cloth which isn't at very least 350gsm.

Keep an eye out for group buys on Facebook, Detailing World etc. Ragmaster blue edgeless cloths are my favourite.

• Like 1

I recommend drying the towels indoors, if you hang them on the washing line then they are prone to picking up debris/dust.

I can't emphasise enough that quality cloths are essential. I wouldn't touch car paint with a a cloth which isn't at very least 350gsm.

Keep an eye out for group buys on Facebook, Detailing World etc. Ragmaster blue edgeless cloths are my favourite.

Those ragmasters aren't cheap! Honestly my detailing budget is somewhat under pressure for the next little while hence the question about cutting up one of the paragon drying towels into 4 buffing cloths. The alternative being a few more if the paragon towels when I buy some more gym towels.
  • Like 2

Those ragmasters aren't cheap! Honestly my detailing budget is somewhat under pressure for the next little while hence the question about cutting up one of the paragon drying towels into 4 buffing cloths. The alternative being a few more if the paragon towels when I buy some more gym towels.

They aren't cheap, but never compromise on cloths, bearing in mind it's one of the last things used to perfect the finish on your car. I've no experience with Paragon drying towels so I can't comment on them.

Ragmaster just put a great group buy up on Facebook, £18 for a range of cloths, bargain.

• Like 1

I use two woolly mammoths for drying.  One to get bulk off and once soaked, around with the dry one.

Have carpro Boas for removing polish / wax / sealant.

Boas are very good, very similar to the edgeless blue from Ragmaster. I've found the best drying towel to be the Big Yellow from prestige car care.

• Like 1

Boas are very good, very similar to the edgeless blue from Ragmaster.

I've found the best drying towel to be the Big Yellow from prestige car care.

The Ragmaster GB's are good value actually; and so far - i'm very impressed; although BOA's still come in the WaxPack deals too.

Oh and unpacking more boxes at the weekend - i found my Big Yellow from Prestige Car Care..... i'll test it out soon NM! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Looking forward to boa testing. I noted very slight marking of paint on a type r using my usual cloths. Shows what they can do despite best efforts to achieve the best finish. Honda paint is really soft though.

• Like 2

They aren't cheap, but never compromise on cloths, bearing in mind it's one of the last things used to perfect the finish on your car. I've no experience with Paragon drying towels so I can't comment on them.

Ragmaster just put a great group buy up on Facebook, £18 for a range of cloths, bargain.

I'm happy that the quality of the paragon cloth is high enough, the question i should have asked is whether microfibres in general will fray and or disintegrate if cut into sections. I sort of expect they will, but was curious whether it had been tried before.

I'll have a look at that gb when I have a minute, but I really do have to limit detailing purchases to essentials at the moment. The good "normal" ones i have are 30/70 and 270gsm, so whilst maybe not ideal, not horrific.

cheers for the input all the same.

If you cut those cloths Si the edges will start to suffer and lint all over the car

look who we have here, wanders back in and answers the question asked with the minimum of fuss. :thumbup:   (Welcome back, you have been missed)

trust the big day and honeymoon went well? :cocktail:  :sun:  back to reality now though.

• Like 1