Wales - A4120 Aberystwth to Devils Bridge

mannyo

Description:

A lovely A road that runs almost parallel to the A44, less busy and a lot of fun. Twists and turns, shortish straights and plenty of ups and downs. Reasonable surface and klightly trafficed. A nice workout for the car.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Is Devils bridge the bit with the tight bend over a small bridge by a phone box?

Yup.

Agree this road is a great one. Views better going the other way I think.

Did it in the yeti a few weeks ago.

• 1 month later...

AS it was on route to my parents caravan near Aber done alot of the roads near devils bridge and the dams. Can recommend them totally. i use to set of late in the evening on summer nights so the roads were not so busy as they can be a bit tight in places.Sold the caravan now so will have to wait before I can enjoy it again :)

Martyn,

if you want an exciting route in this area, try the Abergwesyn Pass from the west coast side, and then the Elan Valley/Cwm Ystwyth road from the east. Makes a nice circular route.

EDIT, but mind the magnetic rocks on Abergwesyn!

Description:

A lovely A road that runs almost parallel to the A44, less busy and a lot of fun. Twists and turns, shortish straights and plenty of ups and downs. Reasonable surface and klightly trafficed. A nice workout for the car.

Regularly do this route.

Views are amazing but do not look too much else you will end up falling a thousand feet off the mountain side!

Edited by lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Martyn,

if you want an exciting route in this area, try the Abergwesyn Pass from the west coast side, and then the Elan Valley/Cwm Ystwyth road from the east. Makes a nice circular route.

EDIT, but mind the magnetic rocks on Abergwesyn!

Elan Valley definitely +1

Cwm Ystwyth road a must also.

Trouble is there are so many good driving roads in Wales

• 6 months later...

Martyn,

if you want an exciting route in this area, try the Abergwesyn Pass from the west coast side,

The last time I used this road I was forced off the road by a drunken lunatic in a 4X4 from Tregarron, What he didnt know was I had a policeman in the car with me.

Edited by hussarman

• 1 month later...

These all look like good routes. We'll be staying on the Panorama Walk - http://goo.gl/maps/nlzCd - near Llangollen, at the back end of next week, and I had hoped to get trips down to mid-Wales, but I think time will be against us. However, I think I might have persuaded SWMBO to book our half term break around there. I was just browsing Streetview and found that what appears to be a greenlane, between the B4574 and the A44 has been captured, which includes the Lluest-Dolgwiail ford - http://goo.gl/maps/ENyJi - wetroads have this as off-roaders only - http://www.wetroads.co.uk/powys.htm but a Google car (Astra?) has done it. Anyone been on this road?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Tried this route today but came from Rhayader direction. First part wasn't brilliant but did improve. Think it would be better the other way. The stretch of A44 can be good if it's clear

Indeed, especially with sureGrip on dashed lined corners :) The big right hand sweeper if it rings any bells.

• 4 months later...
The interesting bit is actually the B4343 :)

Agreed, I drive that road every day. Its more flowing and when you get a clear run very enjoyable.

I like the A4120 for the views though; they can't be beaten.

Should anyone be in the area give me a shout and I can point you in the direction of some other great roads in the area.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...