Anti-rust coating in Norway

Shouldn't be needed as the entire body is coated with zinc, and the underside also gets an epoxy based sealant. Suspension parts are the worst areas, but those can be treated with Rustoleum or Waxoyl. Just avoid Hammerite, it only sticks to carpets these days.

I did it before delivery of mine. It feels good and I actually think it's necessary if you intend to keep the undercarriage in good condition for a long time. I also think it is a good sales argument on the day you actually are going to sell the car. Even if the galvanizing prevents rust, it does not give a pariculary good protection against wear, scrapes and knocks.

I asume a coating will reduce road and wheel noise, but I can't say for sure because I haven't driven the car without.

But: check with your dealer WHICH type they approve (some types can react with the factory applied sealant and cause trouble). I was told that they don't allow any driling for application inside channels etc. But hey, all other surfaces including wheel arches behind the plastic are now coated.

• Like 1

What you heard is correct.

& if you are at any point going to need the Manufacturers Corrosion Warranty, the Annual / Service Inspection needs to have been done,

& any Additional Protection Coatings will have needed to be approved.

Coatings can hide more than they are actually inhibiting from occurring.

But I have read many places that coating actually can CAUSE rust because just a little rip or tear in the coating is enough to let in salt and water which then have very good conditions to get "worse". But, I have no idea of what's right

It can and does happen, Common in cavity sections like box sills, the rustproofing can chase any water-dampness into a corner where it remains trapped. I also remember the days of the old type brittle black underseal. Car could look perfect when you stuck it on the ramps, tap it with the MOT hammer and entire floor sections would sometimes crumble  :D

But I have read many places that coating actually can CAUSE rust because just a little rip or tear in the coating is enough to let in salt and water which then have very good conditions to get "worse". But, I have no idea of what's right

It really depends if the people doing the coating know what they are doing. Many companies here in Finland offer a coating developed with the car manufacturers, which is designed so that the factory coating isn't damaged. I had a treatment like that on our previous Volvo and went 9 years without any signs of rust. (And the noise reduction was really noticeable.) I highly recommend getting a treatment if they use as much salt over there as they do here.

A couple of Finnish winters will ruin most cars without added protection.

Edited by kallekilponen
  • Like 1

It really depends if the people doing the coating know what they are doing. Many companies here in Finland offer a coating developed with the car manufacturers, which is designed so that the factory coating isn't damaged. I had a treatment like that on our previous Volvo and went 9 years without any signs of rust. (And the noise reduction was really noticeable.) I highly recommend getting a treatment if they use as much salt over there as they do here.

They use massive amounts of salt in the cities and surrounding areas. I hate it!

Its hard to find decent winter roads these days.

• Like 1

They use massive amounts of salt in the cities and surrounding areas. I hate it!

Its hard to find decent winter roads these days.

As do I. There are a certain set of conditions when it's useful (namely to prevent black ice), but most of the time it only worsens the conditions and makes cars rust at an alarming rate.

Here a car is usually ruined in a few years if you rely on the factory coating alone. The stuff Skoda uses does a decent job at protecting the inner cavities, but the exposed metal parts, especially in the rear, are far too vulnerable for our conditions.

As do I. There are a certain set of conditions when it's useful (namely to prevent black ice), but most of the time it only worsens the conditions and makes cars rust at an alarming rate.

Agreed. Under certain conditions salt can help. But here they often use it instead of a snow plow.

Salting when it has snowed 10cm++ and temperaturs well below zero makes for a nasty slush to drive around in.

I often use way more washing fluid than fuel on a trip.

Agreed. Under certain conditions salt can help. But here they often use it instead of a snow plow.

Salting when it has snowed 10cm++ and temperaturs well below zero makes for a nasty slush to drive around in.

I often use way more washing fluid than fuel on a trip.

They do the same thing here. And no tire is able to grip said slush so it makes driving equally bad for everyone.