Rough Road Package this time round?

As our kids continue to flower and grow, I'm starting to think that something even bigger than the Octavia might be the way to go next time.

Unfortunately for me 4wd and half reasonable ground clearance are pre-requisites. Last time the Superb wasn't allowed longer legs in the UK (making the Superb Outdoor completely pointless IMHO). Do we think this will change this time round and at least the Rough Road Pack will be an option like it is on the Octavia?

If anyone on here has the inside line on this, most appreciated.

Niall

Edited by Niall

WE have a similer problem on VWs.....basically for certain countries they add extra under body protection due to roads etc.......over here we don't get these items as the importer SUK or VWUK think we don't need them!

However people are looking on partsbase.org or other sites etc & finding out the parts involved & retro-fitting them to their cars! I have successfully added various parts to my Golf estate which would make up a rough roads package including rear wishbone guards & a full engine bay skid tray......all OEM VW & from my local VW dealers parts dept, who have been amazed at these "new" to them parts...........

So the same should be possible for your future car............

Underbody protection is one thing, raised suspension is another.

It should be worth noting the raised ride height on the Octavia Scout is predominately down to the larger wheels and higher profile tyres.

Underbody protection is one thing, raised suspension is another.

It should be worth noting the raised ride height on the Octavia Scout is predominately down to the larger wheels and higher profile tyres.

Indeed, but my RRP Octavia is higher than standard, the Scout just builds from that with bigger wheels. It would be nice if the new Superb can do the same as an option.

• Like 1

Ah, so there is revised suspension on the 4x4 over the standard Octavia?

The Scout then adds 17" alloys and higher profile tyres?

How does the 4x4 achieve it's height increase?

Longer springs I guess? Just to be clear, by default the 4x4 isn't leggy (whereas the Mk2 was) so you have to ask when ordering by specifically speccing the rough road pack; which adds ground clearance and underbody protection.

• 1 month later...

Have you thought about an Audi A6 allroad Niall? 240 bhp, smooth and well equipped.  Next time I'm near Abington a trip in mine on the Dalveen Pass would convince you...

Edited by Jeeves

• 4 weeks later...

So......

RRP is in the Brochure for £200, but only on S and SE. Increase from 149mm to 164mm and underbody plastic protection, exactly same as the Octy 3 (it's like they're on the same platform or something.......)

If you 'downgrade' an SE L to 17" wheels (which are an FOC option) anyone know if you could then spec the RRP on an SE L?

I quite like the sound of a 190 4x4 Estate when the Octy's PCP is up.

Niall

So......

RRP is in the Brochure for £200, but only on S and SE. Increase from 149mm to 164mm and underbody plastic protection, exactly same as the Octy 3 (it's like they're on the same platform or something.......)

If you 'downgrade' an SE L to 17" wheels (which are an FOC option) anyone know if you could then spec the RRP on an SE L?

I quite like the sound of a 190 4x4 Estate when the Octy's PCP is up.

Niall

Hi Niall,

No, I don't think so becuase the brochure says that 17" wheel options for an SE L can only be matched with a 1.4 TSI or 1.6 TDI engine.

By the way, if you choose an SE L 1.4 TSI with 17" Helious the configurator does list RRP in the options list but I don't think that's quite what you're after ;)

Edited by l4wrence

I was just playing round with the configurator this morning, speccing up an SEL Exec estate, and the RRP was offered as an option in the configurator.

Offtopic: Niall...ex owner of a Mk4 Ibiza and former member of SCN?

Looks like the configurator has been updated. It's offering RRP on SE L even with a 19" wheel option. DCC is not available if RRP is selected.

The brochure still shows RRP as an option only on S and SE described as 'Rough road package - Includes engine guard and underbody stone guard. Ride height is increased by 15mm. Only available in combination with 16" or 17" alloy wheels.'

You might be able to get what you want after all Niall. Then again, what is correct - brochure or configurator?

Was briefly on SCN (using a slightly different name) when we had a Mk1 Leon from 09-11.

...back on topic...

Hmmm, interesting, given that the current PCP isn't up till Jan '17 theres plenty time to find out if a 190 4x4 with RRP is truly possible.

Niall

• 1 month later...

I messaged SUK about this re the SE L and got a call from John Goode confirming it could be specified without changing wheels. They confirmed this creating a dummy order in the official order system.

It appears that few, if any, dealers are aware of this.

I raised the same issue re the L&K but was told that can't have the pack(?).

I messaged SUK about this re the SE L and got a call from John Goode confirming it could be specified without changing wheels. They confirmed this creating a dummy order in the official order system.

It appears that few, if any, dealers are aware of this.

I raised the same issue re the L&K but was told that can't have the pack(?).

So what actually prevents the this option from being specified on the L&K? Is it just because 16" and 17" wheels are not an option on it? But surely the 16" and 17" wheels would still have been the same total diameter and width as the 18" so can't see why it makes a difference.

Brain not functioning well enough to recall what DCC (chassis control?) is but John Goode told me the reason was that the L&K had so many features on it already that this one wasn't deemed necessary, or something like that, but I was losing the will to live, with Skoda at any rate.

Total rollocks of course.

Edited by Claymore

DCC is Dynamic Chassis Control. DCC is optional on the SE L but standard on the L&K. If you specify a Rough Road Package in the configurator for the SE L, the option for Dynamic Chassis Control is greyed out. Therefore it can be assumed DCC is not compatible with RRP and hence RRP is not available on an L&K.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had this reply from Skoda customer services, which contradicts earlier thoughts about the RRP:

Thank you for your email dated 13 August 2015 regarding the ŠKODA Superb.

I am sorry for the delay in responding but we had to check with the Factory on this issue.

They have confirmed that the ‘Rough Road Package’ is only available on the ‘S’ and ‘SE’ trims with 16in and 17in alloys

I hope this information proves useful. Should you require any further details then please feel free to contact me on the
telephone number listed below.

Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.