Impressed with 1.2 Tsi Engine

Maybe not a waste of your hard earned cash if you put Tesco Momentum 99 in and it costs 5 pence a litre more than other Supermarket unleaded 95 ron. & Tesco Unleaded 95 ron.

So 40 litres costs £2.00 more at a fill up.

Less than the cost of 2 litres of the Unleaded. if you got 1 mpg better consumption you have covered half the extra cost.

The car might run slightly more efficiently.

Even if the MPG is no better, it will be no worse yet you might feel the car running smoother on the higher Octane Fuel.

What is to stop you investing an extra £6 in filling up 3 tank fills and trying yourself to see if you notice or feel any difference.

Sainsburrys , Esso, & BP Super Unleaded is 97 RON Minimum in the UK.

Tesco Momentum 99 & Shell V-Power Nitro is 99 ron Minimum, 

But the Shell might cost another extra £2 again over the Tesco Momentum at a fill up.

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuel/testing_results

Edited by goneoffSKi

Maybe not a waste of your hard earned cash if you put Tesco Momentum 99 in and it costs 5 pence a litre more than other Supermarket unleaded 95 ron. & Tesco Unleaded 95 ron.

So 40 litres costs £2.00 more at a fill up.

Less than the cost of 2 litres of the Unleaded. if you got 1 mpg better consumption you have covered half the extra cost.

The car might run slightly more efficiently.

Even if the MPG is no better, it will be no worse yet you might feel the car running smoother on the higher Octane Fuel.

What is to stop you investing an extra £6 in filling up 3 tank fills and trying yourself to see if you notice or feel any difference.

Sainsburrys , Esso, & BP Super Unleaded is 97 RON Minimum in the UK.

Tesco Momentum 99 & Shell V-Power Nitro is 99 ron Minimum, 

But the Shell might cost another extra £2 again over the Tesco Momentum at a fill up.

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuel/testing_results

I tried doing a few tankfuls and you're right it doesn't cost much more per tank, I even got extra clubcard points while I was doing it but the engine neither felt or performed any different to what it did or does now on 95 RON. If you've got a local Tesco filling station then give it a try but if it doesn't make a difference like I found then why use it. It's like the placebo effect, it you think it's better then crack on and use it, me, I'm a realist and I found no benefits so went back to bog standard good old 95 RON and my car is still running sweet as a nut and will be getting it's 2nd free service within the next two weeks with no problems from me to report.

Ive been hanging on motorcycle forums for decades and learned never to discuss oils or gas :)

Anyway, the short answer is no.

• Like 2

Gazbull17,

That was you running it with a 105 PS Euro 5 Emission Engine.

All UK Type Approved Engines must be capable of running on 95 ron, and it is not a very technical engine / Engine Management.

But it can produce more than 105 ps which is the Minimum.

So it will be interesting to see if other notice anything with a 110ps Euro6 Emission Engine once run in,

or even before that.

Higher Octanes RON / MON are not about a Placebo Effects really.

There is mention in the Owners Manual on the Fuels and Octane & Higher Octane .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Edited by goneoffSKi

Briskodians, put whatever fuel in your car which makes you happy, I don't really care whether it's placebo or not, just run it on anything you want and you might get an extra 10 mls to a tank or you might shave 100th of a second on the 0-60 dash, happy fuelling :)

• Like 1

Nail on the Head.

& the Spark Plugs might last longer, but you will be changing them anyway, 

and depending on location cold starting and running might be slightly improved.

The good thing is that since people run their cars and fuel up all the time, like for every 400-500 miles,

they get the chance to try different Brands & Octanes.

Its not Rocket Science or even Rocket Fuel, just Petrol.

I am planning to stop using Shell UL+ when wife gets her 1.2TSI 110PS, currently her 2003MY 1.4BBY, which should not see any improvement from using that over 95 UL, really does have improved drivability while using 99 UL, if I changed back to 95 UL she would kick my bottom as she has not forgiven me for buying her a 75PS Polo to replace her 90PS Fiesta almost 13 years ago! Though there is no MPG gain overall, I've always warned anyone thinking about changing fuel grade upwards, no to expect immediate gains, give it at least 3 full tank refills before making your mind up as the ECU will take time to adapt.

• Like 1

The ECU adapts as soon as the new fuel goes through, once it is the higher Octane.

It does not take a few tank fills, if near empty when you change fuel.

I can go from 99 ron with a couple of litres left, put in 102 ron and a few miles latter the difference is very obvious.

• 3 weeks later...

After grtting my fabia on Thursday and reading the manual, I will do as suggested: use 99 or over. By the way; it's 1.2 90 hps petrol but as i never had a new car, I'm curious as to why the engine sounds like a diesel one? Is it because it's brand freaking new?

After grtting my fabia on Thursday and reading the manual, I will do as suggested: use 99 or over. By the way; it's 1.2 90 hps petrol but as i never had a new car, I'm curious as to why the engine sounds like a diesel one? Is it because it's brand freaking new?

It doent SOUND like a diesel, it PULL like a diesel. In fact the motor is very quiet.

Edited by pfaff

Maybe it's just me. Yeah it feels like it's a diesel but regarding sound i can say that it pretty much sounds like a diesel at well. I'll post a video so you can hear soon , today

I have thought once or twice it's a little noisy on start up, but by that time the radios come on so it soon gets out of my mind haha, I've done nearly 3,000 miles in mine since back end of march so far but I love it, brilliant car.

• Like 1