skoda fabia vrs turbo gone PLEASE HELP

so i was driving my skoda fabia vrs last week driving normal not (booting it) and all of a sudden i heard a little pop then loss of power. i immediately pulled up somewhere safe at the side of the road. i thought the engine had gone.

i realized the car hadn't stalled and was still started so i drove down a side road to see what the problem was and realized my turbo wasnt kicking in so i popped the bonnet with the car still started and i noticed the rubber turbo pipe which connects to the intercooler down by the (starter motor or the alternator) was sucked in and wasnt round like it should be.

i cut the engine out and the rubber turbo pipe expanded back to normal so obviously there was alot of suction in the pipe for god knows what reason. i started the car back up and it sucked the pipe in again,but now the engine sounds like it wants to cut out and dont sound healthy (rocking abit) and now the car is puffing alot of white smoke out the back and the car smells like a old fair truck (burning oil)

so i cut the engine out again and looked at the turbo pipe that connects to the egr and it looked easy enough to unclip pipe there and slip the pipe out the way while i start it.

so i started it again and the engine sounded ok abit loud but thats because the pipe wernt connected it was smoking abit again but went after 40 secs but i could notice alot of oil in the pipes and coming out the egr.

i connected the pipe back up and started the engine again and it started smoking badly again and engine idling strange and the smell of burning oil,and the pipe was sucked back in again and then it cut out.

then i tried starting it, sometimes it would start and sometimes wouldnt.

then i noticed there was abit of oil in my water filler cap (coolant) so i checked my dipstick oil was on there no milky stuff or water or bubbles on there neither was there anything when i checked the cap of my oil refiller

but now the car was spitting abit of oil out the back exhaust of the car. so i took the tubo pipe off again and have been starting the car with the turbo pipe disconnected as it sounds healthier

i jumped in the car to try and drive abit closer to home, it was driving smoking out the back then i could hear crunching sounds and shrapnel and it didnt sound healthy, im thinking its the turbo thats causing this sound,the turbo pipe that connects to the egr is still not connected at this point while i drove it abit, as i pulled up left it running and the noises sounded like they where coming from by the egr valve (behind it) and alot of oil coming out the back exhaust dripping.

can anyone please help me!!

is it time i source an engine for the car or get a new turbo? as i dont know much about the mechanics of a car just the basics really

anychance someone could give me abit of advice on what to do.

i have only had this fabia for just under 2 months now and the previous owner had told me the turbo had just been reconditioned, however i cannot prove this and a garage i had phoned up and explained the situation to, said that reconditioned turbos still fail.

And to bring it in for a look over, i just want to get abit of advice on here because if the engine is knackered and ive paid money for a new turbo and labour then im in a deeper hole

if the engine is knackered and ive paid money for a new turbo and labour then im in a deeper hole

Why would the engine have failed?

We have probably at least a dozen turbo failures a month on here and not one of them in recent memory has damaged the engine, simply replace the turbo and intercooler, clean everything up and bingo, the car will perform like before.

thanks sepulchrave for the help i just hope to god the engine is ok :sweat: knowing my luck. i spoke to someone i know not long ago and i explained the bit of oil in the coolant and he said its not my turbo its head gasket failure or a cracked cylinder head :sweat:

A 'pop' then loss of power could be a boost pipe connection, it also sounds like the intercooler may be full of oil, possibly from the previous owners turbo failure, in addition you may be getting head lift leading to traces of oil in the coolant.

I suggest you start at first principles by checking all the pipework and connections, take the bottom hose off the intercooler and see how much oil comes out then once the car is running properly check for head lift by seeing if the coolant tank is still pressurised when the car has cooled right down.

Above all, don't panic and be rational. The engine will be just fine.

hi  sepulchrave what is head left?  and how on earth has oil got into the water i dont understand does my coolant (water)connect to my turbo? hopefully aswell when i get time tommorow ill take off the intercooler and pipes see how much oil is blocked up in there, maybe why it was causing the suction on the pipes? and have ago at taking turbo off how do i know if my turbo has gone? just feel for play on the small turbine,

Head lift is where the cylinder pressure stretches the head bolts enough to allow pressure to escape into the water jacket, it can also unstick the head gasket enough to allow oil seepage into the water jacket because the oil is at high pressure as well.

Simply remove the TIP so that you can see the impeller with a torch and look for any signs of damage, also pull the impeller to check endfloat and any side play, take a picture and post it if you're not sure.

ok so if my car has experienced head lift does that mean the engine is knackered? i mean i wouldnt mind as much if it was just the turbo its just that the oil in the (coolant water filler) isnt reassuring me one bit.and yeah will take a pic if not sure tomorrow.

i remember topping up my water about 2 weeks ago and all looked fine in there.

i got full car breaking alot of interest already loads of promises but nothing gone yet except electric mirror switch wheels and injector loom everything else still here atm 

yeah i topped it up with water a little bit i wouldnt of said it was losing water (coolant) the light didnt and hasnt come on the dash, i just topped it up a little bit as i hadnt done it before. and yeah the car is remapped. ive took the pipe of that sits in the corner by the intercooler and a little puddle of oil fell out. i showed my mate the car earlier and he said deffo my turbo but confused like me about the oil in the water.   

the car starts up still but ive still got intercooler pipe tucked to the side

also i took the cap of the coolant and started it for a few seconds and i can see that the water that is circulating around the engine and coming back into water coolant tank is clear water but the oil is sitting in the middle of the bottle

i drove it up and down the road earlier slowly and can still hear the damaged turbo crunching (scratching) slightly,didnt do it for long as ive heard my diesel engine could runaway on me. will be taking turbo off 2moz now i just hope thats it and engine is ok but still abit annoyed about oil in the water filler

so i took the turbo pipes off,  the bottom intercooler pipe that i took off was full of oil probs about 1 pint or 2 and little bits of metal.

took the egr off had a gap to play with put my finger into the turbo to see if proppeller would move it was jammed no play, so i took a pic and looked at it and you can see the propeller scratching the side and its jammed with little pieces broke off,

the car will be getting a replacement turbo supllied and fitted from a garage up the road come thursday, in the mean time i noticed alot of sut on the egr it was caked literally so was the manifold it connects to so i cleaned up the inside of egr and done my best on the part it connects to but was in an awkward position.

ive took the intercooler off and soaked it with wd40 alot of oil was dripping out,and again with the pipes.

because of the metal at the bottom of the intercooler does that mean my engine could be gone? and does the suction come up through the intercooler up to the egr?

ive took PICS ALSO

1ST TURBO PIC LINK  http://i.imgur.com/o1i2DCa.jpg

2ND PIC LINK  http://i.imgur.com/yHL8sZn.jpg

EGR PIC LINK  http://i.imgur.com/NWHux6q.jpg

MANIFOLD NXT 2 EGR  http://i.imgur.com/83SF7Z5.jpg

INTERCOOLER PIC     http://i.imgur.com/DzIBvp4.jpg

need any advice from anyone on here please i just hope the car aint knackered

Intercooler tends to catch all the crap before it gets into the engine, the turbo shaft has actually snapped hence all the oil running out of your exhaust, clean everything until it shines, replace the turbo and the intercooler and you'll be good to go.

also if anybody could help me, whats still baffling me is the bit of oil in the water filler (coolant), is it common when a fabia turbo goes that some of the oil contaminates the water (coolant)  

when i start the car i can see fresh clear water (coolant) going into the water (coolant) bottle from the top pipe which i have circled in red.

and the bit of oil is sitting in the middle of bottle, ive checked my oil top up and dipstick and they dont have milky bits or water on them.

could anybody help as this worries me spending all this money and the engine could be on its way out ?, i have took pics also 

water (coolant bottle)  http://i.imgur.com/GU09ZK5.jpg  circled in red is where fresh clear water feeds into bottle.

oil filler cap    http://i.imgur.com/tGt8A8i.jpg  (looks normal)

dipstick   http://i.imgur.com/mJEEpgL.jpg  (looks normal)

also i noticed this pipe had a delete (blank) on it.http://i.imgur.com/kBdlNUr.jpg   it connects to egr pipe? is that ok