Vrs seems to drive/maintain speed when not pressing accelerator

Hi just as topic says...

When in 3rd, 4th, 5th, my vrs seems to maintain or slightly increase speed when im not even on the go pedal..?

Been told its probibaly the clutch ??

Its an 04 Vrs, remapped, std clutch, dmf 135k, l believe its prob the original clutch to the car..

I dont mind changing clutch, l would kust like to know if im on the right track..

Cheers

Brendan

Can't see how that could possibly be related to the clutch unless the engine revs increase but the car speed doesn't?

Hey tmb,

No it's not slipping as such, it's more like you take your foot of the pedal as you want to slowly come to a stop but the car maintains the speed you were doing...

Someone told me it was the clutch binding on and not releasing properly...

Thanks

Brendan

Hey tmb,

No it's not slipping as such, it's more like you take your foot of the pedal as you want to slowly come to a stop but the car maintains the speed you were doing...

Thanks

Brendan

Hey tmb,

Thanks

Brendan

Hey Brendan,

Does it happen with the clutch pressed down when you try to come to a stop?

I'd say it sounds more like a problem with the throttle pedal unit not releasing properly, which is not unheard of.

Hey tmb,

Thanks

Brendan

Never take any advice about cars from this guy again! There is no way that the clutch can cause the road speed to rise on light throttle unless it's slipping under load.

It sounds more like the throttle pedal isn't fully returning to idle (check throttle opening in VCDS and expect a non-0 value) or the throttle body isn't closing fully even with a 0 opening demand.

Hey guys sorry my phone would not let me post this morning...

On the way to work l could not get enough speed up to make it happen.

I have VCDS Lite, can l measure the throttle with that version ??

Thanks

Brendan

Diesels have a high compression ratio and can drive themselves in tickover. If the engine thinks its going to stall the ecu will pump in some gas.

I can drive mine through the gears without any gas and the car will chug along at 36mph in 6 gear on tickover. Its one of those quirks of diesels. I think this is what you are refering to if so then its nothing to worry about.

Hi guys,

Not on tickover more around the 2500-3000 rev range..

It like you take your feet off the pedal then a split second later you feel the car pick up and unless i brake or change gear it maintains or slightly increases speed..

Sorry really hard to explain.

Brendan

When you start it does it sometimes over rev for a second? Mine started to run on when the thermostat started playing up a few years ago. Only did it every now and again but it felt strange to have the car accelerating slightly when lifting the clutch.

Can't confirm it's the thermostat but seemed to make sense to me.

Hi guys,

Not on tickover more around the 2500-3000 rev range..

It like you take your feet off the pedal then a split second later you feel the car pick up and unless i brake or change gear it maintains or slightly increases speed..

Sorry really hard to explain.

Brendan

Ok, on those sorts of revs it could be a slipping clutch. Could you post some RPM and equivalent road speed figures?

Ok, on those sorts of revs it could be a slipping clutch. Could you post some RPM and equivalent road speed figures?

Hi mate just seen this, been really busy at work..

I will get some numbers and post in the next day or so.

Thanks for the help buddy !!!

Brendan

hi Ken,

this morning it happened when in 4th gear, 55mpg 2600-2800 rpm, hope this helps

Thanks

Brendan

What does the live MPG readout indicate when you're off the throttle pedal? Just wondering as mine reads '--' when I lay off the throttle or when idle.

What does the live MPG readout indicate when you're off the throttle pedal? Just wondering as mine reads '--' when I lay off the throttle or when idle.

not sure, i reckon mine will be the same, but if i check that when its doing this thing it may read diff??

Cheers

hi Ken,

this morning it happened when in 4th gear, 55mpg 2600-2800 rpm, hope this helps

Thanks

Brendan

That's sort of inconclusive; I'd suggest asking a local garage if they'd have a check (since that will probably be free on the understanding that they get the work if it is the clutch).

Clean the throttle body and flap. Reset with VCDS then see what happens. buy the sounds of it the gunk might be holding it open

Sent from my Galaxy S5