Anyone want a Porsche 928GTS?

Mil

They're bloody bullet-proof those things, unbelievable. My uncle got rid of a 928 in 2001 with 150k on the clock. If they're driven regularly (he used it as his daily ride) and serviced properly, they go on for ever.

And he only sold 'cos he saw a Merc SL at a good price :rolleyes:

A particularly fine example, I would say. Exterior-wise anyway....

Steve

The GTS is probably the least bullet-proof one. Quite a lot of the engines have an oil consumption problem. However it is the last model, so has the most goodies, and the most power, and should be less worn out than older ones. But they do go on for ever, if looked after properly. My 83's done about 125k miles so far.

The GTS is probably the least bullet-proof one

Fair enough, I was obviously basing my outlook on my Uncle's one :)

He had a 1980 911 Targa before that, and certainly found the 928 to be as reliable. But as you importantly mention, I think it's the proper maintenance that's vital to a Porsche living forever....

Steve

I had a 928 before I bought a Merc 560SEC before I bought the Octavia RS. And before th 928 I had a 944.

Reliable is not a word that I would use to describe it. It was an early one. I had to rebuild the gear box, brakes, change the radiator, most of the ignition system and interior trim and then ran it for about 10K Kms. Then the gearbox input shaft bent when the engine mountings broke going around a roudabout at 60Kms per hour.

No one could accurately diagnose this problem here (Dubai), so I had to fix it myself. The gearbox is four feet long and at the back of the car. You have to remove the rear suspension to get it out.

To change the engine mountings (190 Pounds each btw) you have to remove most of the front suspension, the engine crossmemeber, steering rack et all. Even then it's not easy. Bear in mind this was a "Simple" early car (1980 model)

You cannot buy a 928 on a whim, you have to be prepared for it.

When I finally got shot of it, I could only sell it for 1/2 what it had cost me in total, despite it being one fo the best early 928 in the country. Nice looking car though

That GTS will be lucky to sell for that price.

6632.attach