Quite pleased with new 1.6TDI engine cover......

Hi All,

I know the issue of Rapid/Spaceback engine covers (or rather lack of them) has been dealt with in an earlier post, but thought some of you might like to see some before and after photos of my upgrade.  Skoda decided to stop fitting the engine covers to the 1.6TDIs during 2014 and I feel that leaves the engine bay looking messy and the engine unprotected. VW have not done this, preferring to keep the push-on/pull-off cover for both protection and sound deadening.

Have published a few photos on Photobucket so you can see the end result:

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/nignb/library/Spaceback%20Engine%20Cover%20Update

My Skoda dealer couldn't identify the engine cover when searching on my VIN, as it shows greyed out on the online catalogue (due to being deleted as a standard fit). However, a quick search on the actual engine type/no. quickly identified the necessary part numbers.

The engine cover came with the four small rubber fitting seals already in place, and the Skoda logo - so the only extra needed is the o-ring that locates around the oil filler cap.

However, if you do want to fit an engine cover you may find that only two of the four locator fittings are in place.  There are two at the rear of the engine bay which are integrated (cannot be removed) but the two front locators were missing on my car. I have published photos showing the threaded brackets that take these, and you can buy them from your Skoda dealer for a few quid each.

I like the end result, and there engine is a little quieter too.

Edited by NigNB
  • Like 2

This was one of the first improvements I did to the car and I believe it's worth the money.

However it did absolutely nothing in lowering the engine noise level...

Mine is also a 1.6tdi with the cover missing. Do you have the part number (so I can check any ebay items), and what was the dealer cost?

Many thanks - Richard

Edited by RMurphy195

ebay in europe has more of these than ebay UK - many VAG brands use the same one, you'd just change the badge.

previous threads on here have the info - including part numbers AFAIR.

Hi Richard,

The list prices for the components are:

Engine Cover - £53.71 (with emblem and 4 rubber seals)

O-ring - £5.34

Don't forget to check if you need two ball post fittings...

If you have difficulty with part no.'s PM me and I'll double-check.

• Like 2