Laurin & Klement - Should i buy, anything to note ?

I have come across a 2010 2.0TDI Laurin & Klement with just 25k on the clock, is there anything to tell on this model that i need to be aware of and what is the 2.0TDI In DSG form like ? I have a 1.6CR Fabia Elegance at present (2010) but really want DSG and a few more toys, i had the idea of passing on the Fabia to my wife but she wants heated seats (and it does not have them !!). It does look a very nice car but its the same age as mine with more miles (mine has 19k) and its up for £11,000.

Any opinions ?

Did it have any options that could be spec'd that may not be on it ?

The L&K is fully loaded, the only factory fitted cost options were:

1) Bluetooth

2) Sunroof

3) Variable boot floor (standard on estate)

4) Sunset glass (estate only)

5) Silver roof rails (estate only)

6) Spare wheel

7) Tyre pressure monitoring system

8) 6 CD changer in the boot

9) Columbus satellite navigation

10) Heated rear seats

11) Mobile device interface (MDI)

12) Front parking sensors

13) Towbar

14) Towbar preparation

They're nice cars.

If the car was manufactured after September 2010 then the cambelt needs doing after 5 years. If prior to this then it's 4 (and overdue if not already done).

DSG needs the oil changing every 40k miles.

I have a feeling that xenons weren't standard (or maybe that's the older ones).

Phil

Xenon's were not standard on only the very early (2006 / 2007) pre-facelift L&K MkII Octavia's.

All FL (facelift) L&K's get the xenon headlights as standard.

Most of the L&K's I've seen have very bright white leather, it may have been the photo's but the leather always looks white not ivory. A little too bright for me.

Has this one got the white or black leather?

octavia-combi-lak.jpg

That's it! I knew there was something to do with the pre-FL and FL and xenons.

The pre-FL also got the auto dimming side mirrors up to about 57 plate cars. They then dropped them from the spec. Probably due to the cost of them!

Phil

I had one and if it has ivory leather then it is an early car and may not have the xenon headlights and will have the same wheels as the elegance model. Mine was a later one, one of the last pre-facelift cars registered in the UK on and 09 plate. That had the black alcantara upholstery, the alternative which is shown in post 4 is full grey leather, including the centre part of the door cards.

Ian

Love mine. I had it spec'd with bluetooth and columbus. Only thing I've added (apart from Brisky sticker  ;) )  is a spare wheel and toolkit for peace of mind.

No need for MDI or CD changer when you have a columbus. Thought about retrofitting tyre pressure monitoring but not really sold on it.

Not had a single problem with anything on the car.

Apart from servicing, have fitted wiper blades and a pair of tyres on the front.

Car is currently on 30k miles

Thanks for all the info, so i guess the PD engine did not have a DPF filter ? Also post FL were there any changes to the DSG box as well, the 2010 model year would be the cut off for me, i may get this 11 plate or even an 09 if the spec is right but i am right on the cross over from pre/post face lift.

Excellent, i have seen a few of the later 2009/2010 model with the 1.9TDI and then a decent amount with the 2.0TDI, given how close in CC's they are does it matter which one i went for ? And as an aside how can i tell if in the service history the DSG box oil has been changed at every 40k interval ? I have called a few dealers about cars and all they say is '' it must of been done because the stamp is in the book for the serive at around 40k ''? Is this good enough or should there be something separate which says the oil has been done. Ta

There is quite some difference between the 1.9 PD105 and the 2.0 PD140 in terms of refinement and power, the PD140 has a 6 speed gearbox but you really need to drive both.

No 1.9 PD105 engines fitted to the Octavia have a DPF.

The best way to check if the DSG oil change has been done is to ring the dealer that carried out the service, the details should be logged on their computer system detailing exactly what was changed, hopefully DSG oil is listed!

I will do that, the dealer (maybe not franchised) who did the 40k (ish) service will get a call and i will see if they listed gearbox oil as a supplied part, if not.... walk.

And i may look more towards the 2.0tdi given its decent amount of power over the 1.9tdi, there appears to be an equal number of both.

Edited by Hudson01

As above... try a 1.9 and you may just be pleasantly surprised!

Although a difference of 35bhp on paper sounds a lot I doubt you will notice in real terms.

I went from a manual PD130 Seat Cordoba to the DSG PD105.

It's a heavier car but I have never once felt it lacking in power.

We make regular trips to Germany and it will quite happily fly along the Autobahn all day long. Even when we have made trips with 5 adults and 5 suitcases it just doesn't bat an eyelid up the slip roads and hills etc.

Also done a couple of laps of the Nurburgring in mine. Overtook a few cars!

I think the 1.9 generally does a little bit better on fuel than the 2.0.

Phil

I will keep it in mind, i will be swapping our current 1.9tdi (remapped) Fabia Mk1 Elegance for it so i am used to the engine but not in a heavier car with an auto box, i have had a few px prices :D they are really funny.... going to sell privately given its low miles and mint cond, just need an auto and a bigger boot or i would be keeping it. Thanks for all the info on the site it has helped me short list the sort of year and model octavia i am after.

The 1.9 is completely different when it's paired with a DSG.

It might not be as quick on paper as a 1.9 in a Fabia but it's just so much easier to get moving. Just a gentle tickle of the throttle and it's pulls really well.

Plus the Octavia is a much better chassis than the Fabia. You will find it more composed and more confident through the bends.

Phil

• Like 1

I think the 1.9 generally does a little bit better on fuel than the 2.0.

Phil

Quite a bit more in my experience... but fuel consumption doesnt bother me too much fortunately now I do less miles.

I've a 2009 l&k 2.0 dsg. Has been a great car. Avg 45mpg; best 53 on a long run on motorway. Black leather/alcantara seats. 

Flappy Paddles on 3 spoke steering wheel were an option. The bluetooth preparation for phones uses rSAP,  so my nexus 5, and indeed any standard android phone using kitkat after 4.4.2 will not work with it. I tried a Samsung galaxy note 4 which worked using 4.4.2. Nor according to Microsoft will windows phone 8 or higher; and according to Apple,  iPhones don't support it. 

I'm changing to a volvo XC60 later this month. 

The dsg oil change and belt change was expensive at 4 years. 

Edited by Fellwalker

Quite a bit more in my experience... but fuel consumption doesnt bother me too much fortunately now I do less miles.

Well ours is a DSG so probably about the same as a 2.0 manual.

We've done some trips back from Germany recently going the long way so via France and Dover. Done approx. 630-640 miles with 45miles range showing left. That's cruise control all the way sticking to the limits (130kmh in Germany and 70mph in UK).

Even when we've done faster runs (driving in convoy with a Merc E350 CGI convertible- trying to keep up!) we've still managed 48mpg. The person we were travelling with in the Merc was astonished at how little fuel we had used compared to them!

A steady A road trip I can get nearly 60mpg out of it.

Phil