VW Caddy (c20)

Thinking of chopping in my car for one these but can anyone shed any light on to which engine would be best?

1.6 tdi

Or 1.9 PD

Cheers kieran

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends. 1.6 commonrail for economy, cheap tax and smoothness. 1.9pd for grunt, dependability, and ease of applying to odd cheeky mod to.

Personally, my work vehicle is a 1.9 pd, it works hard for a living, on the odd occasions somethings gone wrong, its been a simple, cheap diy job to fix it.

I wouldn't have a commonrail for work, they can be delicate little things.

Edited by StevesTruck

Depends. 1.6 commonrail for economy, cheap tax and smoothness. 1.9pd for grunt, dependability, and ease of applying to odd cheeky mod to.

Personally, my work vehicle is a 1.9 pd, it works hard for a living, on the odd occasions somethings gone wrong, its been a simple, cheap diy job to fix it.

I wouldn't have a commonrail for work, they can be delicate little things.

1.9pd, Especially if using for short trips

Will look at the 1.9pd then cheers for replies

Is it the van version you're thinking of or the MPV 'life' version?  If the latter, someone posted this handy link when I was asking about what changed in the facelift:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/caddy-facelift-due-late-2010_topic55188.html

I'd prefer the older non-DPF equipped engines.

John

Is it the van version you're thinking of or the MPV 'life' version? If the latter, someone posted this handy link when I was asking about what changed in the facelift:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/caddy-facelift-due-late-2010_topic55188.html

I'd prefer the older non-DPF equipped engines.

John

Panel van

Guest BigJase88

1.6 td in a work van is a complete false economy!

You spend most of the day ragging its balls off to go anywhere.

I know its nowhere near the same but my work van is a 1.6 hdi berlingo. Book states 64mpg. I return about 35-37mpg. Totally useless

1.6 td in a work van is a complete false economy!

You spend most of the day ragging its balls off to go anywhere.

I know its nowhere near the same but my work van is a 1.6 hdi berlingo. Book states 64mpg. I return about 35-37mpg. Totally useless

And thats not mentioning the DPF in the 1.6, not much good for us tradesman that nip around town.

Is the 1.6hdi reliable? Been looking at a new Toyota (same as Citroen dispatch) n i think thats the same engine isnt it?

Guest BigJase88

And thats not mentioning the DPF in the 1.6, not much good for us tradesman that nip around town.

Is the 1.6hdi reliable? Been looking at a new Toyota (same as Citroen dispatch) n i think thats the same engine isnt it?

Well mine has had death since it was brand new and its now on 85k (mine is the 75bhp version)

Fuel economy is not brilliant due to the low bhp of it so im hooning it on the mway to maintain speed. Sometimes needs dropped to 4th

The engine has a very funny tone after 3k rpm (all are like this) i like to call it dtec. Sounds as if someone has thrown a bag of spanners under the hood.

All our vans (6 of them) varying mileages 30k to 85k all have the same oil leak. The engines seem to leak at the cambelt side near the sump.

Mines also has a leaky rocker cover gasket. Tbh i dont think the french build engines very well

Well mine has had death since it was brand new and its now on 85k (mine is the 75bhp version)

Fuel economy is not brilliant due to the low bhp of it so im hooning it on the mway to maintain speed. Sometimes needs dropped to 4th

The engine has a very funny tone after 3k rpm (all are like this) i like to call it dtec. Sounds as if someone has thrown a bag of spanners under the hood.

All our vans (6 of them) varying mileages 30k to 85k all have the same oil leak. The engines seem to leak at the cambelt side near the sump.

Mines also has a leaky rocker cover gasket. Tbh i dont think the french build engines very well

Ah. Hmm. Im abit put off by that haha.

Might try n get away with a caddy maxi ;).

Cheers.

Seems to be a reoccuring pattern with the 1.6HDI, Kick it's tits in every day and it'll last forever, treat it well and it clogs up.

I picked up a lot of PSA Finance cars that had been looked after well, not done many miles, etc and they all showed faults of some sort, if only the DPF. Then a firm I used to work for had a fleet of 1.6 HDI Berlingos. They used to get loaded up with 5 lads, bags for a week, tools and driven flat out to the far end of the country. Services were missed, they all got driven like they were stolen, and I don't think they ever had a problem with any of them apart from tyres and crash damage.

1.8 tdci in our connects at work are al 75bhp balls utter gack. Couple of turbos have been replaced, all 2011 regged. Serviced at correct intervals but god knows how well they are carried out.. no power in any gear.. useless

Guest BigJase88

1.8 tdci in our connects at work are al 75bhp balls utter gack. Couple of turbos have been replaced, all 2011 regged. Serviced at correct intervals but god knows how well they are carried out.. no power in any gear.. useless

We also have one of these.

Its worse than the berlingo's.

Plus for the passenger seat its like a deckchair for some reason

We also have one of these.

Its worse than the berlingo's.

Plus for the passenger seat its like a deckchair for some reason

whats wirse is the fleet is due for replacing in the few months and one of the lads heard we will most likely be getting couriers next time.. same engines same basic design just even less load space for the gear that doesnt fit in the connects as it is! I worked out one day that to get same mpg out of the connect as i get in my 2004 octy at the 50mph avg speed i get on my commute to work means driving the connect in 5th gear at 41mph...at all times...
  • Like 1

Caddy is a good van - the 1.6 cr is fine, just not going to set the world alight, not enough torque for hauling loads.

We have a 2.0 cr transporter with a 105 engine and its a lot better than the same 1.6cr 105 Caddy.

• Like 1