H & R Springs

Hi, Im new to the forum but been browsing for some time now but finally decided to join up so hi to everyone here.

I bought a Silver Octavia Mk1 VRS back in Feb this year, ive had a few niggles including the central locking issue when the door deadlocked but managed to sort that out myself luckly just by banging the mechanism.

Im looking into lowering springs but dont want to go stupidly low which is why i like the sound of the H&R springs which supposedly lower the VRS model by 20mm and still keeping some ride comfort on standard dampers.

My question is has anyone dealt with these from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29124-1-H-R-Federn-fur-Skoda-Octavia-RS-Lim-Kombi-Typ-1U-2WD-nur-2WD-nur-RS-/300932416770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4610f84502

they seem quite cheap considering most other places prices are between £165-£185. Are the genuine and will the fit the VRS Model?

Hi. I don't speak much German but they look right. Seen some around for 160 sterling not too long ago.

Word of caution though it's a slight gamble putting them on standard dampers especially if used. They're not quite uprated enough to cope with the spring rate so can end up oversprung and a bit of a pogo. Some have had issues with lower springs on standard dampers. Dropping increases damper rate, but possibly not by enough to cope. I think the 20mm drop is bang on and I'd do it myself but don't want to take the risk. Get a whiteline rear anti roll bar instead, much more of a handling improvement whilst still retaining comfort.

• Like 1

they are cheap mine were £160 like 3 years since  :(

does drive noce and feel really comfy but tight in corners with them fitted

Are yours on standard dampers? Thought you had Koni or am I thinking of someone else...

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the input guys not sure what im going to do yet but I noticed that the front end of the car is sitting higher than the rear so ive had a look at the springs to see if the rears had a snapped coil, but they dont but i have noticed new springs on the fronts which are made by KYB, the part number is RC1703 so ive googled it and they seem to fit for seat leon, golf v5 and octavia 1.9 tdi and doesnt mention the VRS model unless im missing something?? so has someone fitted the wrong springs hence the difference in ride heights from front to rear?

I have read somewhere that the VRS standard springs are dealer only, is this correct?

This is the problem with trying to source aftermarket vrs springs, many firms "say" they fit, but in practise they are usually Golf springs and not rated correct for the car. The H&R's are about the only ones that do what they say on the tin as regards fit.

Seem to recall the standard drop from standard to vrs was about 30mm if I remember correctly, what are you getting measuring from wheel centre to top of arch?, I'll measure mine tomorrow to compare if it helps?.

Oh, and welcome to Briskoda by the way.

Indeed, they'll fit the dampers but the wrong height and loading. As Phil says there is a fair drop over standard. It's like if you buy coil overs for octavia mk1, they rarely list what they do to the vrs so you see them and think eek 35-40mm drop? That's too much, but it actually equates to around a 20mm drop for the vrs. Why they don't give that info I don't know.

i have also been looking at these springs for my car and will certainly uprate the shocks as our car has now covered 148k, could anyone link me to the relevant uprated ones i require?

You could either go for a full Koni kit which has Koni dampers with h and r fitted, start under £400 or just about any 30% uprated gas shocks would probably cope, Bilstein, Monroe or sachs for example. Although I think sachs are difficult to source for both ends.

Sure someone here has more specific advice based on experience.

Right i have measured the distance from the centre of the centre cap to the arch and the front is 390mm and the rear is 350mm,

Yeah that's not right surely, how does it handle?

Mine is 370mm front, 344 rear,although the rear is getting a little tired on mine, so would think your rear is about right. Your fronts would appear to be non Vrs standard Octavia ride height.

retroboost83, when people were moding these before coilovers became the norm, Koni FSD's were the weapon of choice with the H&R's, they will probably go on mine soon as coilovers are just to agressive for my spine now.

The handling is not all that bad in fact for the size of the car i think it handles very well, better than my Cupra i had but it does tend to try to spin the wheels if i pull off too quickly especially when its damp but yes it doesn't quite feel right and to me defo doesnt sit right there is a clear gap at the front that i can get my hand in sideways.

Thanks kentphill that would make sense as there is a 20mm difference between mine and yours so yes you could be right someone has put the incorrect springs on.

Don't talk to me about wheelspin, torque is nice but has its disadvantages. It probably feels ok because the front springs even though higher will probably be a tad softer which compensates for the imbalance a little. These cars benefit from being a bit nosey especially as they have no rear anti roll bar as standard.

Are yours on standard springs and dampers Yellowcar?

Im torn between H&R which ive now found for £130 delivered from Germany or just replace the fronts and keep the standard ride height and comfort.

Will i lose much comfort when fitting the H&R's?

Are yours on standard springs and dampers Yellowcar?

Im torn between H&R which ive now found for £130 delivered from Germany or just replace the fronts and keep the standard ride height and comfort.

Will i lose much comfort when fitting the H&R's?

On standard yes, but with whiteline rarb and front upper and lower strut braces, if you want to maintain comfort but improve handling considerably I'd recommend the same, with the right front springs. I don't think the h and r will be harsh or crashy, as said my concern would be how they get on with used standard dampers. As Phil says it could be worth a pm to Bowders.

hi kiddiwinkles,

i have the H and R coils with koni settup on my vrs mk1, handles well and its suprisingly civilised.(rebound set at 1 and a half turns out from soft  front and rear. in case yer interested) even with 40 profile tyres, The ground clearance is nothing to write home about tho!

• Like 2

hi kiddiwinkles,

i have the H and R coils with koni settup on my vrs mk1, handles well and its suprisingly civilised.(rebound set at 1 and a half turns out from soft  front and rear. in case yer interested) even with 40 profile tyres, The ground clearance is nothing to write home about tho!

I think the Koni h and r set ups are the way forward especially under £500, least hassle probably as well.

• Like 1

Had H&R springs on mine for about 6 years now, 1st with FSD's not a cheap option but an improvement over standard, not firm enough for my liking, swapped the FSD's for B8's, much firmer, more to my liking.

• Like 1

i agree with you andy68 re the damping with the koni's, i'm thinking of going the b8 route but with standard springs, i need the ride height back! the speed humps round here are terrible.