Looking to buy 1.2 Tsi Roomster

Hi All,

Please forgive me if this has already been answered, I'm new to the forum and still finding my way around.

I'm looking at a Roomster 1.2 Tsi (105) and I'd appreciate any hints or comments on what to look out for etc. I'm no mechanic but we have a Octavia mk1 Estate to I'm reasonably familiar with the marque. I don't do the mileage to justify a diesel and from looking elsewhere on the web the 1.2 petrol seems to be well respected. I realise that the lights are a bit of an issue and there are HID upgrades or simply after market bulbs in the short term.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave 

Hi, I have the 1.2tsi 86 and its great. Love the car to bits. I too had seen bits about headlamps being poor but mine are the projector headlamps with standard bulbs and I dont have a problem with them at all. To be honest I hate the HID kits that are fitted to standard headlamps as they simply dazzle at night, not sure if they fail MOTs too so be carefull and you may actually not need to upgrade.

I should imagine the 105 goes like stink!

• Like 1

If you have the de modules (fishbowls) in the lamps then xenon's usually don't dazzle

I fitted a set of 5000k lamps to mine nipped down to see a friend and checked the alignment and the difference is staggering

On cars that don't have the modules then you should really fit h7r which has part of the bulb blanked off

If I'm honest I have only fitted them to de modules in the past as I'm not sure how much of the pattern is blanked off on the h7r bulbs

I followed a police car last night for a few miles down some dark lanes with little street lighting i am sure if the alignment was a miss they would have pulled me over

Getting back to the 86v105 debate I too bought a 86 and at first a was a unsure bit after just doing a 500 round trip fully loaded with wife and baby plus all baby belongings it returned a respectable 48mpg

You can if you so choose remap the 86 to anything up to 129hp various companies offer this bit you will probably find like I did she is built for comfort not for speed

• Like 1

Just to also add the 86 is still available from 9995 new or if you try weatgate Skoda they have pre reg even cheaper

But be quick once they are gone there gone

Popped in to Rainworth Skoda today as they fitted the wrong reg no to the car

They had new silver 86 for 9500 or a 14 plate 105 with 10k for 12000

If you have the de modules (fishbowls) in the lamps then xenon's usually don't dazzle

On cars that don't have the modules then you should really fit h7r which has part of the bulb blanked off

If I'm honest I have only fitted them to de modules in the past as I'm not sure how much of the pattern is blanked off on the h7r bulbs

I would never ever recommend the h7r bulb, or any aftermarket HID installation in a reflector unit. The beam pattern is unpredictable at best and the light scatter is spread wider than a call girls legs!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The 105 goes very well, it's my wife's car really but I love driving it.  

Less so at night it has to be said.  The headlights are acceptable on main beam but I find them poor on dip, which is the projector lamps.  Part of that is what seems to be a low cut off, even with the adjuster at its highest, so I intend to get the adjustment tweaked to try and improve it.  In fairness, they might seem worse to me than would otherwise be the case as my own car has HIDs which are like daylight in comparison.

Second hand or new?

The roomy with the 86 or 105 hp tsi engine is a fine car and I am very satisfied with it.

If you buy it secondhand just be sure the timing chain issue has been checked by skoda service,and in case appropriately dealt with.

Search this forum if you have not heard of it before:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/352998-skoda-fabia-12-tsi-engine-rattle-noise-anyone-had-the-same/

my missus has a black edition 105

nice nippy car and i know she's not opened it up proper like i would although at times she gets foot happy,which after driving it once i can see why lol

• Like 1

The 105 goes very well, it's my wife's car really but I love driving it.  

Less so at night it has to be said.  The headlights are acceptable on main beam but I find them poor on dip, which is the projector lamps.  Part of that is what seems to be a low cut off, even with the adjuster at its highest, so I intend to get the adjustment tweaked to try and improve it.  In fairness, they might seem worse to me than would otherwise be the case as my own car has HIDs which are like daylight in comparison.

I've become quite adept at driving at speed through the dark country lanes at night flicking deftly from dip to main,I agree they're not the best headlights in the world but then again they aren't the worst...well...not quite..lol