VRS grille respeay - am I being fobbed off?

This is mainly aimed at people who've had this done or DIY'd it. Basically, how hard (if at all) is this of a job?

I've contacted a bloke this morning who apparently respeays bumpers/grilles etc and he's giving me the impression this job isn't on his favourites list.

Reason being, the paint doesn't stick to the chrome very well and then can stone chip/flek badly from general usage. I questioned why the chrome can't be just scrubbed/sanded off and he just started ummming & ahhhing about how the cost will be twice as much. Seriously?? For a respray??

Anyone any experience with this? He's asked me to send a pic but I feel he's gunna decline the work as he stated he won't guarantee the paint job. I simply don't have the time to do it myself hence my enquiry.

Anyone in the Cheshire area who's a dab hand at this could always make an offer. Happy to pay beer money afterall :)

It will not adhere to chrome well, you could always take the chrome off yourself to keep costs down. Many advocate sanding and a good quality etch primer.painting yourself is not difficult, light even coats with sanding between each coat using 2000 grade wet and dry. Its all about patience, people get excited and start piling it on, do it over a full day rather than an hour and you will be fine. I use the oven after each coat at home with the door open for small parts

Had my grille resprayed about 4 months ago by a local company £35, 4 months on looks as good as new cracking job! Only thing I did was dismantle the chrome part from the actual grille drop it off for them once done refitted it myself.

• Like 1

I did it myself with a Plastidip spray can 3 years ago and there has been no issue whatsoever ... and you can peel it off if you don't like it.

• Like 1

Mine was done on a second hand one about 4 months after buying from new by a Polish lodger of a mate who was handy with paints (only used the old unhealthy type though, didn't rate modern thin paint), and he said that the plastic/chrome was a bit of a b1tch to work with for exactly the same reason of adhesion. Still going strong after 7 odd years though with just the odd stone chip. Cost about £20 + cost of paint I think.

Edited by blackspaven