Standard Seat Covers & Side Airbags...

shaman

- don't mix, apparently...

Anyone have any suggestions on how to protect the front seats? Do out-of-the-bag frontseat covers for vehicles fitted with side airbags exist at all?

Wouldn't want to leave it as is, usually just a matter of time before accidents happen...

Best regards.

Hi Shaman,

I dont think I have come across anything that you could protect the seats with, your best be is prob to leave the covers off and go for something like scotchguard to make the seats easier to clean.

Shaman, unless you can buy seat covers which have been specifically designed for the seats in your car, and been tested so as to guarantee that they will not interfere with the safe operation of side airbags, I would stay well clear of fitting any. I can't imagine that it would be cost-effective for a seat cover manufacturer to certify their seat covers as safe unless it is for a major model, eg the Golf, where they could expect significant sales volume.

As far as I know -- no-one makes covers,we have a trimmer that does leather trimming for us -- and he has to use special technics to allow correct deployment.

We've even had to change the plastic seat covers our technician's use when working on cars -- again to allow correct deployment of the bag.

Under NO circumstance should covers not specifically designed for the task be fitted.

**** , I totally forgot about the side airbags when i fitted my front seat covers.

My wife regularly uses my car on her commute from mid-Wales to Liverpool (170 miles per day!!!)

and being a chocaholic and crisp eater on this long journey - i wanted to protect the light coloured seats from staining.

I have had the covers in the car for a few months without thinking about the airbag implications!!!

I suppose I will have to take them out now!

Steve

Seat covers with side airbag provison - do a search on ebay inautomotive section:

Search for Skoda

Select items available to UK, which means not just UK advertisers!

Tick title and contents? boxes

There will be hundreds of items, buit you will see seat covers with side airbag provision. I know because I have seen them while searching.

HTH

John.

Originally posted by steveredvrs in this post

**** , I totally forgot about the side airbags when i fitted my front seat covers.

My wife regularly uses my car on her commute from mid-Wales to Liverpool (170 miles per day!!!)

and being a chocaholic and crisp eater on this long journey - i wanted to protect the light coloured seats from staining.

I have had the covers in the car for a few months without thinking about the airbag implications!!!

I suppose I will have to take them out now!

Steve

i am probably very rusty with my knowledge, but i didn't think the RS had side airbags.

please someone correct me if i'm wrong.