The vRS 230 - What's going on with Skoda?

Seriously, we all know about badge politics but are they just not looking at the other VAG brochures for their halo models?

Seat  - Cupra 280bhp
VW  - Golf R Estate 300BHP 4WD

Skoda - vRS 230..... Same engine, lower tune and an improved diff.

The vRS is a big seller for the Octavia, but the prices are creeping up and they best they can / are allowed to come up with is a new diff and a remap!  :thumbdown:

But they don't have the boot space and practicality of the Octy

Not that much in it.....

rare.jpg

VW_GolfREstate_11-L.jpg

Estate Boot Space (litres)

vRS -     610 / 1740

Cupra -  587 / Not Stated

VW -      605 / 1620

As for practicality, not sure what benefit the Octy holds over the others....

The boot space in the Octy is much larger and practical then the Golf or Cupra hatches. Try getting golf gear for two, bags and trolleys, in the boot of the VW or Seat hatches :-)

• Like 2

In reality, there is no real crossover of these models. The Golf R costs start at £33K and is 4WD, the Cupra 280 at around 29K and the VRS 230 seems to be around 27K and that's before options.

If you compare bang for buck, the VRS and VRS 230 really do make financial sense in that you get a lot of car for less than the VW or SEAT.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice :happy:  :happy:

• Like 2

It is not the same engine, each has different internals, mainly in the head, and different externals, inter-cooler and turbo to get the extra power reliably.  Just because you can get a remap to take the standard VRS engine to virtually any power you want does not mean that VAG simply do the same when they market more powerful motors.

The 230 will be the same as the GTI performance which is just a slightly different map on the standard engine - +10ps - plus the diff

The golf R estate ticks a lotta boxes for me especially, if some of those silly PCH prices are floated around, anything sub £320p.m. is very doable for that car although, the 280PS 4 X 4 Superb 3 is also a candidate if its got DSG.

• Like 1

Size, quality of interior, there are many variables to make your choice and really within the legal speed limit does 280 matter over 230 BHP?

I really cant understand why Vw group support Seat as much as they do with models like that, out of the 4 brands Seat is the worst performing financially. They should be supporting the brand thats making them money instead of losing millions

• Like 1

In reality, there is no real crossover of these models. The Golf R costs start at £33K and is 4WD, the Cupra 280 at around 29K and the VRS 230 seems to be around 27K and that's before options.

If you compare bang for buck, the VRS and VRS 230 really do make financial sense in that you get a lot of car for less than the VW or SEAT.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice :happy:  :happy:

The difference in monthly costs between a £27k and £29k car are trivial, and if you get an extra 50hp....

I really cant understand why Vw group support Seat as much as they do with models like that, out of the 4 brands Seat is the worst performing financially. They should be supporting the brand thats making them money instead of losing millions

Yeah, why do Seat get the adaptive dampers and Skoda don't.?
  • Like 1

The difference in monthly costs between a £27k and £29k car are trivial, and if you get an extra 50hp....

^^^ This. Plus decent haggling will easily bring down the gap even further.

In it's defence, the vRS is still on 2.9% for a PCP which is still good compared to SEAT (4.9% on PCP) and VW (6.9%), but the Golf R is known to often be around on bonkers lease deals. The ST will be a tougher one I reckon.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice :happy::happy:

I disagree. I looked at a vrs before buying my fr estate as I had a mk2 vrs at the time. Seat offered better value for money by the time I specced the skoda to the same level - sat nav , front parking sensors , folding mirrors and at the time cruise control. All options on the octavia. Not to mention that I don't think the mk3 is significant improvement over the mk2 considering the price increase. The octavia hatch offers far more space but when comparing the estate the skoda starts to lose its appeal. Add in that in all the media reports the Leon is the better drivers car. Skoda usp used to be it was always significantly cheaper and usually had more spec as well. I think they have now lost their advantage.

• Like 2