Wheels refurbed (sort of)

I dont think I did anything different than anyone else would to warrant a how to thread. One thing I did invent though, masking the rim to tyre is quite difficult so I got a length of airline tubing used for aquariums and sandwiched it between the tyre and wheel by deflating the tyre and pressing it in. Then wrapped the tyres in cling film, cut off the excess and taped between the cling film and tubing which was a lot faster. The inside rim of the wheel is painted obviously but once the tyre re expands you can't see that. The wheels where quite damaged on the spoke faces and I couldn't sand back too far and as a result they are not perfect but good enough for now. I will likely be changing them soon anyway but the tyres have a lot of life left so wanted to use a bit of it.

I cleaned them with bleach, then used a round edged mouse electric sander (shaped like an iron) using a rim on the tyre as a guide to flatten the wheel rim and curbing. Then angled the sander to round the rim off and started with 700 grade sandpaper on other damage working down to 2000 grade. 3 light coats of primer and light sanding, 3 light coats of colour and light sanding before a final misting of colour. Then 3 coats of laquer to finish . Oh and 5 mins with a hairdryer between coats

Just recently re-furbed mine, just the face's. I used x2 pks playing card's, air out of the tyres & placed the card's into the bead around the rim, worked a treat  :clap: very little overspray

Yeah not a rocket science really but patience and proper prep work is the key here. For the Zeniths I've needed 3 cans of primer, 3 of paint and 3 of lacquer but I did the inner side of the wheels too (with primer and paint only).

To be honest 4th can of the lacquer would be better but the result is not bad I think. All in for about £35.

post-108823-0-03752100-1432213224_thumb.jpg

post-108823-0-72262900-1432213228_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Love the black zeniths, I did think of black but was thinking it would make my already plain car plainer.it's really not that difficult to refurbish the wheels it really is just patience. Lots of light coats and drying time between. I'd just give it a go if you are planning on a refurb anyway.

Yeah not a rocket science really but patience and proper prep work is the key here. For the Zeniths I've needed 3 cans of primer, 3 of paint and 3 of lacquer but I did the inner side of the wheels too (with primer and paint only).

To be honest 4th can of the lacquer would be better but the result is not bad I think. All in for about £35.

Did you celloluse or acrylic based paint/ primer/ lacquer?

Poundland only does cellulose primer, the topcoats were both acrylic. Not ideal to mix I know and I wouldn't do it the other way around

Just realised you were not asking me lol

Did you celloluse or acrylic based paint/ primer/ lacquer?

Please see the link for the stuff I've used:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MLIFN8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271567167203?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just realised you were not asking me lol

I think your response is more comprehensive than mine anyway :)