Vrs on 19" wheels

Considering a secondhand Vrs estate but it has 19" wheels - will the ride be awful, as it's not renowned for having a great ride quality on the standard 18" wheels

Really depends on what you consider an acceptable ride.  I consider my 2012 FL vRS on 18" wheels with 225/40 tyres to have an atrocious ride, although it is very slightly better on its 17" winter wheels with 225/45 tyres.  In my opinion it is the suspension design and the components used that  causes the hard ride more than the tyre/wheel size.

You'll be fine, of course there is less rubber between you and the road but the difference in ride shouldn't be that different.

I find the ride on the 19's pretty good. No different to the 18's. I think they really suit the car.

• Like 1

The ride on the 19" is good and I can't find a differences in the ride with the 18" and the 19" xtremes look really nice on the octy 3 vRS

Depends where you live and how good the roads you mainly drive are (and as above, what you find OK). I borrowed an Octy 3 vRS on 18's, and after 20 miles around Manchester I couldn't wait to give it back, even my 7 year-old son complained about bouncing about. I have a friend with the Golf GTD which has the adjustable suspension option, and it is perfect, you can have the best of all worlds. Bit expensive but at least it is an option.

I was dreading that the ride on my VRS would be hard and uncomfortable - if anything I feel it's controlled and graceful. It's not buttery smooth of course but you feel you're in control and not 'out of place'.

After having had soft comfortable cars before I was worried but it wasn't needed - I'm in love with the car and it's handling/ride.

Edited by foregonereality

There seems to be such wide difference of opinion on the ride quality with the standard 18" wheels. Most car mag reviews do not seem impressed whereas I don't remember this being an issue when buying our mrk11 back in 2010.

Drove the car with the 19" wheels at the weekend at it didn't seem to be any firmer than the standard ones I driven however the roads were fairly smooth around the garage whereas our as very much the opposite !