1.2TSI Tin Plate Rattle?

Noticed for a while now that my Roomster 1.2TSI has a tin shield type rattle. More noticable when cold but even when warm can hear it. Even people stood outside can hear it and ask if theres something wrong. Sounds like theres a tin heatshield loose or something.

Phoned dealer in Huddersfield and booked it in as I wanted an oil and filter change, only done 2000 miles but Im old fashioned and still beleive that it needs an oil change after a few miles. Told them about the rattle and the lady was going to call me back. She called back and told me they had ordered a heat shield ready for today. So wife took it in this morning, the lady denied me mentioning the rattle but agreed to look at it at the same time.

Wife went to pick it up at teatime and was given incorrect price for oil and filter, tried charging £179 when they had quoted £85 which is bad enough. Anyway that aside the lady at the dealer said that the rattle is the turbo waste gate and all Roomsters do it.

So been for a run out in it tonight and yeah can hear the waste gate when I blip the pedal when its warm but still from cold there is the tin shield type rattle.

Has anyone else had this kind of noise?

Cheers

quick question 

does the noise go when you turn the A/c on 

i have i noise on mine that sounds similar but goes when i turn the A/C on 

phoned dealer told them the compressor clutch has probably gone (background in aftersales ) and was told to bring it as they cant order parts over the phone fair enough i thought 

took it in and was told the mechanic thinks it could be the compressor but is not sure and to book it in for 2 days for diag 

Did the Service Desk lady not go on to mention the Turbo Shim is a Service Campaign / Warranty Issue 

If they all do it, then that is a lot they have to sort out at Skoda UK's expense, but as long as they do yours.

You will find the issue in many Briskoda Threads if you do a search or a Google.

An interesting point, have googled it and sure enough people talk about the turbo shims but only seems to be on DSG which I think is automatic where as mines a manual.

Finally found time today to have a check around with a cold engine and cant seem to find a loose heat shield. Started the engine and sure enough the rattle seems to come from the turbo area.

Looks like it is a noise that comes from the turbo and Im pretty sure it cant be something that Ive just bought a brandnew car and Im expected to just live with it.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, had a call from the new service manager at my local dealer last week. He introduced himself and had a chat, asked how our visit was the other week. So I told him I was disappointed about the rattle and to be told it was normal. Guess what he had no record of it, anyway he asked me to call in with it and he would go out for a drive with me to try and hear the noise. We both went out in the car and it wasnt making a sound, after a while it did and he seems to think its transmission related. Hes going to look into possible causes and get the car in for a looking at.

Fingers crossed.