Fabia VRS gearbox query

I have what I thought was a leak coming from my gear box. I have taken some pictures as I'm not sure where the drain and fill points are. I have included the pics below.

One shows the hex screws on the lower area of the box and one shows what looks like a plug and a plastic bung further up the side of the box which looks like it is wheel arch liner out to access it.

Could someone help me out here please and advise what I'd need to do to check the oil level of the gearbox and possibly change the oil or top it up?

Thanks in advance.

20150524_160613_zps3niydxu8.jpg

20150524_160708_zps8fce7zbu.jpg

sent from my Galaxy Note 4

I had the garage do my pd100 gbox oil change. And if i remember right your 1st pic with hex head top right is filling hole. And bottom hex is drain.

I know to top up you keep filling until it drips out thats the way to check as far as im aware.

Im sure the gboxs would look pretty similar

Yes that sounds like my logic also. I'm just waiting for a 10mm hex bit to arrive in the post now before I go any further with this. I've struggled to find any information where people have a hex screw to plug the sump and filler though. Every post I've found it would appear people normally have a security torx head screw.

2a7tw5v.png

Thanks mate, I know it is pretty obvious but I thought what the hell, the briskodians are a forgiving bunch, i'll ask a daft question! Lol :-)

Thanks mate. You know the inspection window/hole on the gearbox where you can see what looks like the edge of the dmf? What is this utilised for? Do you know what checks you can do using this little window?

I'm pretty sure my dmf is on its way out that's all and was wondering if I could use this to see how bad it is?

Yeah I've read that one, thanks :-)

To be honest my sump plug has been leaking every so slightly for a few weeks so I'll probably just top the level up. The gearbox oil I've got would appear to be compatible with the VAG stuff that I think is in there.

I was going to change the oil as I have 3 litres of fuchs titan in the garage, but I'm going to be getting my clutch and flywheel replaced over the coming weeks so it'll get emptied then and it seems like false economy.

No I appreciate that, I just thought it would be common practice as it would just make the box heavier. Probably a wrong assumption in all honesty.

Just finished renewing gearbox oil on my 2005 Fabia MK1 VRS.

My filler & drain plug different to yours have attached picture, filler & level plug had a steel washer.

Oil looked murky and stinks to high heaven, beware getting it on yourself and clothes, people will smell you before seeing you..LOL

Used FUCHS Fully Synthetic SAE 75W80 API GL-5 as OPIE OILS supplied me 3 litres for £27.00.

Not bad price considering Skoda wanted £29.00 per litre !!

OOpss!! sorry this is your second thread on subject...

post-19613-0-53493000-1433003157_thumb.jpg

I went rung up skoda a month or so ago about getting some gearbox oil for my Vrs, and was quoted the same, so I just ordered the drain plugs at the time (although they were the wrong ones!) I got talking to the guy that served me as I knew it wasn't the one I got on the phone and asked him for gearbox oil and he got me some for £6/7 a litre! And it is for the Vrs six speed box as he showed me on the computer.

I mentioned the price of £29 and he said yes we can supply that but that's a performance one and the other one for £7 is more than capable :)

Yeah, I've done that before also.

If you get the reg for a Seat Córdoba for example you will get the cheap stuff. If you give the reg for a Fabia Vrs with the same engine and same gearbox you will get the performance stuff.

Yeah, I've done that before also.

If you get the reg for a Seat Córdoba for example you will get the cheap stuff. If you give the reg for a Fabia Vrs with the same engine and same gearbox you will get the performance stuff.

Bit naughty really, just because it has a 'Vrs' badge, I never checked it against the performance oil and just took the guys word for it, so I assume it's basically the same stuff?

The bottles have no spec, only part numbers.

The performance stuff is in a rounder bottle and the normal is in a more usual squarer shape bottle, all I can describe really :D

It is definitely different stuff, but the difference I don't know.

Heck I've seen people put old engine oil in as gearbox oil and nothing bad happend!