to scrap or not to scrap?

hey up!

just had a call from the garage confirming that my gearbox is fubar - something has gone awry (flywheel?) and punched a hole in the casing, gearbox is full of bits of metal etc. etc.

i'd initially hoped it was a seal that had failed, and at the worst it was going to be a clutch and flywheel job, but the garage bill has now potentially doubled so i'm weighing up my options.

car in question is an 05 plate octavia mkii estate, 2.0 fsi 6 spd manual, around 86k on the clock.

i'm guessing current working value would be about £2k? which is about the same as the garage bill estimate...

so, any opinions on what to do?

cheers!

Surely sourcing a gearbox from eBay and banging a new clutch n fly in it would be a cheaper option

There's literally thousands of octavia's been broken across the country

G

• Like 1

thanks for the replies.

i don't know the final cost yet, he's getting some prices for boxes for me and going to get back to me tomorrow...

lowest he'd found was £400, most expensive was a grand.

flywheel £370

clutch kit £200

oils, seals, slave cylinder, etc. £200?

labour £250

+/- £1000

plus cost of gearbox...

so it's probably going to be between £1500 - £2000

i'm just weighing up my options at the moment - cost of fixing it v's scrapping it and putting £1500 (which i don't have anyway) towards something else...

ho hum!

I got a full sachs kit from eurocarparts for around 350, flywheel, clutch, bearing. Use Topcashback and get 10.5‰ back too and code extra5 for 5% OFF. Shop around for gearbox, I think a local breakers is your best bet as ebay is overpriced on motors and gearboxes. 300 seems doable to me. Then add labour

Surely sourcing a gearbox from eBay and banging a new clutch n fly in it would be a cheaper option

There's literally thousands of octavia's been broken across the country

G

Agree with this. And it's a shame at such low mileage to scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't 'scrap' it, if you didn't want to repair it yourself get it on t'bay 'spares or repair' as its not an expensive job for someone using second hand parts and doing it on their drive way.

As above, its not worth scraping for what can be done cheaply (relatively).

You'd get a couple of hundred quid scrap value, and then still need to buy another car which at the lower end of the market is likely to also need repair work to get back in order.

I got a full sachs kit from eurocarparts for around 350, flywheel, clutch, bearing. Use Topcashback and get 10.5‰ back too and code extra5 for 5% OFF. Shop around for gearbox, I think a local breakers is your best bet as ebay is overpriced on motors and gearboxes. 300 seems doable to me. Then add labour

a full clutch kit for another engine may well be cheaper, unfortunately for mine (2.0 petrol fsi) the DMF is £370 plus the clutch kit price on top...

clutch kit i can probably save £100... gearbox for £300 so maybe another £100 saved...

so i'm still looking at £1000 for parts without labour.

i guess i'll just wait until tomorrow and see what the garage man says.

just spoke to my mechanic - he can't find a gearbox for less than £500

going to go and have a look at it tomorrow and assess, but i think i'm going to get shot of it as is for spares or repair.

any offers...?