Early Oil Change

I've been thinking about changing out my oil early on, having covered just over 1500 miles now, and when checking the oil through the dipstick it's fairly dark coloured.

Local Dealer has quoted £153 to change, seems steep to me - or am I just a tight-wad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do want to change the Oil Early i would at least let it get to 3,000 miles before doing it.

Really you are spending money unnecessarily if you think this is going to extend the life of the engine.

Plenty of owners with cars that are keepers follow the Manufacturers Servicing Schedule / Guidelines and have trouble free vehicles.

If you have a new Engine with the Oil from the Factory (long Life) and suitable for Variable Servicing, then an Annual / 10,000 Mile 

service is perfectly fine.

Unless you are using the car in some sort of extreme weather and driving conditions or very low annual mileages and short journeys.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Thanks. I see national pricing is 139 for a minor service - so it should be able to get to that level.

I've periods of lots of low mileage, then much higher - so perhaps I'll follow the 10k rather than 20k intervals and be happy that'll cover it :)

The oil in diesel engines tends to go black very quickly.

There are threads on how quickly the oil being goes black on cars with only double digit mileages.

The important thing here is your annual mileage, especially with you going through periods of predominantly short journey's then lots of longer ones.

Anything close to 10,000 miles per year suits fixed intervals (10,000 miles or 12 months - whichever is reached first).

If you are closer to 20,000 miles a year or above then variable will still get you fresh oil at least once a year which I think is the minimum. Remember the engine oil lubricates the turbo as well as the engine.

£139 should be the highest price you pay for an oil and filter change from a Skoda main dealer.

This year doing my own service on the old 2005 Fabia VRS.

Oil filter about £5.00 with 5 litres engine oil about £23.00. + sump plug & washer, all the rest of your charge's would be checking levels and labour.

Got my 4 filters and oil from E-Bay, total just under £49.00, + 3 litres gear-box oil from OPIE OILS £27.00 as car now 10 years old (one off).

Must admit had my kind neighbour help me drain the engine oil; as syphoning through the dipstick hole was a total failure..LOL

I've been thinking about changing out my oil early on, having covered just over 1500 miles now, and when checking the oil through the dipstick it's fairly dark coloured.

Local Dealer has quoted £153 to change, seems steep to me - or am I just a tight-wad?

No, its a lot....lol

5 ltrs of Edge Vw 507 can be had for £40, filter under £10, labour locally £25 (with invoice and book stamped) = £75

If Im gonna lavish love on it its gotta be at my price

• 2 weeks later...

Good call, possibly a bit early but as others have said 3000 miles plus and she will be well ready.

I've been changing oil in my cars for the last few years every 6 months or 5-6 thou miles, always have a used oil sample tested at a lab and always surprised at how poor the quality is even at this mileage, lubricity is usually low and the additive pack is all but gone.

Of course the oil will last longer but its far from ideal.

Cheers

Yves

Edited by YvesD

Ive some Quantum 5-30w (5ltr) and a a filter (genuine Skoda) total £37, my local garage will do it (and have the mess) for a small but invoiced amount, invoiced cos i want proof its been done, etc "oil and filter to spec", book stamped.....call it £20, 10,000 miles seems lavish, my mondeo and epica went 15.000 without using any oil