Alton towers accident - smiler

MikeF

But as far as I understand the ride runs with more than one car on the track at a time, I think the second car was sent while the first was still going and stalled after.

Which is why I shouldn't speculate :x

As previously posted...train 1 stalled between 2 inversions. Train 2 stopped at top of lifthill by the ride system as it could 'see' train 1 hadn't cleared the sensors ahead. For some reason Train 2 was released from the lifthill sending it crashing into the back of train 1 causing the injuries.

On the news front, the area around the smiler reopened with oblivion and enterprise opened this afternoon. Interestingly the smiler logo etc has been removed from the entrance to the ride.

• 1 year later...

Merlin Entertainments in Stafford Crown Court today - first day has just been adjourned.

• Alton Towers basses expected to receive a "very large fine"
  • Theme park bosses already admitted health and safety breaches
  • Firm says new measures have been put in place
  • Smiler ride 'operated three million times before crash'
  • Five seriously injured in the crash that left two women needing amputation

Merlin are disputing the HSE's claim of "very high culpability" and are instead urging the judge to view the accident as "medium to high". The judge has just been reviewing the size of the company as under new legislation this dictates the size of the fine. In 2015, Merlin reported a turnover of £385m but the judge has asked for a month by month breakdown of turnover to assess the impact, and also wants to see bonuses awarded to directors.

The CEO received £733,000 in salary for 2015, looks like £581k plus £128k bonus perhaps? In 2014, he received a bonus of £858,000

Continues tomorrow!

This is possibly the first high profile case brought by HSE under new guidelines / legislation.

Merlin Entertainments in Stafford Crown Court today - first day has just been adjourned.

• Alton Towers basses expected to receive a "very large fine"
  • Theme park bosses already admitted health and safety breaches
  • Firm says new measures have been put in place
  • Smiler ride 'operated three million times before crash'
  • Five seriously injured in the crash that left two women needing amputation

Merlin are disputing the HSE's claim of "very high culpability" and are instead urging the judge to view the accident as "medium to high". The judge has just been reviewing the size of the company as under new legislation this dictates the size of the fine. In 2015, Merlin reported a turnover of £385m but the judge has asked for a month by month breakdown of turnover to assess the impact, and also wants to see bonuses awarded to directors.

The CEO received £733,000 in salary for 2015, looks like £581k plus £128k bonus perhaps? In 2014, he received a bonus of £858,000

Continues tomorrow!

This is possibly the first high profile case brought by HSE under new guidelines / legislation.

So the CEO is going to prison for this, right?

I mean they didn't take steps to make sure people couldn't be killed by the company, so I think, ohh 6 to 12 months inside at the companies expense should be fair.

Plus compensation to the victims, plus a large fine also.

So the CEO is going to prison for this, right?

I mean they didn't take steps to make sure people couldn't be killed by the company, so I think, ohh 6 to 12 months inside at the companies expense should be fair.

Plus compensation to the victims, plus a large fine also.

Unlikely, it will be a fine.

In fact, it's a £5m fine.

They admitted health and safety breaches, plus the fact that they admitted this very early on meant they didn't get the full £7.5m fine.

Unlikely, it will be a fine.

In fact, it's a £5m fine.

They admitted health and safety breaches, plus the fact that they admitted this very early on meant they didn't get the full £7.5m fine.

Years ago the CEO and directors became responsible for actions of their staff.

I've heard of many companies breaking the law and not one going to prison for it.

If they're not taking that risk, remind me what the big money is for.

The bit that really scares me is:

The engineers looked but could not see the stalled car, thought the computer was wrong, and over-rode the stop. This set the 16-passenger train in motion and into the empty carriage

I realise these systems can be wrong but it seems crazy that they didn't check the test car had made it round and then overrode the computer.  I work in IT and with machines and there are times when the system has to be overridden (no risk to humans thankfully) but even without specific training, I'd always thoroughly check first before overriding the computer which can take time but if the computer is right and I'm wrong then overriding it will waste a lot more time.

Edited by JohnMcL7

Story I read was that the stalled car was visible on CCTV. I would have expect the procedure to involve positively identifying the location of the first car before overriding but since no one appeared to have been properly trained it would be pretty unlikely that the procedures would be followed. Staff were allegedly under pressure to keep the ride running and received bonuses for doing so.

The £5M fine is just for the HSE. There is still the civil damages case to come but with this result I would expect it to be settled out of court.

They have released the cctv which clearly showed the stalled train. There is quite a bit of disturbing info in the investigation.

I've been on it since it reopened this season and think its great. Providing lessons have been learnt, and from what I've seen they have I think the fine was fair and justified.

Executive board in the dock for vicarious liability?

I think they should be, as from what I hear the staff we targeted on getting things going quickly. Safety is rarely the quickest route and there should have been a process including manual inspection in place. Slow but the mk1 eyeball seeing something means it is there.