What's the best way to sell a Yeti?

Sporky McGuffin

Give it a good clean, collect the necessary paperwork together and drive to a few used car places and see what they'll give you.

I got rid of my last car this way, and ended up with quite a bit more than WBAC offered - IIRC quite a few hundred quid more on a car only worth around £4k.

I went a bit like this:

- I parked up, walked in, asked if they were interested in buying my car

- they walked out and had a quick look

- we went back in, they suggested me a price

- I suggested a higher price

- we met somewhere in between

- they wrote me a cheque, I gave them keys & paperwork

- I walked to the nearest bus stop

Whole deal done in less than 10 mins, it really was that easy!

Helps if you've prepared it to showroom standard so they can pretty much just wheel it onto the forecourt.

Muddy, that's why I suggested trying a dealer who might use it as a way of saying their, say, Nissan/Suzuki was preferred by an ex Yeti driver.

Possibly a Skoda dealer doesn't want a 'used' competing with one of his/her 'new'.

I guess it's got something to do with sales psychology.

It might just work.

I tried selling my Yeti on Autotrader first of all. My car had over 450 views (or so the counter said), but I only got 1 phone call about it and didn't sell it after 3 weeks of advertising.

Money4yourmotors.com offered me more than webuyanycar.com but after a few phone calls and me supplying a load of photos to them they reduced the figure by £2,000 and even hadn't seen it, But if I would drive it to Bristol they would give me £500 more! One of the drawbacks of living ALL the way over here west in Pembrokeshire, I suppose.

Because my new Yeti had arrived I sold it to webuyanycar.com at a reasonable figure, but I have to say hey were very good to deal with and the money appeared in my bank account 3 days later.

Sold my wife's Golf on autotrader a couple of months ago, I expected it to take a while so took out their longest advert to save in the long run taking out follow up ads, her new car and wasn't due until June. The ad went live at around 11am on a Saturday morning, phone rang 15 min later, really wanted the car and came that afternoon when he finished his work. I was only prepared to drop the price £200 as I believed the car was priced correctly, he agreed and bought the car.

Good pictures, fair description and most of all a realistic price. We always believe our things are worth more than they really are.

It's not at all clear what something is 'really worth'. When it comes to selling a car the seller knows the car much better than the buyer, they have better information. The buyer doesn't know or trust the history of the car so adjusts the price downward to account for the uncertainty. Who's valuation is right?

My point is that there's no such thing as real value - it depends on a whole host of things. It's quite possible for two people to place significantly different values on the same car and both be 'right'.