Superb III Estate or Passat Mk8 Estate?

My 126,000 mile Superb Mk2 Greenline Estate is due for replacement this October. Unfortunately, my employer has decided to rationalise the makes of cars on the companu car list, deleting Skoda and Seat. Consequently, I can either ask if they'll make an exception, given that I'm a Skoda fan (335k miles in three different Skoda's), or settle instead for a Mk8 Passat Estate.

From research I've undertaken, the following observations are noted:-

1. The Superb III bootspace benefits from covers to the very useful storage areas behind each rear wheel arch. The Mk8 Passat has the same storage areas, but does not benefit from the covers.

2. It doesn't look like a full size 17" alloy spare wheel can be specified with the Superb, but can be with the Passat Mk8. If you opt for a Mk8 Passat in GT trim you can even choose a 18" alloy spare wheel as an optional extra.

3. Those with young children might be interested in the pull-out rear child seats optional with the Passat.

4. The stainless steel Superb loadspace lip protector looks nice and is far more durable than the black plastic example fitted to th Passat.

5. The German Skoda configurator shows Corrida Red, but not Rosso Brunello. The Passat can be specified with Crimson Red (Rosso Brunello), but not a solid red.

6. I was impressed with the Passat's Ergocomfort front seats when I sat in them.

Has anyone on Briskoda driven the Passat Mk8 and if so, what are your impressions? I'll be able to drive one in a couple of weeks time, although, it'll be a while before the Superb III is available to test drive.

Whilst I'd like another Superb, it all depends on my employer exercising a degree of discretion. I shall have to ask, however, I think it's likely to be a "no".

Go for the Superb - seats aside, it will be a better car for the money with lots of little detail extras IMHO and will look much better.

Oh, and it's not a Passat ;)

PS. Not driven the MK8 Passat though.....

• Like 1

I will be in a similar position around the same time but if the Superb in on sale and available to order from our lease company will be top of the list.

Passat and A6 will be the other choices.

I've been looking/reading quite a number of reviews of Superb III and Passat B8. Personal preferences of journalists aside those are main findings:

- Superb press cars had too soft suspension and it is unofficially confirmed by Skoda, that this will be adjusted for production models

- Passat had noisy rear suspension, I have no info if it was addressed

- Passat has better sound isolation than Superb (in addition to that it is possible to order double side windows for Passat)

- 2.0biturbo tdi engine of Passat is criticized for uneven power distribution (it pulls until 100 km/h and then not so much). Also probably question of reprogramming

- Superb seats not so comfortable for taller drivers

Otherwise cars are more or less the same, then comes price, taste of exterior/interior and other subjective factors. 

I've been looking/reading quite a number of reviews of Superb III and Passat B8. Personal preferences of journalists aside those are main findings:

- Superb press cars had too soft suspension and it is unofficially confirmed by Skoda, that this will be adjusted for production models

- Passat had noisy rear suspension, I have no info if it was addressed

- Passat has better sound isolation than Superb (in addition to that it is possible to order double side windows for Passat)

- 2.0biturbo tdi engine of Passat is criticized for uneven power distribution (it pulls until 100 km/h and then not so much). Also probably question of reprogramming

- Superb seats not so comfortable for taller drivers

Otherwise cars are more or less the same, then comes price, taste of exterior/interior and other subjective factors.

. Size being one of the biggest factors, both inside and out versus the Passat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Size for rear passengers, to be precise :)

Otherwise size is more or less comparable (below I include stats for saloon versions):

Superb/Passat

Length: 4861/4768 (hence the size of the boot)

Wheel base: 2841/2791

Track front: 1584/1584 (so shoulder space is the same in both)

Track rear: 1572/1568

Kerb weight. Let's take 150 Hp FWD diesel with MT

1485/1475

• 2 weeks later...

I received a mailshot from VW today and VW offered the Passat Estate SE Business 1.6 Cr 120 bhp with £1500 contribution. However, the spec has Bluetooth, adaptive cruise, front assist with emergency braking, 6.5" sat nav, ergoComfort seats , front fogs and tinted glass. Not exactly exciting and retail is £25,665!

The finance on it was 6k deposit and £249 per year for 3 years.

It will be interesting to compare the Superb, A6 and Passat with discounts and finance.

• Administrators

If new car has to be divered in October, you won't get Superb Combi III by then...

Even Passat takes >6 months in some markets so hurry up :-)

Estimate at the moment is delivery available in September. The superb should not hit too many build delays as it's not a big seller, like yeti and octavia. But granted 30d is a small window.

This is the latest PR on the estate, the dates confirmed by a SKU rep, but confirmed with "at the moment"...

• Largest boot in its class – 660- to 1950-litre volume
  • More practical than ever: 11 Simply Clever solutions in the boot
  • Launch: Superb Estate arrives in first markets in September

Mladá Boleslav, 17 June 2015 – Combining form and function, the new ŠKODA Superb Estate will be setting new standards in its segment from September. Its successful interplay between design and practicality is especially obvious at the back: the rear is not only more stylish than ever – but behind the large, wide-opening fifth door, you’ll find the largest, most practical boot in its class.

The new ŠKODA Superb Estate has the largest boot in the automotive mid-class. Although the new Superb Estate is only 23mm longer than its predecessor, the boot holds 27 litres more than before with the rear seats up. By putting the seats down in the back the load capacity will increase to almost two cubic metres: a 1950-litre load capacity is by far the best in its class, and 85 litres larger than that of the second-generation model. Even carrying long objects is possible; the front passenger seat can easily be folded down when required. This allows objects of up to 3.10 metres in length to be transported in the new Superb Estate.

The new ŠKODA Superb not only triumphs in terms of space, but also in its practical solutions. Up to 31 Simply Clever features are on offer for the new model – 11 of which are in the boot alone. 

Just as with the saloon version, the new ŠKODA Superb Estate is also optionally available with a virtual pedal, which enables you to open the electric tailgate hands-free with a simple foot movement around the bottom of the rear bumper. The function works in combination with the keyless lock and start system KESSY.

Another new addition making its debut on the new ŠKODA Superb Estate is the practical tip-to-close function that initiates the electric boot closing mechanism with a simple pull. When combining the electric bootlid with KESSY, the boot can also be closed by remote control.

Folding down the rear backrests can be done at the touch of a button in the boot of the new Superb Estate.

The variably adjustable false boot floor offers the highest practical benefits in the new ŠKODA Superb Estate. This intermediate moveable floor can divide the boot in various ways making it more flexible. The system also creates practical storage space: the boot’s coat shelf and the retractable cover can be stored under the double floor.

The roller cover has been designed as a manual retractable load cover. By applying gentle pressure, it automatically rolls back and the boot is free for loading. The roller cover also has an automatic unlocking roller blind. This means the cover will automatically move one notch back when the boot door opens.

Another practical feature is the new coat shelf, which can be found under the roller cover. This can hold flat items, such as a jacket.

Four folding hooks in the boot can help to securely transport items that might otherwise move around, for example shopping bags. The net programme is also useful here; one horizontal and two vertical nets can secure items when required. Finally, in the boot you will also find a removable LED torch, which can be used outside the vehicle. The flashlight is charged automatically in its holder as you drive, and is also magnetic. 

The new ŠKODA Superb Estate goes on sale in the UK in July, ahead of first deliveries from September.

• Like 3

Estimate at the moment is delivery available in September. The superb should not hit too many build delays as it's not a big seller, like yeti and octavia. But granted 30d is a small window.

This is the latest PR on the estate, the dates confirmed by a SKU rep, but confirmed with "at the moment"...

Thanks Colin - did they give you an indication on option pricing?!