VRS Advice

Hi Everyone,

I know this sort of thing has been covered a lot and I've done a lot of searching to find the right info. So my apologies if this has already been answered and I've missed the previous posts. If I buy one I'll be looking to keep it for 4 years at least so I want to make damn sure I'm clued up first.

All of the CAVE engine business looks like a minefield to me. With some being OK, some having engines changed and now being OK, others failing and failing multiple times etc. Best to avoid altogether?

So if I buy one I would only want one of the newer CTHE types. I understand these to be 2013 & 2014? Are these engines are relatively problem free? Or is there a chance they might develop the same problems as the CAVE ones? Is there an easy way to check the engine type when viewing a car?

Also I understand its worth looking for one with a warranty / extended warranty. Could anyone tell me how long the standard manufacturer warranty lasts for from new? 

Just trying to work out if its worth buying one of these or best avoiding for a more reliable car / engine.

Thanks in advance :-).

Pinchy

There are CTHE Engines from late 2012 on that already have been replaced, and the replaced engines already having issues.

So you just need to do the research, briskoda has dozens of similar posts to the one you made.

There is a Pinned thread at the top of this page, 

and so many others if you search.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

There are CTHE engines that Briskoda members had problems with on here.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Re the Manufacturers Warranty.

In the UK it is 3 years from the car being First Registered.

But some people paid for an Extended 2 Years from new,  so there are used cars with a 5 year warranty.

Then there is a 12 Month Warranty from purchase with a Skoda Approved Used Car.

Also some cars that had engines replaced have a Extended Warranty on the Engine where the owner got that Gesture from Skoda UK.

Cars with Engines Replaced should not put you off.

Some CAVE engine cars from 2010-2012 late have new very good engines fitted in the past while.

There are Briskoda Members Ex cars up for sale at dealers that are worth checking out,

and a Near New Estate car up for sale that is a real bargain.

Other older ones as well.

Cars as they left the Factory.  CAVE or CTHE,

Bottom of the Drivers Door Pillar.  there is a Sticker that shows  'CAVE' or 'CTHE'.

So cars built up to late 2012 should show 'CAVE'.

Cars late 2012 on might be CTHE, unless a CAVE First Registered late 2012 early 2013.

But the engine in the car could be anything, so you need to trust to the Skoda UK Customer Services Computer 

and the Person that Fitted or Rebuilt an engine if that was done Informing Skoda UK and inputting to the computer.

Changing Engine Numbers, informing the DVLA, Stamping Service Books, Putting a new Sticker in the Service Manual & Spare Tyre well etc.

But that is the same with Service Campaign work having been done on the DSG Gearboxes and if done or not.

Trust in Skoda UK CS & Skoda Dealers to check and update Computer information, service books, apply stickers etc.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I've had a cave engined vrs and it was fine, it did use a bit of oil but nothing excessive. I've now got a cthe vrs and it's BRILLIANT, doesn't use any oil at all and I've had it just over a year and (touch wood) all is good so far

• Like 2

If 7 out of 10 CAVE had no issues then you have a great chance of a good one,

then if only 3 in 100 CTHE have problems so far, then you have an even better chance.

But if you get 1 of the 3 in 10 or 3 in 100 then you can be stuffed without help from a Warranty.

& remember that is just as good as the information that is put into it, and even Skoda Dealerships are not that good at doing that,

including the Service Plan information when there were changes of ownership, and even checking Service Campaign work 

if done or not on cars they are selling as 'Skoda Approved Used cars'.

Hi Everyone,

I know this sort of thing has been covered a lot and I've done a lot of searching to find the right info. So my apologies if this has already been answered and I've missed the previous posts. If I buy one I'll be looking to keep it for 4 years at least so I want to make damn sure I'm clued up first.

All of the CAVE engine business looks like a minefield to me. With some being OK, some having engines changed and now being OK, others failing and failing multiple times etc. Best to avoid altogether?

So if I buy one I would only want one of the newer CTHE types. I understand these to be 2013 & 2014? Are these engines are relatively problem free? Or is there a chance they might develop the same problems as the CAVE ones? Is there an easy way to check the engine type when viewing a car?

Also I understand its worth looking for one with a warranty / extended warranty. Could anyone tell me how long the standard manufacturer warranty lasts for from new? 

Just trying to work out if its worth buying one of these or best avoiding for a more reliable car / engine.

Thanks in advance :-).

Pinchy

I have  2010 vrs and mine has been fine no problems at all and mines not standard either its a bit pot luck really, they are good cars and quick when mapped etc but i came from a mk1 vrs too as you would be and i still prefer the mk1 so much so i will be selling shortly to get another, something about the diesel version IMO, just a better feeling when driving the car and the feel of it but if its the car you want enjoy it 

Thanks for all the replies!

I have  2010 vrs and mine has been fine no problems at all and mines not standard either its a bit pot luck really, they are good cars and quick when mapped etc but i came from a mk1 vrs too as you would be and i still prefer the mk1 so much so i will be selling shortly to get another, something about the diesel version IMO, just a better feeling when driving the car and the feel of it but if its the car you want enjoy it 

I love my MK1 VRS! It's been such a reliable car to me but now I want a more modern car. The DSG gearbox has got my really interested. And now my VRS has hit 80K miles I guess it would be a good time to sell before the miles get too high.

And if you can't be sure of the history go to a local Skoda service agent and ask them for the service/warranty history.

Would they actually give me this info? If I buy one I think it may have to be a "skoda approved" car from a skoda garage. This should put me in a better position if something goes wrong shouldn't it?

If 7 out of 10 CAVE had no issues then you have a great chance of a good one,

then if only 3 in 100 CTHE have problems so far, then you have an even better chance.

But if you get 1 of the 3 in 10 or 3 in 100 then you can be stuffed without help from a Warranty.

Those odds look a lot better! I think I'll definitely be looking for a CTHE version.

What sort of mileage do these cars tend to stay reliable?

They should be reliable for as long as they are properly serviced and maintained, given good fluids, Petrol, Oil, Filters and Spark Plugs.

A few of us have cars 5 years old now and they have no issues.

'lol-lol' has done over 90.000 miles with his Twincharger, there are Seat Ibiza Cupra that have done over 100,000 miles without issue.

a CTHE engine vRS or 2013 Seat Ibiza are 2 1/2 year old at the most so only time can tell.

Best go drive a few and see if they are to your liking,

great cars, and some very good bargains to be had.

Just check out the cars history, at a Skoda Dealer Service Desk,  or ask Skoda UK Customer Services,

they will tell you the Service and Warranty History as far as they know it.

No need to be put off by a car having a new engine been fitted.

But if a car had Oil Consumption Tests, Breather Pipe / Valve mod, but no further actions taking,

be careful on that, because the underlying issue might still be there, and the Owner / Driver might have given 

up on it and punted it.

This is an example of a common experience,

it is a minefield trying to get a good one, but you ask the Seller all they know, ask a Skoda Dealership 

& ask Skoda UK Customer Services.

If you do not ask, many Skoda Dealers will not tell you even that a car has a replacement engine fitted.

You can end up with a cracking car and at a very good price.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/356305-new-fabia-vrs-14tsi-owner

Edited by goneoffSKi

I purchased a 60 plate CAVE VRS and it suffered the dreaded oil consumption thing (already had a CAVE engine replacement in 2011), I got it from a skoda dealer which given me 12 months Skoda approved warranty and after 2 oil consumption tests which consisted of 2x 180 mile journeys it still failed so mine went in for an engine replacement and now im running the CTHE. I didn't pay a penny towards any of this as skoda customer services taken into account I had the car only 2 months and jotted everything down as soon as I got the car so they paid for everything even the labour charges. You only live once, go for it.

• Like 3

PS

It does not matter about buying a 'Skoda Approved Used Car' at a Skoda Dealership and possibly paying more,

if you find a car with the remainder of the Original Manufacturers Warranty, 3 or 5 years if an Extension was bought when new.

But the cars needs to have been serviced as the Manufacturers Schedule & at as the Warranty T&C's tell you, 

and that will be using the correct parts etc.

Also the car needs not to have been remapped.

Skoda Dealers might sell Skoda Approved Used Cars without Servicing them, or doing Service Campaign work,

resetting the ECU etc, they only do Checks and sell the cars, and some not as well prepared as an Independent or a private seller will.

It does maybe help if you buy at a Skoda Dealer than say as some have bought at a Seat Dealership,

but it is no guarantee of getting a better car, or better after sale customer services.

Thanks for all the replies!

I love my MK1 VRS! It's been such a reliable car to me but now I want a more modern car. The DSG gearbox has got my really interested. And now my VRS has hit 80K miles I guess it would be a good time to sell before the miles get too high.

Would they actually give me this info? If I buy one I think it may have to be a "skoda approved" car from a skoda garage. This should put me in a better position if something goes wrong shouldn't it?

Those odds look a lot better! I think I'll definitely be looking for a CTHE version.

What sort of mileage do these cars tend to stay reliable?

Fair enough yeah dsg is good have to admit but 80k its not even run in yet lol well good luck and enjoy

Because there is no concrete way of telling if you have a good one and/or the seller is telling the truth then I personally would only buy one within manufacturers warranty

Like George says, its a bit of a lottery and it could well be tears at bedtime

• Like 1

I did this last month and ended up going for a November 2013 CTHE engine. While there were a number of CAVEs about which said they hadn't had an issue the mileage of most of the ones I was looking at was about where they started showing up problems. The CTHE gave me a bit of extra peace of mind, as well as feeling noticeably quicker when doing back to back test drives.

I really enjoy it- we also have a 2012 1.6tdi and I'm a big fan of turbo cars. It feels great and the extra speed is a bonus. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but the steering also feels more weighty on the VRS which is an improvement.

Other than having 205 or 215 tyres on,  

you can Reduce the Steering Assistance, and the XDS, Also Brake Assist.

A Used Car might not have Steering Assist at Factory setting,  you need to plug it in and see what the setting is at,

often it makes a difference when trying different cars, some factory setting some adjusted,

i have even seen ones on Disabled extra assist and someone complaining the steering was very light.