58 Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI PD DPF Greenline

Yesterday, 10:28

58 Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI PD DPF Greenline

Hi all thinking about buying the above mentioned car, could anyone please let me know what to look out for and what questions to be asking the seller??

Cambelt done at 74000! Currant mileage 104000 with full service history.... 

Have these had the dreaded DPF problems like the 2.0 TDi PD?

Thanks in advance?

The DPF is not a problem, provided you don't spend all day driving around too slow or you get on to a dual carriageway to give it a blast now and then, particularly if the filter light comes on.

I use mine as a driving school car and the DPF seems fine at around 80K. Any other issues I may have had are most likely rectified in yours already, with the exception of door wiring, which can snap and need repairing occasionally, most likely due to plenty of opening and closing of the doors!

• Like 1

There is no temp gauge I'm afraid.

In start up you will see a blue Coolant light which represents cold. once the engine is up to temp the light goes out.

If the light is orange, your Coolant level is low.

If it's red, it's red as it is with a normal dial temp gauge.

• Like 2

There is no temp gauge I'm afraid.

In start up you will see a blue Coolant light which represents cold. once the engine is up to temp the light goes out.

If the light is orange, your Coolant level is low.

If it's red, it's red as it is with a normal dial temp gauge.

+1 to this.

Although i dont think its anywhere near up to temp when the light goes off tbh. My engine still 'feels' cold (hard to explain, but youll know what i mean im sure) when the light goes out, which after just 1 mile usually.

• Like 1

Yes, I have to agree the engine still seems 'numb' until after 5 mins or so.it's noticeable when in mid rev range and wanting to push further.

I suppose once the blue Coolant light goes out that's the Coolant up to temp and the thermostat opens, but the actual engine and block etc are still yet to warm up

• Like 1

Yes, I have to agree the engine still seems 'numb' until after 5 mins or so.it's noticeable when in mid rev range and wanting to push further.

I suppose once the blue Coolant light goes out that's the Coolant up to temp and the thermostat opens, but the actual engine and block etc are still yet to warm up

Im careful for a long while after the light goes off tbh

Im not even sure the coolant is up to temp. My mums got a polo with the same engine as mine (pre revision 64bhp one though) with a gauge and its hardly moved by at the point my blue light goes off.

Id be interested to see what coolant temp the blue light does go off tbh. I suspect it isnt very high

• Like 1

No blue temperature light coming on from cold? only red one for a few seconds at start up?

Care to take a picture of your display and upload it?

When you just turn the ignition onto the second notch (when all the lights come on) can you see s blue light on the mph side of the clocks?

• Like 1

I have just been to switch the ignition on but I don't see a blue light.

Im in my car atm so tried to take a picture but it wont even come on when the ignitions turned because the engines warm.

It should be in the manual too tbf

Faulty sensor in the expansion bottle maybe? If you search on the octavia

forums there are loads of threads about scraping the two metal prongs on the sensor inside the expansion bottle with a screwdriver, to clean the contacts.

Not sure if it's related? Did your car come with a warranty?

Edited by storm blue 2
  • Like 1

sorry to hijack but whats DPF And why is it best avoided.

does greenline mean tax free like vw in bluemotion

DPF is diesel particle filter. If you only do short journeys then your filter in the exhaust can get clogged up with no remedy except for a costly new exhaust. A lot of the early problems with DPF have now been cured with heater type systems that can still run even after you have stopped the car that burn the soot out of the filter.

My wifes Seat Leon burner comes on about twice a week because most of her journeys are short. I would say if your journeys are less than 10 miles keep well away from diesel cars with DPF.

thanks for that daughter after car looking at 1.2 then she got sidelined to greenline, getting desperate for a car

she only be doing short trips, is that because engine oil doesn't get up to emough heat

It's more the engine and exhaust. The exhaust needs to be hot enough to burn off the soot.

thanks for that daughter after car looking at 1.2 then she got sidelined to greenline, getting desperate for a car

she only be doing short trips, is that because engine oil doesn't get up to emough heat

She'd be better with a petrol or a pre DPF diesel then.

A greenline 2 will cause hassle in time if she only does short trips.

You need to do trips atleast 15-20 miles to get it properly up to temp

1.2 petrol was what initially after, looking at cars not all seem  as advertised and don't really want to buy from a dealer

so she started looking at diesels, it would be fine if I was driving it, lol but she will be doing just short trips, making life easier with a toddler.

My cars a diesel but I do the miles, glad I read up on DPF wasn't aware of it