Roomster heavy steering

Does the Roomster have the heaviest steering in the product range. I found the Yeti courtesy car had a lighter feel to the steering and my sister-in-law's Fabia also had a lighter feel. I suppose one can argue that the Roomster has more feel and weight to the steering. I realise that a lot rests with the tyres and pressures but my pressures are ok and the tyres are factory fitted Hankooks.

To be honest I've only driven test drives on two Roomsters and a Fabia but that was about a month or so before I got my Roomster and not noticed my steering being heavy but too long ago to remember the test drives. If anything I find the whole driving experience to be fine with mine.

I had the car from new and last week I had the steering rack arms replaced because of the creaking due to them lacking lubrication. If anything it has made the steering lighter but not as light as the Yeti. The Yeti felt that it was driving on ice. My roomie has now done 9K. I will have a word with the dealer.

The Steering assist can be adjusted, it has a Disability Assist setting...

Thanks George, I didn't know that.

My SE is an ex-Motability car.  Although the tyres on my SE are slightly narrower than they were on my Scout, the steering does seem disproportionately lighter.

• Like 1

Worth having a Dealership Workshop check settings.

Motability Vehicles are often returned to Dealers then go straight on to Auction then into the trade and not at Factory Setting,

and never checked, 

as are Lease & Private Cars.

Steering Assist and Brake Assist can have been reset, as might the XDS where fitted, and the new owner has no idea.

As the Technicians Servicing or Preparing a vehicle have none.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/236545-power-steering-adjustment

There are other Briskoda Threads on the Subject over the years.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

how much tread on the tyres? (you said factory fitted hankooks)

reason I ask is I noticed on many cars the steering appears heavier as the tyres get close to the limit, I assume partly due to less movement in the tread blocks

also some info on age and mileage will help

• 1 month later...

The steering on our new 1.2 tsi se Roomster is certainly heavier than it was on any Octavia, Yeti, Fabia and Citigo we've previously owned, but I like it that way as it also has more feel than any of the others.

I drove a Rapid Spaceback last year, it was too with 1.2 TSI 105. My Roomster's steering is heavier but I like it that way because it does have more feel.